[comp.sys.novell] Best remote workstation setup

levin@world.std.com (Levin F Magruder) (01/09/91)

We want to set up a call in system that lets users call up and
use the network at home. . . preferably just a remote terminal
type deal.   Our dealer recommended something called a W-nim
board over PCanywhere-type software, since we'll want to allow
two or three people to use it at once.  What, if any, are the
alternatives, and is a W-nim board usable with 2400 baud modems?

wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (william sadler) (01/10/91)

levin@world.std.com (Levin F Magruder) writes:

>We want to set up a call in system that lets users call up and
>use the network at home. . . preferably just a remote terminal
>type deal.   Our dealer recommended something called a W-nim
>board over PCanywhere-type software, since we'll want to allow
>two or three people to use it at once.  What, if any, are the
>alternatives, and is a W-nim board usable with 2400 baud modems?

I just purchased a package called Net Remote Plus that uses
co/session for remote dial-ins.  The price for a LAN server
was $275 at an Educational discount.  I don't know what it
is for retail.  Rather than get a single machine with a
multi-port card in it like the system you describe I opted
to go with Net Remote since it allows any machine on the
network to act as a host or a remote.  This means that I can buy
everyone who wants to use it a modem so that they can use
the phone line in their office for dial in purposes.  At
$75 a whack for 2400 baud modems I can get quite a few before
I pay for the cost of a dedicated machine and a card.  Of course,
a LAN with more users would probably need a different solution.
I ave about 100 users, but only about 10-20 are interested in the
dial-in service.

Will

*Will Sadler		Indiana University Law School-Bloomington    *
*will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu	wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu       *

louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) (01/11/91)

From: wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (william sadler)
Subject: Re: Best remote workstation setup
Date: 9 Jan 91 16:25:58 GMT
Sender: news@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (USENET News System)

levin@world.std.com (Levin F Magruder) writes:

>We want to set up a call in system that lets users call up and
>use the network at home. . . preferably just a remote terminal
>type deal.   Our dealer recommended something called a W-nim
>board over PCanywhere-type software, since we'll want to allow
>two or three people to use it at once.  What, if any, are the
>alternatives, and is a W-nim board usable with 2400 baud modems?

I just purchased a package called Net Remote Plus that uses
co/session for remote dial-ins.  The price for a LAN server
was $275 at an Educational discount.  I don't know what it
is for retail.  Rather than get a single machine with a
multi-port card in it like the system you describe I opted
to go with Net Remote since it allows any machine on the
network to act as a host or a remote.  This means that I can buy
everyone who wants to use it a modem so that they can use
the phone line in their office for dial in purposes.  At
$75 a whack for 2400 baud modems I can get quite a few before
I pay for the cost of a dedicated machine and a card.  Of course,
a LAN with more users would probably need a different solution.
I ave about 100 users, but only about 10-20 are interested in the
dial-in service.

Will,

I think this argument is like what is the best way to crack a boiled egg.
Levin's dealer recommendation has a higher initial HW cost, but yours
has a higher ongoing cost (unless your user can share their voice line
with the dial-up task.  Some installations have funny PBX that would cause
trouble with your method.  Also, co/session programs are not good for
privacy.  People can see exactly what you are doing.  And what happen if
a user forgot to invoke the comm program when he was leaving?

The bottom line is both methods have merit.  One just have to analyze the
needs.  The important one, of course, is how many concurrent dial-ups you
must have (must means that a user absolutely cannot wait to get in) and
how many users require this function.

Paul

levin@world.std.com (Levin F Magruder) (01/15/91)

First I asked:

William Sandler said:
>I just purchased a package called Net Remote Plus that uses
>co/session for remote dial-ins.
>Rather than get a single machine with a
>multi-port card in it like the system you describe I opted
>to go with Net Remote since it allows any machine on the
>network to act as a host or a remote.  This means that I can buy
>everyone who wants to use it a modem so that they can use
>the phone line in their office for dial in purposes.

And,
In article <1991Jan10.231535.27254@porthos.cc.bellcore.com> louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) writes:

>Will,
>
>Levin's dealer recommendation has a higher initial HW cost, but yours
>has a higher ongoing cost (unless your user can share their voice line
>with the dial-up task.  Some installations have funny PBX that would cause
>trouble with your method.  Also, co/session programs are not good for
>privacy.  People can see exactly what you are doing.  And what happen if
>a user forgot to invoke the comm program when he was leaving?
>
>The bottom line is both methods have merit.  One just have to analyze the
>needs.  The important one, of course, is how many concurrent dial-ups you
>must have (must means that a user absolutely cannot wait to get in) and
>how many users require this function.

We only need a few concurrent dial-ups, and privacy isn't a big
deal.  Simplicity for the users, and for me, the technically-illiterate
administrator, is.  What I want is one phone number that anyone can
call and get a "login:" prompt, and have it all work as if they were
at work.

We couldn't use the dialtone off our phones' wiring, because it's a
meridian system, and it's digitized.  If I understand W. Sandler's
set-up, each office has to have it's own phone line, right?  There
wouldn't be any way of setting that up as a shared pool of, say,
three lines.

So no one has any objection to me placing an order for the w-nim board?