[comp.sys.novell] Novell support on Sun workstation

ehaubach@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Edward Haubach) (01/07/91)

In article <1991Jan3.133103.6712@hellgate.utah.edu>
haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes:

>I want to have a workstation with data accessible by everybody on campus.
>This workstation needs to speak a variety of protocols, ideally TCP/IP,
>Novell and Appletalk, to serve essentially everybody.  So I would need
>software that could perform server functions for PCs running as Novell
>clients.

One possible solution is Portable NetWare.  As far as I know there is no
such thing for Sun workstations but there is for the NCR System 3300/3400
SV.4 machines.  A 3300/3400 running NCR NetWare/X can serve PCs running
as Novell clients.  Macintosh clients can access the server via a Novell
NetWare bridge running the Mac VAPs.  The System 3300/3400 can also run
TCP/IP and NFS to allow it to access other UNIX machines.  This allows
PC, Mac, and UNIX machines to access files on the 3300/3400.

Ed Haubach

jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) (01/08/91)

Interactive also has a unix/netware server based on portable netware.

lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) (01/12/91)

In article <647@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM> Ed Haubach writes:
[ .. a brief plug for Portable Netware on NCR hardware... ]

jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) writes:
>Interactive also has a unix/netware server based on portable netware.

OK, while we're at it...
Altos, DG, HP, MIPS, Prime, and of course, Wang all have (I believe) announced
some UNIX hardware supporting Portable Netware.  They are probably selling
it separately from the hardware, so if you already own the right hardware,
you can buy it.

--
Lyle                  Wang           lws@capybara.comm.wang.com
508 967 2322     Lowell, MA, USA     Source code: the _ultimate_ documentation.

dougm@ico.isc.com (Doug McCallum) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan11.165918.12124@comm.wang.com> lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) writes:
>OK, while we're at it...
>Altos, DG, HP, MIPS, Prime, and of course, Wang all have (I believe) announced
>some UNIX hardware supporting Portable Netware.  They are probably selling
>it separately from the hardware, so if you already own the right hardware,
>you can buy it.

The typical Novell Portable Netware contract restricts sale to one's own OS.
You have to have both the right hardware and the right OS.  This may not be
universally true but appears to be for 386 based UNIX although Novell has the
option to change things.

Doug McCallum
Interactive Systems Corp
dougm@ico.isc.com