[comp.sys.novell] Lost PATH

klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (01/10/91)

I am mystified as to why upon LOGOUT, the DOS PATH is not being reset to
what it was originally before a LOGIN.  Any suggestions?

abrams@cs.columbia.edu (Steven Abrams) (01/10/91)

In article <2752.278b55af@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com>
klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>I am mystified as to why upon LOGOUT, the DOS PATH is not being reset to
>what it was originally before a LOGIN.  Any suggestions?

I've seen this before. Near as I can see, it's a result of modifying
the path using the PATH command rather than the MAP SEARCH command.
Any more definative comments?

~~Steve

--
/*************************************************
 *

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (01/10/91)

klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>I am mystified as to why upon LOGOUT, the DOS PATH is not being reset to
>what it was originally before a LOGIN.  Any suggestions?

I suspect that your Netware search mappings are "overwriting" the DOS path
entries.  Try using MAP INSERT S1:=  and so on.  The keyword INSERT tells
Netware to insert the mapping before what's there rather than overwriting
it.
--
 "And now, adding color                 |    Il Hwan Oh
  a group of anonymous, Latin-American  |    University of Washington, Tacoma

tim@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Timothy Lange) (01/10/91)

What I've seen happen is people use the MAP SEARCH... command instead
of MAP INSERT SEARCH...  The first will 'replace' entries in the path
the second will insert entries at the beginning of the path.  At
logout all network search paths are removed.  So if you use the MAP
INSERT...  to set the path you will wind up with what you originally
had before logging into the network.

Another feature you should be aware of, use MAP INSERT SEARCH16:=...
for all your network search directories to append them to your current
path.  Again, just the network drives will be removed at logout.  This
is what I use to guarrantee my local stuff is looked at first in the
path.
--
Tim Lange.

Purdue U. Computing Center/ENAD Bldg./W. Lafayette, IN  47907/317-494-1787
Internet=tim@cc.purdue.edu  Bitnet=TIM@PURCCVM  CIS=75410,525

bdelvecc@kinetics.com (Brian Del Vecchio) (01/12/91)

In order to preserve the original DOS path after Logout, we use the
strategy of always using MAP INSERT for creating new search drives.
This will preserve the DOS 'search drives' (entries in path variable)
while you are logged in, and when Logout deletes the NetWare search
drives from the path, the DOS entries will be left untouched.

Here's my login script:

     map display off

REM ***** My preferred mappings
     map root F:=sys:users/bdelvecc

     map M:=proj:nw386
     map G:=proj:nw386/devenv
     map N:=proj:nw386/devenv/nlm
     map p:=proj:nw386/bdv/stack
     map root S:=proj:nw386/stack

     map H:=s:sys/h
     map I:=s:include
     map J:=g:include
     map L:=s:lib
     map R:=S:release/v0300b9

REM ***** Search mappings;
REM ***** always use MAP INS to preserve original DOS path
     map ins s4:=sys:public
     map ins s4:=proj:nw386/bdv/wv
     map ins s4:=g:bin
     map ins s4:=sys:local/bin
     map ins s4:=f:bin

REM ***** Try to attach to wc-fields *****
     if "%P_STATION" != "00001B02FF4C" then begin
          attach wc-fields/bdelvecc
          if "%ERRORLEVEL" == "0" then begin
               map rem z:
               map t:=wc-fields/sys:system
               map insert s4:=wc-fields/sys:public
          end
     end

     drive F:
     #sys:public/capture
     DOS SET DEV_ENV="M:\\nw386\\devenv"

  brian del vecchio; software engineer; novell, inc.; walnut creek, ca, usa;
[----------------------------------------------------------------------------]
 "Our young people are being lied to.  [The military] is not a place for
  education and adventure.  It's about killing.  That's all."
	- Leonard McNeil, American Friends Service Committee
 "It's morally wrong to kill thousands of Arabs to protect America's interests.
  And minorities shouldn't die for it.  I was too naive when I enlisted to
  understand that it's the minorities that get screwed by a war."
	- USMC Cpl Tahan Jones, African American, Conscientious Objector
[---the opinions expressed are mine...the official Big Red Word may differ---]

karinc@isc.intel.com (Karin Coffee) (01/18/91)

In article <2752.278b55af@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>I am mystified as to why upon LOGOUT, the DOS PATH is not being reset to
>what it was originally before a LOGIN.  Any suggestions?

I had this problem!  The answer has to do with search paths.  If you simply
do a MAP S1= command, you will lose part of your DOS path.  If you do a
MAP INSERT S1= command, the search path will be added to your DOS path, and
when you logout, your DOS path will still exist.

To the best of my knowledge, Novell doesn't state this anywhere in the
documentation.  I *finally* got the answer from my tech support folks (not
Novell).  This little problem exists in every version of NetWare that I've
seen (Adv.NetWare 2.12 and 2.15C, NetWare 386 3.0 and 3.1).  Adding INS to
each mapping solved the problem.

   Karin Coffee				Intel Supercomputer Systems Division
   Network/System Administration	15201 NW Greenbrier Parkway
   The LAN Lords 			Beaverton, OR  97201
   karinc@isc.intel.com 		(503) 629-7693