[comp.sys.novell] Why does NET$ACCT.DAT lock up?

rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Owen Baker) (01/16/91)

Under Netware 3.1 Rev A we are finding that for no apparent reason the
NET$ACCT.DAT files some times locks up for connection 0 and further entries
by the server into this file are not possible. This causes repeated error
messages at the server console everytime someone logs in or out, or whenever
access to this file is required.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have suggestions? Currently the only
way to clear the problem is to reboot the server, attempting to forceably
remove the lock has so far proven impossible. Our configuration is:

Netware 3.1 Rev A (Aust Uni Consortium release)
Server - IBM PS2 80-A31, 110Mb IBM ESDI, 320 IBM SCSI, both mounted as SYS:
10.2 Mb memory
Accounting enabled.
PSERVER NLM loaded, RPRINTER being used.
BTRIEVE loaded
RCONSOLE loaded
NE2-32 LAN adapter using ETHERNET_II
BYU packet drivers being used on workstations.

+-------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|  Owen Baker                   |  Communication Services Unit              |
|  rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au   |  RMIT - Victoria University of Technology |
|  (61) (3) 660-2038            |  Melbourne, Victoria, Australia           |
+-------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (01/18/91)

In article <7847@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Owen Baker) writes:
>Under Netware 3.1 Rev A we are finding that for no apparent reason the
>NET$ACCT.DAT files some times locks up for connection 0 and further entries
>by the server into this file are not possible. This causes repeated error
>messages at the server console everytime someone logs in or out, or whenever
>access to this file is required.

The NET$ACCT.DAT file contains the accounting information since you have
accounting turned on. If you dont need accounting, turn it off.  If your
NET$ACCT.DAT file is corrupted ATOTAL will probably crash if you run it
anyway.  You may have to delete the file from time to time, to keep it
from getting to big.  This might be the source of your problems.
I hope this helps!
Ken

Network Support Services:

Ken Haynes, Certified Netware Engineer