[comp.sys.novell] Novell Menu Bug?

easton@edmund.cs.andrews.edu (Jeff Easton) (01/17/91)

OK, here's a question for all you novell.net.experts...

  I am setting up a Novell 2.15c network for a department at the
local University.  Since many of the people using it are computer
illiterate, I set up the Novell Menu utility to run automatically at
login time via the EXIT "MENU xxx" command in the system login script.

  One of the menu choices is Logout.  The manuals infer that the Logout
command be preceeded by a exclamation mark, ie, !LOGOUT to allow the
menu command to close and delete its batch files before pulling the rug
out from under itself.

  The problem is that this version of the menu program (v1.23) does not
  interpet the ! prefix and passes the whole thing to the command line
  where is fails (because there is no !LOGOUT command).

  I have this setup on a older version of netware (v2.15) with a menu
version of 1.22 and it runs as advertised.  Is there a new prefix that
must be used for the newer Netware?

  Of course, if I delete the exclamation mark, then when the user logs out,
the menu does send the proper command and the user is logged out.  But then
weird things usually happen, like computer lockups.

  For reference, the workstations are a mix of ZDS computers running
MS-DOS 4.01 and 3.3+.

  Any ideas?

--
	Jeff Easton			Zenith Data Systems
	Systems Engineer		OEM Engineering

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (01/18/91)

In article <664046861wkn21304@edmund.cs.andrews.edu> easton@edmund.cs.andrews.edu (Jeff Easton) writes:

>command be preceeded by a exclamation mark, ie, !LOGOUT to allow the
>menu command to close and delete its batch files before pulling the rug
>out from under itself.
>
>  The problem is that this version of the menu program (v1.23) does not
>  interpet the ! prefix and passes the whole thing to the command line
>  where is fails (because there is no !LOGOUT command).
>
>  I have this setup on a older version of netware (v2.15) with a menu
>version of 1.22 and it runs as advertised.  Is there a new prefix that
>must be used for the newer Netware?
>
>  Any ideas?
There is a reported bug in the Menu.exe file that ships with V3.1 of NW.
Copy the MENU.ZIP file from library 6 of the Netwire forums on Compuserve.
Replace the MENUPARZ file and the problem should go away.

You will be running a version of menu.exe that is version 1.23 and a version
of menuparz.exe that is version 1.22.  This will NOT solve another problem
with use of the logout command from a batch file called from the menu.

KEN

Network Support Services:

Ken Haynes, Certified Netware Engineer

ckinsman@eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman - EE major) (01/18/91)

In article <664046861wkn21304@edmund.cs.andrews.edu> easton@edmund.cs.andrews.edu (Jeff Easton) writes:
>  One of the menu choices is Logout.  The manuals infer that the Logout
>command be preceeded by a exclamation mark, ie, !LOGOUT to allow the
>menu command to close and delete its batch files before pulling the rug
>out from under itself.
>
>  The problem is that this version of the menu program (v1.23) does not
>  interpet the ! prefix and passes the whole thing to the command line
>  where is fails (because there is no !LOGOUT command).
>
>  I have this setup on a older version of netware (v2.15) with a menu
>version of 1.22 and it runs as advertised.  Is there a new prefix that
>must be used for the newer Netware?

I picked up on CIS that this version of Menu for some reason left this command
out.  They have an updated version on Netwire I believe.

Chris