[comp.sys.novell] windows 3.0 and novell conflict

jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) (01/17/91)

Try Two things:  Upgrade netx to rev D. and put these two lines
in your SYSTEM.INI file (windows)

[NETWARE]
NWSHAREHANDLES=TRUE

the two lines keep dynamic mem pool 1 from getting too fat.  They may not
help ypur workstation but they sure will help your server.

Also, do the install while you are logged into the server.

jamesp@world.std.com

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (01/18/91)

In article <17737@brahms.udel.edu> jarom@brahms.udel.edu (Carol Jarom) writes:
>I recently purchased a Zenith Z-386 SX machine with a 40 meg harddrive
>and upgraded to 6 MB of memory.  I can run Windows 3.0 on my machine if
>I don't login to my Novell network first in 386 enhanced mode.  However,
>if I load my network software first, I can only run Windows in real or
>standard mode, 386 enhanced mode hangs my whole system.
>Here are the specs on the software:MS-DOS ver. 4.01, Bios ver. 4.00.03,
>Packet Driver 3COM 3c501, ver 7.2, IPX v3.01 Rev. A(windows release),
>and Netware v3.01 Rev A XMS Workstation shell(windows release).  We are
>running Novell Netware SFT 286 2.15 Rev.c.

IPX and XMSNET4 are up to rev D.  You should check out upgrading to these
versions. XMSNET4 should have a date of 09-18-90 and a size of 56152 bytes.
Your IPX of course will have whatever date you genned it.

Ken

Network Support Services:

Ken Haynes, Certified Netware Engineer

ckinsman@eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman - EE major) (01/18/91)

In article <17737@brahms.udel.edu> jarom@brahms.udel.edu (Carol Jarom) writes:
>Packet Driver 3COM 3c501, ver 7.2, IPX v3.01 Rev. A(windows release),
>and Netware v3.01 Rev A XMS Workstation shell(windows release).  We are
>running Novell Netware SFT 286 2.15 Rev.c.

Netware shells have been through 5 revs since then.  You might want to try and
acquire 3.01E shells.

Chris

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (01/20/91)

ckinsman@eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman - EE major) writes:
>In article <17737@brahms.udel.edu> jarom@brahms.udel.edu (Carol Jarom) writes:
>>Packet Driver 3COM 3c501, ver 7.2, IPX v3.01 Rev. A(windows release),
>>and Netware v3.01 Rev A XMS Workstation shell(windows release).  We are
>>running Novell Netware SFT 286 2.15 Rev.c.
>Netware shells have been through 5 revs since then.  You might want to try and
>acquire 3.01E shells.

The latest shells are:

IPX: v3.01 Rev B
NETx:  v3.01 Rev E
NETBIOS: v3.01 Rev C

on rodan.acs.syr.edu (via anonymous ftp).  You also have to make sure you're
using the BYU shells to run the IPX over the packet driver (did you remember
to do this?).

beyond this, I would make sure that your windows ini files are up to par by
making sure that the proper parameters are given to it.

(I also heard that you need to add a line in the SHELL.CFG file for the IPX
shell:

SHOW DOT=ON

or something to that effect so that windows can see the . and .. entries,
someone confirm this for me.)

Bob
--
   Bob Kusumoto                               |    Find the electric messiah!
Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu       |          The AC/DC God!

ckinsman@eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman - EE major) (01/21/91)

In article <1991Jan17.214137.29465@techbook.com> kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) writes:
>In article <17737@brahms.udel.edu> jarom@brahms.udel.edu (Carol Jarom) writes:

>IPX and XMSNET4 are up to rev D.  You should check out upgrading to these
>versions. XMSNET4 should have a date of 09-18-90 and a size of 56152 bytes.
>Your IPX of course will have whatever date you genned it.
>
>Ken

Actually they are up to Rev E now and I have heard that they will soon be up to
rev F.

Chris

jsdph@acad3.alaska.edu (HARRIS DENNIS P) (01/21/91)

In article <17737@brahms.udel.edu>, jarom@brahms.udel.edu (Carol Jarom)
writes...
>I recently purchased a Zenith Z-386 SX machine with a 40 meg harddrive
>and upgraded to 6 MB of memory.  I can run Windows 3.0 on my machine if
>I don't login to my Novell network first in 386 enhanced mode.  However,
>if I load my network software first, I can only run Windows in real or
>standard mode, 386 enhanced mode hangs my whole system.
>Here are the specs on the software:MS-DOS ver. 4.01, Bios ver. 4.00.03,
>Packet Driver 3COM 3c501, ver 7.2, IPX v3.01 Rev. A(windows release),
>and Netware v3.01 Rev A XMS Workstation shell(windows release).  We are
>running Novell Netware SFT 286 2.15 Rev.c.

there were a number of problems with the revision A, B, and C
3.01 shells and IPX.  The current revision is revision D (there
is a revision E, but many problems have been reported with it).

The revision D shells are available from Novell's Netwire on
Compuserve.  GO NDD; the file you want is DSWIND.ZIP.

dennis p. harris					bitnet: jsdph@alaska.edu

  "The nation that controls magnetism controls the Universe." --- Diet Smith