[comp.sys.novell] UPS's and Novell

jsuker@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Johnathon Laurence Suker) (01/08/91)

I am currently investigating several different options for backing up our
Novell Network against power failures.  Recently the power went out in our
office and our Novell Network did not like it to say the least. I was
wondering if anyone had any experience with UPS's designed for or marketed
specifically for a Novell Network.  We are running Netware 386 version 3.1
on a IBM Model 80 and need an adequate UPS.  Any advice or references would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Johnathon Suker

--
Johnathon Suker           // This opinion and all others stated within are
JSUKER@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU//  mine, and only mine! None of you can have them!

dbielik@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Danny Bielik) (01/08/91)

In article <2788B9A3.11730@ics.uci.edu> jsuker@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Johnathon Laurence Suker) writes:
>I am currently investigating several different options for backing up our
>Novell Network against power failures.  Recently the power went out in our
>office and our Novell Network did not like it to say the least. I was
>wondering if anyone had any experience with UPS's designed for or marketed
>specifically for a Novell Network.  We are running Netware 386 version 3.1
>on a IBM Model 80 and need an adequate UPS.  Any advice or references would
>be greatly appreciated.

I can't offer any advice on an American UPS, however another good idea
(assuming your budget stretches this far) is to set up a mirror volume.
A mirror is another (preferably physical) hard drive which keeps an exact
copy on a regular basis (within milliseconds) of the working volume/s.  When
one volume goes down, or is corrupted the other automatically cuts in, so there
is no difference to the user.

If this is caused by a power failure, it is unlikely that both volumes would
die, so the mirror should work.  However, a UPS is still a good idea.

* Danny Bielik                                     @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@      *
* dbielik@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au                       @ US TOUR COMMENCES @      *
* Macquarie University - Sydney Australia          @  JANUARY 9, 1991  @      *
* Phone (W) +61-2-212-6699 Fax +61-2-281-7394      @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@      *

wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (william sadler) (01/08/91)

dbielik@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Danny Bielik) writes:

>In article <2788B9A3.11730@ics.uci.edu> jsuker@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Johnathon Laurence Suker) writes:
>>I am currently investigating several different options for backing up our
>>Novell Network against power failures.  Recently the power went out in our
>>office and our Novell Network did not like it to say the least. I was
>>wondering if anyone had any experience with UPS's designed for or marketed
>>specifically for a Novell Network.  We are running Netware 386 version 3.1
>>on a IBM Model 80 and need an adequate UPS.  Any advice or references would
>>be greatly appreciated.

I really find it hard to believe that you have invested thousands of
dollars in a server and Netware 386 and not purchased a UPS.  I use
an AP520 UPS520ES w 520VA from American Power Systems that cost $475.00
plus another $40 for a card that goes into the server to monitor the
system.  A 1200VA is about $1200.  You should really get a UPS.
Especially one capapble of monitroing your server and shutting down
automatically in the even of a power outage.  I think some of the UPS
even have a special adapter for the mouse port on PS2s.

Happy shopping,

Will

*Will Sadler		Indiana University Law School-Bloomington    *
*will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu	wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu       *

jack@cscdec.cs.com (Jack Hudler) (01/10/91)

In article <wsadler.663349610@copper> wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (william sadler) writes:

>I really find it hard to believe that you have invested thousands of
>dollars in a server and Netware 386 and not purchased a UPS.  I use
>an AP520 UPS520ES w 520VA from American Power Systems that cost $475.00

"I really find it hard to believe that you have invested thousands of
dollars in a server and Netware 386 and" purchased a cheap UPS to
protect it all.
--
Jack           Computer Support Corporation             Dallas,Texas
Hudler         Internet: jack@cscdec.cs.com

heflin@cod.NOSC.MIL (Greg R. Heflin) (01/12/91)

In article <2788B9A3.11730@ics.uci.edu> jsuker@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Johnathon Laurence Suker) writes:

>. . .  Recently the power went out in our
>office and our Novell Network did not like it to say the least.

A UPS on the SERVER may keep the server up, but the rest of the NETWORK
(including individual workstations) will go down when the power goes down.

I've had 8 to 10 power outages on the server, 3 with a UPS on the server
and I havn't noticed any difference.  When the power comes back on, the
server comes back up.  Since all the workstations went down, whatever people
were doing at the  time was lost anyway.

The UPS just supplies power untill its betteries run low, then the server
goes down too.

What kind of SPECIFIC problems do poeple have with their
servers/open files/etc when the power goes down??
Is the problem with Netware or a particular application?

-gregory
NAVELEX,SD
--

-gregory  Just my two cents which shouldn't make a flame,
	  unless you rub them real hard.

jsdph@acad3.alaska.edu (HARRIS DENNIS P) (01/12/91)

In article <2788B9A3.11730@ics.uci.edu>, jsuker@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Johnathon Laurence Suker) writes...
>I am currently investigating several different options for backing up our
>Novell Network against power failures.  Recently the power went out in our
>office and our Novell Network did not like it to say the least. I was
>wondering if anyone had any experience with UPS's designed for or marketed
>specifically for a Novell Network.

here's a manufacturer that makes the best UPS going:

	Best Power Technology, Inc.  (800) 356-5794
	PO Box 280
	Necedah, WI 54646

They make units from 500VA to 20KVA.  All you will need for auto
server shutdown is their ups-to-mouse port cable for a PS/2
server (uses the servers's SERVER.CFG file).

disadvantages:  not cheap.  factory has trouble keeping up with
demand.  backorders can run up to a month.  not reviewed in
magazines because they won't furnish free review units.

advantages:  comprehensive manual.  good toll-free tech support.
very conservative power ratings.  microprocessor controlled.  can
be monitored and reconfigured with a special serial cable and any
dumb terminal.  logs power outages.  can display waveform at last
triggering.  diagnostics display.  ferroresonant on-line design
filters and conditions ac power.  trigger parameters can be reset
through serial port.  very high quality.  i could go on and
on...

disclaimer:  i used to sell these units.  counter-disclaimer: i
was happy to sell these units, because they didn't have problems.
 the only time i had trouble with them was when they were
installed in alaskan bush villages with diesel generators that
were so unstable that the ups wasn't on the ac line long enough
for batteries to charge.  i've used them to protect netware
servers and microvaxen in remote areas of alaska with few
problems.

list prices for the 500VA units start around $800, but many
dealers discount the factory list prices.

dennis p. harris					bitnet: jsdph@alaska.edu

  "The nation that controls magnetism controls the Universe." --- Diet Smith

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (01/15/91)

I just want to commment on the Best UPS real quick:

we bought one for our UNIX workstation but not for our Novell server because
their shutdown software was a TSR that was on a workstation, not a VAP or
NLM that ran on the server.  If you intend to do an unattended shutdown
and want a server-based solution, the Best UPS is not the route to go (unless
you intend to write your own VAP or NLM :-).  You can write one, the Best
UPSs do come with great documentation to explain what codes the UPS sends
out.

Bob
--
   Bob Kusumoto                               |    Find the electric messiah!
Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu       |          The AC/DC God!

jsdph@acad3.alaska.edu (HARRIS DENNIS P) (01/16/91)

In article <kusumoto.663874887@chsun1>, kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu
(Bob Kusumoto) writes...
>I just want to commment on the Best UPS real quick:
>
>we bought one for our UNIX workstation but not for our Novell server because
>their shutdown software was a TSR that was on a workstation, not a VAP or
>NLM that ran on the server.

but the Best UPSs *don't* need a vap or nlm to shut down the
server.. tha capability is already built into netware!  all you
need is a cable from Best for the Model 80 mouse port, and a
couple of lines added to the SERVER.CFG file.

dennis p. harris					bitnet: jsdph@alaska.edu

  "The nation that controls magnetism controls the Universe." --- Diet Smith

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (01/17/91)

wait a sec, you're telling me if I get a cable to go from my Best UPS and
hook it up to the server (in this case, its a AST Premium 386/25 that has
a PS/2 mouse port in addition to the 2 serial ports, running NW 386 v3.1)
the server is going to be able to do an unattended shutdown, without software
from BEST?  How?  explain this to me.

Bob
--

jsdph@acad3.alaska.edu (HARRIS DENNIS P) (01/21/91)

In article <kusumoto.664061763@chsun1>, kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) writes...
>wait a sec, you're telling me if I get a cable to go from my Best UPS and
>hook it up to the server (in this case, its a AST Premium 386/25 that has
>a PS/2 mouse port in addition to the 2 serial ports, running NW 386 v3.1)
>the server is going to be able to do an unattended shutdown, without software
>from BEST?  How?  explain this to me.

yes, bob, it's true *if* your mouse port is an eaxact clone of
the ps/2 port (same address, irq, etc).  i don't have a set of
red books handy, but you need to put some lines in the CONFIG.CTL
file in SYS:SYSTE.  at least that's where it is in 2.15.  NW 386
might handle it differently.

if you don't have the ps/2 mouse  port, you need an old novell
key card, a novell disk coprocessor  board, or a novell or
american power conversion ups card (just like the novell key
card without the key rom chip).  these cards require a special
cable, and a wiring diagram is included in the manual.

you might want to call Best and talk to them.  ask for tech
support.

jack@cscdec.cs.com (Jack Hudler) (01/22/91)

In article <kusumoto.664061763@chsun1> kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) writes:
>wait a sec, you're telling me if I get a cable to go from my Best UPS and
>hook it up to the server (in this case, its a AST Premium 386/25 that has
>a PS/2 mouse port in addition to the 2 serial ports, running NW 386 v3.1)
>the server is going to be able to do an unattended shutdown, without software
>from BEST?  How?  explain this to me.

There's this little board you buy, its called, "The stand-alone UPS monitor
board". You create a file called SERVER.CFG in SYS$SYSTEM. It looks like
this;
UPS TYPE=1
UPS IO=231h
UPS DOWN=5
UPS WAIT=120

You DOWN to server, set the proper jumps, install the card, plug in the UPS
monitor cable to the card, and then bring it back up... you get a little
message: UPS Enabled.

When power fails, it issues a message on the console saying something
about "UPS power online" and that the server will go down in 5 minutes
unless the batteries are low, then is comes down in 1 minute. If power
is restored you get a message saying "Commercial (sp?) power restored".