[comp.sys.novell] Novell/Unix compatibility

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (01/12/91)

I have a few questions regarding Netware in an DOS/Unix development
environment.  Currently our company has numerous MS-DOS systems
connected to Novell file servers, and has just bought some 386 systems
running SCO system V Unix.  I want to put the whole set of source code
under a single source code control system which can be accessed by both
DOS and Unix users.

1.  When is Novell going to have its TCP/IP gateway software ready?
    Will it be able to handle NFS filesystem mounting, electronic
    mail, printer queue service, and all the other doo-dads I'm used
    to with TCP/IP?

2.  Is there a source code control system which runs under both DOS
    and Unix and which knows about both Unix and DOS/Novell file locking?
    (I'm looking at RCS from Free Software Foundation.  Is anyone out
    there using it on a Netware system?)

3.  Does Netware run under the VP/ix DOS emulator package from SCO?
    With what LAN cards?

4.  Is there a Netware implementation on any other host besides DOS,
    specifically any flavor of Unix?

As you can guess, Netware is new to me.  I'd never heard of it until
recently, and I've gotten the impression that Novell has really taken over
the PC LAN market only within the last few years.

-rich

wittmann@erb1.engr.wisc.edu (art wittmann) (01/14/91)

In article <5937@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

Here are some purely non-authoritative answers to your questions:

>1.  When is Novell going to have its TCP/IP gateway software ready?
>    Will it be able to handle NFS filesystem mounting, electronic
>    mail, printer queue service, and all the other doo-dads I'm used
>    to with TCP/IP?

TCP/IP stuff will probably be ready around the end first quarter from everything
that heard.  This is not the NFS implementation, my guess is that NFS will lag
into the summer.  The intitial offering probably won't have mail since a separate
group in novell does mail development.

>2.  Is there a source code control system which runs under both DOS
>    and Unix and which knows about both Unix and DOS/Novell file locking?
>    (I'm looking at RCS from Free Software Foundation.  Is anyone out
>    there using it on a Netware system?)

Don't know of one.

>3.  Does Netware run under the VP/ix DOS emulator package from SCO?
>    With what LAN cards?

Yuck.  Sounds like a REALLY bad idea, and I don't think you'd stand any chance
of getting it to work.  Neither netware 386 nor netware 286 will run in real
mode, they would also want to deal directly with the hardware, including
formatting the drives as netware drives, not Unix.  If you were talking about
the client side of netware, I don't think that will work either.  You'd
need some sort of device driver for IPX to use, none exists that I know of.

>4.  Is there a Netware implementation on any other host besides DOS,
>    specifically any flavor of Unix?

There are a number of ports of portable netware.  NCR, Prime and HP come to
mind.  I believe I've heard mention of one for SCO, but don't recall to
actual vendor.

>As you can guess, Netware is new to me.  I'd never heard of it until
>recently, and I've gotten the impression that Novell has really taken over
>the PC LAN market only within the last few years.
>
>-rich

Your probably sitting about the same position as a bunch of us out here.
We're waiting to see exactly what novell is going to come out with for Unix
and TCP/IP.  I've been in a few "executive briefings", and that sort of thing
with Novell.  I think I can safely say that they SEEM dedicated to bringing
services to the Unix workstation environment.  All of this will come only
on netware 386.  If you're running netware 286, you won't get much in the
way of Unix functionality from Novell.  Netware 386 is their "platform of the
'90s".  If your thinking of porting unix apps to netware, I think you'll find
it a much different environment to which to program.

Art

Art Wittmann                                  Phone: (608) 263-1748
Network Manager                               Email: wittmann@engr.wisc.edu
Computer Aided Engineering Center                or: wittmann@cae.wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin, Madison

few@gupta.portal.com (Frank Whaley) (01/14/91)

In article <5937@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>I have a few questions regarding Netware in an DOS/Unix development
>environment.
>2.  Is there a source code control system which runs under both DOS
>    and Unix and which knows about both Unix and DOS/Novell file locking?
>    (I'm looking at RCS from Free Software Foundation.  Is anyone out
>    there using it on a Netware system?)

I'm in the process of porting RCS 5.5 to MS-DOS and OS/2, and will be
including some form of NetWare-386 support.  I guess I'll be brave and
ask for suggestions or requests, and if anyone wants to test the
software when complete.  I have ported version 4.3 to MS-DOS, but
from the looks of 5.5 source I think people will want to wait for
the new version.  If nothing goes wrong, I should be finished by
the end of January.
--
Frank Whaley
Software Engineer

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (01/15/91)

In article <5937@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>1.  When is Novell going to have its TCP/IP gateway software ready?
>    Will it be able to handle NFS filesystem mounting, electronic
>    mail, printer queue service, and all the other doo-dads I'm used
>    to with TCP/IP?

Your guess is as good as anyone's.  In the mean time I understand there
are people on this net who are running a "packet driver" with Novell to
gain access to UNIX systems.

>2.  Is there a source code control system which runs under both DOS
>    and Unix and which knows about both Unix and DOS/Novell file locking?
>    (I'm looking at RCS from Free Software Foundation.  Is anyone out
>    there using it on a Netware system?)

You might also want to checkout PVCS from Polytron Corp.
(800) 547-4000, (503) 645-1150.  They have a version set for release in
April for SCO XENIX.

>3.  Does Netware run under the VP/ix DOS emulator package from SCO?
>    With what LAN cards?

I doubt it.

>4.  Is there a Netware implementation on any other host besides DOS,
>    specifically any flavor of Unix?

Portable Netware is a version that runs under UNIX.  NCR, PRIME and
a few others have or are ready to release.

Hope this helps.  Good Luck!
Ken
Network Support Services:

Ken Haynes, Certified Netware Engineer

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (01/16/91)

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

>I have a few questions regarding Netware in an DOS/Unix development
>environment.  Currently our company has numerous MS-DOS systems
>connected to Novell file servers, and has just bought some 386 systems
>running SCO system V Unix.  I want to put the whole set of source code
>under a single source code control system which can be accessed by both
>DOS and Unix users.

>1.  When is Novell going to have its TCP/IP gateway software ready?
>    Will it be able to handle NFS filesystem mounting, electronic
>    mail, printer queue service, and all the other doo-dads I'm used
>    to with TCP/IP?

Like everyone else out here, I keep hearing that the IP product will be
here Q1, but I'll believe it when I see it. Rumour has it (from Novell)
that the first NFS product will be one sided - UNIX (tm) machines will be
able to NFS mount NetWare, but not vice versa. Printing is still uncertain,
since NFS itself only relates to file sharing. Any offers for lpd?

>3.  Does Netware run under the VP/ix DOS emulator package from SCO?
>    With what LAN cards?

Server and client are both extremely hardware-bound - you are unlikely to
have success in this area.

>4.  Is there a Netware implementation on any other host besides DOS,
>    specifically any flavor of Unix?

DG for the Aviion, Altos for the 5000/4000, HP for I can't remember what, and
also for SCO Unix and NCR for the Tower are the best bets at the moment.
SCO are promising an in-house version, but won't give a date.

>As you can guess, Netware is new to me.  I'd never heard of it until
>recently, and I've gotten the impression that Novell has really taken over
>the PC LAN market only within the last few years.

At the risk of sounding sarcastic, the PC LAN market is only a few years old,
so the recent rise of PC networking companies is not that suprising. Networks
of one form or another have been around for ages, but the boom only realy
started in '84/'85 in this sector of the industry. Being new to the product
is something we all go through at some point - keep posting!

Martin

--
DISCLAIMER: All My Own Work (Unless stated otherwise)
Martin O'Nions            Logitek Group Support      martino@logitek.co.uk

aronb@gkcl.ists.ca (Aron Burns) (01/18/91)

In article <295@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> wittmann@erb1.UUCP (art wittmann) writes:
>In article <5937@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>
>Here are some purely non-authoritative answers to your questions:

[...]
>>2.  Is there a source code control system which runs under both DOS
>>    and Unix and which knows about both Unix and DOS/Novell file locking?
>>    (I'm looking at RCS from Free Software Foundation.  Is anyone out
>>    there using it on a Netware system?)
>
>Don't know of one.

RCS under MS-DOS is available from Mortice Kern Systems in Waterloo,
Ontario, Canada.  It's being used sucessfully in a Novell site where
some of my friends work.  They also sell a utility package
that makes DOS look a _lot_ like UNIX.

Aaron Burns      	     "Nothing I say on the net is binding
aronb@gkcl.ists.ca         to our corporation"
Toronto, Ontario         "Life is a forge, and the purest metal
(416)392-4310             comes from the hottest fire"

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (01/19/91)

aronb@gkcl.UUCP (Aron Burns) writes:
>RCS under MS-DOS is available from Mortice Kern Systems in Waterloo,
>Ontario, Canada.  It's being used sucessfully in a Novell site where
>some of my friends work.  They also sell a utility package
>that makes DOS look a _lot_ like UNIX.

RCS is also available for DOS free of charge via anonymous FTP from
Berkeley and other distribution sites.  It is available for DOS from
the Free Software Foundation.

The version-4 product sold by MKS is in fact a port of the same RCS
distributed by Free Software Foundation, initiated before the copyleft
on version 5.

I'd suggest that $995 is a bit much to pay for a 5-user license when
improved software can be gotten free of charge.

For a directory of Gnu software ported to DOS, ftp to vulcan.phyast.pitt.edu
or ocf.berkeley.edu.  I'm busily porting various packages to SCO Unix,
with varying degrees of success.

-rich

dixon@pdn.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan14.155323.7167@momenta> gregpf@momenta (Greg Presedo-Floyd) writes:
>rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>>2.  Is there a source code control system which runs under both DOS
>>    and Unix and which knows about both Unix and DOS/Novell file locking?
>
>PVCS by Polytron, 1700 N.W. 167th Place, Beaverton, OR 97006
>503-645-1150: MS-DOS, OS/2, Novell, VMS-with-Mac, SunOS, IBM AIX through
>early 1989.  They have possibly gotten to SCO UNIX. Call 'em

I had heard that Polytron dropped Unix support from various people.
Has anyone dealt with Polytron recently who can confirm/dispell this
rumor?

--
Thomas M. Dixon Jr.				dixon@pdn.paradyne.com
Software Engineer				uunet!pdn!dixon