[comp.sys.novell] System halted: diagnostic dump

cctb@quagga.ru.ac.za (Tim Bouwer) (01/21/91)

Hi

This has happened a few times under different circumstances and I was
directed to chase a hardware problem (either disk or memory).  The latest
instance has made me doubt that it is in fact hardware.  One reason being
that I reinstalled our Netware 386 onto a new machine (and sent the other
in for testing/repairs).

Today Netware hung again...

This time a user had had an program hang on him last night.  He
came in today and could not log in because he already had a connection
to the server.  Ok, so it had not removed his connection after he rebooted
for some reason... so I set out to delete it using FCONSOLE.  As soon as I
selected YES to delete the connection, the file server hung, displaying the
following:
System Halted Monday Jan 21 1991 9.23.38

Abend: Bad Resource tag Address detected in AES process routines.
OS version: Novell Netware 386 V3.10 Rev A 6/13/90
Running process: Server 02 process
Stack (hex stack dump followed)

Press Y to copy diagnostic image to diskette
Otherwise Power off and back on to restart.

Why is this error fatal?
Has anyone else had this sort of problem?
Any suggestions?

Tim
--
Tim Bouwer                  Internet:   Tim.Bouwer@f4.n494.z5.fidonet.org
Rhodes University           Uucp    :   ...!m2xenix!quagga!cctb

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan21.101747.25305@quagga.ru.ac.za> cctb@quagga.ru.ac.za (Tim Bouwer) writes:
>System Halted Monday Jan 21 1991 9.23.38
>
>Abend: Bad Resource tag Address detected in AES process routines.
>OS version: Novell Netware 386 V3.10 Rev A 6/13/90
>Running process: Server 02 process
>Stack (hex stack dump followed)
>
>Press Y to copy diagnostic image to diskette
>Otherwise Power off and back on to restart.

Abends are real nasty, as if you didn't know.... What is your exact harware
configuration?  Most of these are hardware related.  Is your power conditioned?
Have you checked your power lately?  Are you on an UPS?  Some of these
abends are due to spikey power problems.

Ken

Network Support Services:

Ken Haynes, Certified Netware Engineer