[comp.sys.novell] tape drive recommendations

lichty@saguaro.anthro.utah.edu (Alan Lichty) (01/24/91)

I am in the process of setting up a network for a work group on our
campus and need to buy a cartridge tape subsystem for backing up the
fileserver.  I am interested in recommendations/tales of woe for the
various offerings currently on the market.  Budget constraints
precluse DAT/Exabyte as a choice - we have about $700 - $800 to spend
total.  Please email directly to me (lichty@anthro.utah.edu) and I
will summarize to the net if there is sufficient interest.

Thanks in advance.

Alan Lichty

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (01/24/91)

I have used a Maynard MaynStream 60 (external) tape drive with 2 Novell LANs
and it has worked great for me.  The tape drive is under $1000 (last year's
price).  The drive is also very fast and reliable.  For over 3 years now, the
drive has only failed once because somebody dropped the entire unit down a
flight of stairs.  Otherwise, the thing is great.  Maynard also supplies tapes
which are already formatted and at a very competitive price.

If you had a higher price range ... the Tecmar DATaVault is a very nice and
even faster tape drive.  I have it running at one of my clients with 3 servers
and over 1 GigaByte of storage to backup every night.  Works flawless for
almost a year now.

I hope this bit of information helps you.

     __________           Carnegie Mellon University             ___
    /          \                                            /   /    /_/ / /\/
   _/  /   /   / "Happy Computing ..."                   __/.  /__  / / / / /
  /     /     /     -- Computer Dr.
 /           /                          Internet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
/  -------  /   4730 Centre Ave. #412   BITnet:   jc58@andrew
\__________/    Pittsburgh, PA  15213   UUCP:    ...!uunet!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (01/26/91)

In article <LICHTY.91Jan23112545@saguaro.anthro.utah.edu> lichty@saguaro.anthro.utah.edu (Alan Lichty) writes:
>I am in the process of setting up a network for a work group on our
>campus and need to buy a cartridge tape subsystem for backing up the
>fileserver.  I am interested in recommendations/tales of woe for the
>various offerings currently on the market.  Budget constraints
>precluse DAT/Exabyte as a choice - we have about $700 - $800 to spend
>total.  Please email directly to me (lichty@anthro.utah.edu) and I
>will summarize to the net if there is sufficient interest.

The decision regarding what kind of tape drive to get should be driven off
of several factors, not the least of which of course is budget.  How large
of a hard disk does the server have?  How user/operator intensive can the
software be?  How much time does the operator have during backups?  The
capacity, speed and user friendliness can be determined asking these questions.
Depending on how much $$ is going to be spent having an operator work a slow
user unfriendly piece of software/hardware over the course of time, could
assist in helping the powers to be increase the budget.  $700-$800 is not
a lot of money to spend on a tape backup system.

Ken

Network Support Services:

Ken Haynes, Certified Netware Engineer