[comp.sys.novell] Mounting disks

tek@ms.uky.edu (Thomas E. Kunselman) (01/25/91)

I need a networking program that will allow a user too mount another
user's disk as well as his/her own local disks.  Will Novell let me do
this?  Also, will it allow printing to a printer that is attached to
a pc that is being used by a secretary?

Thanks,

Thom
--
Thomas Kunselman                              {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!tek
Planning and Institutional Research       	bitnet: irkunsel@ecuvm1.bitnet

nengle@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (nathan engle) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan24.192606.22488@ms.uky.edu> tek@ms.uky.edu (Thomas E. Kunselman) writes:
>I need a networking program that will allow a user too mount another
>user's disk as well as his/her own local disks.  Will Novell let me do
>this?  Also, will it allow printing to a printer that is attached to
>a pc that is being used by a secretary?

  Our department will hopefully be doing both of those things in about 2
weeks. Novell doesn't allow it directly but there are products that you
add that let the file server do that sort of thing. We're going with
Map Assist and Printer Assist from Fresh Technology (602)497-4211. Cost
for Map is about $350 for unlimited users, one copy per server.

Nathan Engle             Software Evangelist
Indiana University       Dept of Psychology
nengle@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan24.192606.22488@ms.uky.edu> tek@ms.uky.edu (Thomas E. Kunselman) writes:
>I need a networking program that will allow a user too mount another
>user's disk as well as his/her own local disks.  Will Novell let me do
>this?  Also, will it allow printing to a printer that is attached to
>a pc that is being used by a secretary?

What you are asking for is peer to peer capability.  Something the plain
vanilla Novell LAN does not do, since it is a client server architecture.
LAN systems and Fresh Technology provide utilities that will allow for peer
to peer access of disks and printers in a Novell environment.  They operate
as TSRs so memory is used at the workstations, but they work.  Some of these
TSR peer to peer programs are not compatible with windows 3.0, so if your
environment calls for windows you may need to look around a bit.

Ken

Network Support Services:

Ken Haynes, Certified Netware Engineer