[comp.sys.novell] Problems with Novell 286B boot-up

will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (William Sadler) (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan27.235822.13812@cs.columbia.edu> benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) writes:
>I am having a pretty severe problem with my Novell 286B server.  I am
>running SFT netware 2.15C.  After installation, it seems to work just fine.
>
>Novell File Sever Cold Boot Loader
>(c) Copyright 1988 Novell, Inc.  All Rights Reserved
>
>**Garbage**  (many lines)
>
>benderly@cs.columbia.edu

It looks like your cold boot loader isn't working.  I'm not sure why
having the machine off for a few days would cause this to happen. Did
you have any problems installing the disk drivers for your controller?

Rather than compsurfing, run vrepair from util-2.exe.  Have it look
for bad blocks.  If you have SCSI drives compsurf isn't really needed
since the low level format is done by the ROM on the drive.

Do you have this problem if you boot the server, down it properly, then
boot it again?  If not, I would say just leave the thing on for awhile
to see if it fails while running.  Look at you hot fix tables to see if
they are growing exponentially.  You can also get ssome disk testing
utilities that load a bunch of files onto the disk then read them off
again.  I use something from PC Magazine called pcmaglan.exe

Good luck

Will

*   _______________\|/_      Will Sadler     will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu   *
*   Laser 44888    /|\                       sadler@iubacs.bitnet         *