[comp.sys.novell] novell and print spooling; VAP Print Server Questions

jsdph@acad3.alaska.edu (HARRIS DENNIS P) (01/31/91)

In article <23404@neptune.inf.ethz.ch>, aprzygie@iiic.ethz.ch (Antoni Bronislaw Przygienda) writes...
>In article <16006@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> wade@hobbes.ucsd.edu (Wade Blomgren) writes:
>>
>>What are the print spooling capabilities of the various levels of
>>Novell Netware?
>>
>>In particular I am interested in knowing what can be done in terms
>>of using workstations to drive printers and having those printers
>>available to other workstations on the network, without seriously
>>affecting the interactive use of the workstations.  Can this be
>>done with the lower levels of netware, specifically ELS II?

As far as I know, it requires a VAP, and VAPS won't work with ELS
unless there have been some changes since i last encountered an
ELS network.

>[reply text deleted]
>Now some questions concerning the VAP Print Server:
>
> 1) I installed the stuff in the file server. Now it asks every
>    time going up, whether I want to load the VAP or not &
>    afterwards for the print server name.

Read your red books!  You need to put a line that says

VAP WAIT 30

in your SERVER.CFG file in SYS:SYSTEM.  i think it's covered in
one of the appendices of the install manual --- check the index
to manuals.

> 2) What's the problem with the local TSR stuff.

sorry, i can't help you here.  i've only used the lanspool vap,
which worked just fine.  it was installed before novell shipped
pserver, which i've heard a lot of folks in our user group
grumble about.

dennis p. harris					bitnet: jsdph@alaska.edu

  "The nation that controls magnetism controls the Universe." --- Diet Smith

gase@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Stephen T. Gase) (01/31/91)

#  1) I installed the stuff in the file server. Now it asks every
#     time going up, whether I want to load the VAP or not &
#     afterwards for the print server name. I hate this, because
#     normally the server is supposed to go up silently without
#     any computer freaks answering funny questions about
#     things like VAP's loaders (at least most of my customers
#     don't like the idea to punch in some mysterious stuff to bring
#     the server up). Is there a possibility to boot the VAP's and
#     give the print server name from a file or something like that,
#     so the server & print server goes up without any questions ??

Create a file in the SYS:SYSTEM directory called "SERVER.CFG"
with the contents "VAP WAIT 10".

#  2) What's the problem with the local TSR stuff. After booting the

Sounds like you do not have your setup done right.  Try going
into PCONSOLE and configuring your printer slot to be a
"Remote/LPT1" or whatever port you want to be using.  It
should not be necessary to go into PSC to get anything started.

Steve Gase

merce@iguana.uucp (Jim Mercer) (02/02/91)

In article <14360002@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> gase@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Stephen T. Gase) writes:
>#  1) I installed the stuff in the file server. Now it asks every
>#     time going up, whether I want to load the VAP or not &
>#     afterwards for the print server name. I hate this, because
>#     normally the server is supposed to go up silently without
>#     any computer freaks answering funny questions about
>#     things like VAP's loaders (at least most of my customers
>#     don't like the idea to punch in some mysterious stuff to bring
>#     the server up). Is there a possibility to boot the VAP's and
>#     give the print server name from a file or something like that,
>#     so the server & print server goes up without any questions ??
>
>Create a file in the SYS:SYSTEM directory called "SERVER.CFG"
>with the contents "VAP WAIT 10".

this is all well and good, but what about the vaps that ask for names
like PSERVER?

what will the PSERVER's name be ?

if it defaults to the same one, what do you do if you run the PSERVER VAP
on multiple servers?

--
[ Jim Mercer   work: jim@lsuc.on.ca  home: merce@iguana.uucp  +1 519 570-3467 ]
[                "Clickity-Click, Barba-Trick" - The Barbapapas               ]