[comp.sys.novell] Token Ring vs. Ethernet vs. Novell

cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (R Eric Bennett) (01/28/91)

While I have been jumping around our Unix networks for years, I have been doing
this from a users perspective. Now I am faced with the prospect of recommending
a LAN for one of my clients.  The problem is that I don't know the strengths of
the various networks out there.  I also don't know the big companies out there
who make products for IBM.  I know that NoVell is BIG, but are they proprietary
and do they make Token RIng and Ethernet systems.  The NoVell networks I've
seen seem  to be centered around a single fileserver, whereas the token ring
networks I've used allows access to what seems to be every node in the ring.
Right or wrong?  Where does ethernet fit in?

If anyone could fill in those blanks I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Eric Bennett

    / cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (unix box ) | "Put a stamp on it!"    \
    \ cerberus@itl.itd.umich.edu    (NeXT cube) |           -Fab 5 Freddy /

boerner@ut-emx.uucp (Brendan B. Boerner) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan27.195418.2062@engin.umich.edu> cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (R Eric Bennett) writes:
>who make products for IBM.  I know that NoVell is BIG, but are they proprietary
>and do they make Token RIng and Ethernet systems.  The NoVell networks I've
>seen seem  to be centered around a single fileserver, whereas the token ring
>networks I've used allows access to what seems to be every node in the ring.
>Right or wrong?  Where does ethernet fit in?

Novell's flagship product is NetWare, which is software which runs
on 80[234]86's to make them high performance file servers.  (NetWare
can also be ported to UNIX systems (Portable NetWare) and there is
a version for VMS systems.  It's beyond the scope - let me know if
you need more information).  Anyway, NetWare is LAN hardware
independent - it can run over Arcnet, Token-Ring, Ethernet, what
have you.

For purposes of communicating between two nodes, from a logical
point of view, there is no difference between Ethernet and Token
Ring.  From a more detailed pov, there are differences, some of
which are cost(s) and political factors.  I've seen sites which do
nothing but TR, some others Ethernet is the way to go.  Personally
I favor Ethernet.  In any case, NetWare will work as long as you
have a driver for your particular board.

Hope this helps a bit,
Brendan

cd5340@mars.njit.edu (Charlap) (01/29/91)

Although Novell does require a file server, I was under the impression that
any physical layout would work (star, ring, but, whatever).  Then again,
I could be wrong.  I've only seen EtherNet people use it.

--- Dave (cd5340@mars.njit.edu)

clay@uci.com (Clayton Haapala) (02/01/91)

In article <2154@njitgw.njit.edu> cd5340@mars.njit.edu (Charlap) writes:
>Although Novell does require a file server, I was under the impression that
>any physical layout would work (star, ring, but, whatever).

We have a Novell 2.15 (286) server terminating three networks:  Token Ring,
Ethernet, and Starlan.  One of our customers is doing both ARCNet and Token
Ring.  If paper cup manufacturers came up with IPX drivers, you could use
those with strings, I image. :-)
--
Clayton Haapala                (clay@uci.com)
Unified Communications Inc.    "Every morning I get in the Queue.

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Jan31.201038.12600@uci.com> clay@uci.com (Clayton Haapala) writes:
>We have a Novell 2.15 (286) server terminating three networks:  Token Ring,
>Ethernet, and Starlan.  One of our customers is doing both ARCNet and Token
>Ring.  If paper cup manufacturers came up with IPX drivers, you could use
>those with strings, I image. :-)

Ahh...just curious. What's the difference between "ethernet" and "starlan"?

ethernet: [IEEE 802.3] 1base2, 10base2, 10base5, 10baseT

starlan: [IEEE 802.3] 1base2 (1 mb), 10baseT (10 mb)

Seems to me that starlan IS ethernet!

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden