[comp.sys.novell] Utility for listing files by owner.

vdra_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Valerie Drake) (01/31/91)

I am currently writing a program which, given a Novell User name and a
Novell server file path will recursively search a path for files owned
by that user, listing them to STDOUT, with name, size, date created,
last access, last archive and file attributes.

Is anyone interested in such a utility?  Are there any features I should
optionally include?  Any other important info I should list?

I am writing it for myself, so that when one of my users comes up to me
and says "How come the server says I have no more space?  I only have
XX meg of files out there!" I can provide them with a listing to prove
that they really have XX+X Meg of files.

The listing also helps for cleanup of my own files.

Lee Drake
Azatar MicroSystems
--
+--,,,,----U----,,,,--+ |/\+--+  +--+/\| | | University of Rochester

johnv@coplex.uucp (John Vaccaro) (02/03/91)

In article <11979@ur-cc.UUCP> vdra_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Valerie Drake) writes:
>I am currently writing a program which, given a Novell User name and a
>Novell server file path will recursively search a path for files owned
>by that user, listing them to STDOUT, with name, size, date created,
>last access, last archive and file attributes.
[...]
Netware's utility NDIR will do what you are asking.
  Use the following syntax:

ndir f:\ owner=johnv sub

Will recurse down the directory tree of F: reporting and totalling all files
owned by johnv.  My only complaint is that its not the fastest in the world;-)
regards
johnv

--
|"...Some see things as they are and ask WHY? | John Vaccaro                 |