[comp.sys.novell] Update 286 to 386

cordero@pike.cis.ohio-state.edu (l m cordero) (02/12/91)

The department I work for is considering upgrading the file server from a
286-16 to a 386-33.  We are running Advanced Netware 2.15 and have the
following questions:
1.  Will the update be a simple - take hard drives out of 286, plug into
    386 and go.  Or will we have to run netgen all over again.
2.  How much RAM should we put on the file server 2,4,8,16?  Will the file
    server use all the RAM or is there a cap to how much it can use
    effectively?  (Our LAN is 15 pcs (ARCNET style) about to go to 20 pcs).
3.  Each workstation should be what config?  We were thinking 286-12 with
    640K should it be 286-16 with 1MB.  99% we run MS Word 5.0.
4.  How good/bad are the vendors we've priced: All Computer Center (CA),
    American Multisystems (CA), CompUSA (TX), Symbionics (TX), JCC Systems
    (CA), and Main Street Computer (FL)?
5.  Which companies have you purchased from, and which brand names are
    reliable (our research DTK 386 refuses to communicate with our
    HP Laser Series II in direct connection).
Thanks!   -Martin

--
cordero@cis.ohio-state.edu

will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (William Sadler) (02/12/91)

In article <88260@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> l m cordero <cordero@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>The department I work for is considering upgrading the file server from a
>286-16 to a 386-33.  We are running Advanced Netware 2.15 and have the
>following questions:
I posted this exact same question about a month ago and nobody answered.
So here is what I discovered on my own.

>1.  Will the update be a simple - take hard drives out of 286, plug into
>    386 and go.  Or will we have to run netgen all over again.

You only have to run netgen if your ethernet card, disk controller, or
anything else changed.  If it is all the same then you can plug and
go.

>2.  How much RAM should we put on the file server 2,4,8,16?  Will the file
>    server use all the RAM or is there a cap to how much it can use
>    effectively?  (Our LAN is 15 pcs (ARCNET style) about to go to 20 pcs).

4 megs is probably sufficient.  I recomend 8 just since it is so cheap.
Especially is you have a problem with FSPs or you are running VAPs.  Someone
had a spread sheet awhile back that outlined exactly what you needed. Anyone
still have that?

>3.  Each workstation should be what config?  We were thinking 286-12 with
>    640K should it be 286-16 with 1MB.  99% we run MS Word 5.0.

If you are going to buy workstations why not buy 386s?  For the price
you get much more computer.

>4.  How good/bad are the vendors we've priced: All Computer Center (CA),
>    American Multisystems (CA), CompUSA (TX), Symbionics (TX), JCC Systems
>    (CA), and Main Street Computer (FL)?

Sorry, I don't have any info on these guys.  I personally would not buy
a clone for a file server that did not have some sort of major service
warranty attached to it.  I purchased a clone for my new file server, but
only because I have used the machines before, it has a 7 year warranty, I
know AND trust the guy who sold it to me, and I know that he will come out
and fix any problem I might have _immediately_.  Otherwise I would buy from
a major company.

>5.  Which companies have you purchased from, and which brand names are
>    reliable (our research DTK 386 refuses to communicate with our
>    HP Laser Series II in direct connection).

That sounds like poor quality hardware to me.  I bought a machine from
Iverson just recently and had problems with a SIMM.  They were very helpful
over the phone, but sent me a DRAM to replace the SIMM.  Then I sent the
DRAM back and they never sent me a new SIMM.  All of this transpired over
long-distance and involved much phone tag.  I won't go with a dealer that
is out of town for awhile.  I just don't think there is any substitution
for personal service within reason.
>--
>cordero@cis.ohio-state.edu
Going to the game Sunday?  It should be interesting....

Will

(will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu)

*   _______________\|/_      Will Sadler     will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu   *
*   Laser 44888    /|\                       sadler@iubacs.bitnet         *