[comp.sys.novell] Sun's PC-NFS and Novell

mjs@behemoth.genetics.wisc.edu (Mike Schmelzer) (02/09/91)

We have a Sparcstation that we'd like to use as a fileserver for about 9 PC's.
We also have one copy of Sun's PC-NFS, and are quite satisfied with it.
We also have a 3Com 3C503 ethernet card for the PC running PC-NFS.

We are considering getting PC-NFS client software for the other 8 PC's, but
it's still pretty expensive, even considering a steep discount from Sun.

So here are the questions:
Is it feasible to network the remainder of the PC's using Novell's NetWare?
Can NW publish a volume on the PC that's a mounted NFS volume?
About how much $$$ per station would it cost to install Novell on the other 8
machines? (Software only; assume each machine has an ethernet card.)
Does NetWare require a dedicated server? (Could the Sparcstation possibly be
that server?!? I read something here about NW over TCP/IP...)

And finally:
Is there any simpler approach that I've neglected to mention?

Thanks!
--
==== Mike Schmelzer, UW Genetix, mjs@genetics.wisc.edu, (608)263-7459. ===
================= A member of the happy childhood club. ==================

anachem@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (|mehcana| (undersampled)) (02/13/91)

In article <MJS.91Feb8121028@behemoth.genetics.wisc.edu> mjs@behemoth.genetics.wisc.edu (Mike Schmelzer) writes:
>We have a Sparcstation that we'd like to use as a fileserver for about 9 PC's.
>We also have one copy of Sun's PC-NFS, and are quite satisfied with it.
>We also have a 3Com 3C503 ethernet card for the PC running PC-NFS.
>
>We are considering getting PC-NFS client software for the other 8 PC's, but
>it's still pretty expensive, even considering a steep discount from Sun.

	Our department has a variety of users. Because of politics
	the Geophysics interest group ended up with control over the
	future of the network and how to spend money from the  Dean
	to support our LAN. Perfectly understandably, they chose a
	Sun based LAN which meets all their needs.

	Unfortunately all the rest of us have to live with the conse-
	quences.

	I do not routinely use the PC-NFS. I do backup certain files
	on the Sun, but do not AT ALL use the network software installed
	there. For example, WP5.1 is our standard and resides on the
	Sun. I recently asked a secretary to print out a table she keeps
	of ethernet addresses and IP #'s etc. It took an hour on
	her IBM PC (with constant network activity indicator flashing)
	to build the file for the laser printer. The solution: upgrade
	her PC (not my solution). [the file was a three page table]

	A standard *supported* database here on campus is Paradox. I
	upgraded my old dBase to Paradox 3.5. It won't run in PC-NFS
	environments! solution: get a bigger hard-disk locally (not
	ideal).

	My ultimate solution is Novell once I can convince the stacked
	committee that they have to serve others as well. It is my under-
	standing that local campus experience shows Novell to be as
	fast as a 28ms drive to all appearances. WP5.1 runs that fast
	in one net with 60 users (i'm told). Paradox supports Novell.

	I don't mean to be mean, but in my experience PC-NFS sucks. But,
	the Suns are great. Correct me if I'm wrong, but PC-NFS seems to
	be something you buy after you are already committed to Sun and
	need to provide some modicum of support to PC users.

	I use TCP/IP constantly, so it is with glee that I see the
	announcement of NetWare 3.11 (but sad to see the price) in
	Network World.