[comp.sys.novell] IPX upgrade for Windows3.0

dan@versatc.versatec.COM (Dan Ching) (02/07/91)

I've installed Windows3.0 on my Novell file server (Compaq Deskpro386)
and I want to run Windows3.0 in 386 Enhanced mode.  During the Windows
installation I was notified that my network shell was invalid and that
I need to upgrade the network shell.  I've been able to bring Windows
up in REAL mode but not in 386 Enhanced mode.

Can I run Windows in 386 Enhanced mode if I have Advanced NetWare 286
ND V2.15 on the non-dedicated file server connected to a 386 clone
running MS-DOS v4.01?  I am current using Advanced NetWare v2.15 rev A
- Workstation Shell for DOS v4.X as my network shell.

What version of the network shell do I need ?

and where can I get them ?

jsdph@acad3.alaska.edu (HARRIS DENNIS P) (02/09/91)

In article <21364@versatc.versatec.COM>, dan@versatc.versatec.COM (Dan Ching) writes...

>I've installed Windows3.0 on my Novell file server (Compaq Deskpro386)
>and I want to run Windows3.0 in 386 Enhanced mode.  During the Windows
>installation I was notified that my network shell was invalid and that
>I need to upgrade the network shell.  I've been able to bring Windows
>up in REAL mode but not in 386 Enhanced mode.
>
>Can I run Windows in 386 Enhanced mode if I have Advanced NetWare 286
>ND V2.15 on the non-dedicated file server connected to a 386 clone
>running MS-DOS v4.01?  I am current using Advanced NetWare v2.15 rev A
>- Workstation Shell for DOS v4.X as my network shell.
>
>What version of the network shell do I need ?
>
>and where can I get them ?

to run windows on your net, you not only need version 3.01
shells, you will need some updated utilities (like the new
MAP.EXE that allows you to map netware directories as fake root
directories so windows won't clobber your drive mappings).

if you have access to compuserve, you can obtain the shell kit
from novell's netwire forum.  GO NDD and download DSWIN1.ZIP
through DSWIN4.ZIP.  These files include installation
instructions.  Then GO NOVA, LIB 6, and download DSWIND.ZIP,
which contains the drivers you need to gen the latest shells that
appear to be bug free (3.01 Rev. D).

Then you need to run SHGEN to gen the shell for your network
infterface card.  You can then use EMSNET4 to load your
nic-specific shell in high memory, but the new verson off ipx
still had to load in high memory.

if you don't have a compuserve id, there may be someone on the
net that has them available by ftp?

dennis p. harris					bitnet: jsdph@alaska.edu

  "The nation that controls magnetism controls the Universe." --- Diet Smith

birken@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Klaus Birken) (02/11/91)

jsdph@acad3.alaska.edu (HARRIS DENNIS P) writes:

>Then you need to run SHGEN to gen the shell for your network
>infterface card.  You can then use EMSNET4 to load your
>nic-specific shell in high memory, but the new verson off ipx
>still had to load in high memory.

yes, high mem is okay, but how can i run windows in 386 Enhanced Mode
on a non-dedicated server?
it is obvious that HIMEM isn't able do coexist with XMSNET4 ...
but is there another possibility?

Klaus Birken ____________________________ birken@immd3.uni-erlangen.de

jsdph@acad3.alaska.edu (HARRIS DENNIS P) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.113000.20586@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>, birken@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Klaus Birken) writes...
>jsdph@acad3.alaska.edu (HARRIS DENNIS P) writes:
>
>>Then you need to run SHGEN to gen the shell for your network
>>infterface card.  You can then use EMSNET4 to load your
>>nic-specific shell in high memory, but the new verson off ipx
>>still had to load in high memory.
>
>yes, high mem is okay, but how can i run windows in 386 Enhanced Mode
>on a non-dedicated server?
>it is obvious that HIMEM isn't able do coexist with XMSNET4 ...
>but is there another possibility?
>
>Klaus Birken ____________________________ birken@immd3.uni-erlangen.de

on a normal workstation, himem.sys coexists just fine with
xmsnet4.  if you're trying to use a nondedicated server as a
windows workstation in 386 mode, you're probably out of luck.

nondedicated servers are a kludge that should be avoided if at
all possible.  i don't even let my els clients use their servers
as workstations, since it costs them too much of my time to try
and get things to run properly.

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (02/13/91)

In article <21364@versatc.versatec.COM> dan@versatc.versatec.COM (Dan Ching) writes:

>I've installed Windows3.0 on my Novell file server (Compaq Deskpro386)
>and I want to run Windows3.0 in 386 Enhanced mode.  During the Windows
>installation I was notified that my network shell was invalid and that
>I need to upgrade the network shell.  I've been able to bring Windows
>up in REAL mode but not in 386 Enhanced mode.
>
>Can I run Windows in 386 Enhanced mode if I have Advanced NetWare 286
>ND V2.15 on the non-dedicated file server connected to a 386 clone
>running MS-DOS v4.01?  I am current using Advanced NetWare v2.15 rev A
>- Workstation Shell for DOS v4.X as my network shell.
Absolutely NOT.  Non dedicated NW pops back and forth from protected to real
mode.  Windows 3.0 requires control of the CPU for protected mode operation.
The two programs will be fighting over control of protected mode.  You
can run windows from a workstation not used as the file server.  You
will need the 3.01 shells.  They are up to REV. E.  The files are
available from NETWIRE.

Ken Haynes, Certified Netware Engineer
Technical Support Product Mgr.
900 Support