[comp.sys.novell] Multiuser Client/Server DBMS for 386/OS

edelheit@soldier.uucp (Jeff Edelheit) (01/31/91)

I have a requirement to develop a prototype that will use a SQL-based,
relational DBMS in a client/server architecture.  The database will
be concurrently accessed by multiple users, so the DBMS must support
record locking.

I am aware of several alternatives using a UNIX server/DOS client approach,
but I am not sure what is available using a Netware 386 server and
DOS clients.  I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,

Jeff Edelheit           (edelheit@smiley.mitre.org)
The MITRE Corporation   7525 Colshire Drive
McLean, VA   22102      (703) 883-7586

louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) (02/14/91)

In article 1991Jan31.152810.15501@linus.mitre.org edelheit@soldier.uucp (Jeff Edelheit) writes:

>I have a requirement to develop a prototype that will use a SQL-based,
>relational DBMS in a client/server architecture.  The database will
>be concurrently accessed by multiple users, so the DBMS must support
>record locking.
>
>I am aware of several alternatives using a UNIX server/DOS client approach,
>but I am not sure what is available using a Netware 386 server and
>DOS clients.  I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff Edelheit           (edelheit@smiley.mitre.org)
>The MITRE Corporation   7525 Colshire Drive
>McLean, VA   22102      (703) 883-7586

There are two DBMS that I experienced and noticed are being widely used
in a NW environment.  You can setup a OS/2 database server with Oracle or
you can use Informix's NLM on the server itself.  The NLM's performance is
unknown, because it is too new.  Reliability on any NLM products should be
look at with more care, because it runs in ring-0.  That means the f/s can
be corrupted by faulty NLM code.  Of course, if the NLM is perfect then
everything would be very nice.  Especially when this type of setup can
reduce appl-appl protocol traffic on the link and save $ on the hw.

Paul