[comp.sys.novell] Unix to Novell

leo@unipalm.uucp (E.J. Leoni-Smith) (02/08/91)

david@cerberus.bhpese.oz.au (David Masters) writes:

>Is it posible to get to a novell server from a unix workstation (386 SysV 3.2)

Yes. Sort of.

>1) What software do i need & how much

At least a PC to act as a gateway. That PC needs to run TCP/IP and Netware
concurrently. Some possibles:-

	1/. Use FTP softwares PC-210 package with the BYU IPX and a packet
	driver to get this, and run their FTPSRV product on it. This will
	allow (one at a time I think) unix users to 'get' and 'put'
	files onto the Novell server.

	2/. Use OS/2 and FTP softwares TCP/IP for OS/2. This supports telnet
	and rsh server daemons so that you can 'log in' to an OS/2 seesion
	and run OS/2 programs based on the Novell server!. You could also
	log in to the OS/2 and use the rcp command for file transfer. I haven't
	tested to see whether this supports inbound rcp from unix.

	3/. Some peole are claiming good success using SOS (stans own server)
	- a public domain NFS server on a PC that runs over PC IP - all free
	from Clarkson university via anonymous ftp.

E-mail info@ftp.com for details of local FTP software dealers.

>2) What hardware is needed (Novell lan is in thinnet)

Anything better than an NE1000 or a 3c501. Western Digital/3COM 3C503/Interlan
5210 etc..

>3) Does it work.

I have customers using 1/. 2/. is as yet untried because I have not got
Netware for OS/2 going yet.
reports say that SOS works well - but its quite a hack to compile etc.

>Scope of the job,
>	Progress database on a unix PC used for writing shift reports needs to
>be accesable by others around the plant, labour list etc is on the novell lan,
>the only user needing access to the novell lan is the operator on the PC, not
>the remote users.

Oh: Another possibility would be to use a separate ethernet card on the
Unix PC and access it via a DOS MERGE (VP/IX) type setup that runs plain
DOS netwrae IPX. Never heard of anyone trying it tho!

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (02/10/91)

david@cerberus.bhpese.oz.au (David Masters) writes:
>Is it posible to get to a novell server from a unix workstation (386 SysV 3.2)

Yes.  I've been running a beta test of SOS, an NFS server for DOS, for about
a week now.  SOS has been around for a while but I concluded I needed some
improvements to put it into use at my company.  To join my beta test of this
public-domain software, send email to me at rbraun@spdcc.com.

Here are my answers to your questions, if you choose SOS as your solution:

>1) What software do i need & how much

You need the BYU/Clarkson packet drivers for your board plus CMU PC/IP and
SOS for your system.  (It's all available for ftp from sun.soe.clarkson.edu;
my updates will soon be available for public consumption.)  The cost is
nothing.  You also need Novell client software for the DOS gateway box.

On your Unix system, you need NFS client software and TCP/IP.

>2) What hardware is needed (Novell lan is in thinnet)

You need a LAN card in your Unix box which is supported by its version of
TCP/IP.  You need a LAN card supported by Clarkson in the DOS gateway
box.  It can all be connected on one thin-net cable.

>3) Does it work.

Yes.  Performance at this point is about 1.6 Mbytes/minute for reading off
the Novell server and 1.0 Mbytes/min for writing to it; that may improve.
The Novell server's files look to Unix applications like any other NFS
server.  Text files have a <CR> inserted after the newline, though.

-rich

barr@frog.UUCP (Chris Barr) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb6.045402.8790@cerberus.bhpese.oz.au>, david@cerberus.bhpese.oz.au (David Masters) writes:

> Is it posible to get to a novell server from a unix workstation (386 SysV 3.2)

Among several vendors of 'Portable NetWare' for '386 Unix, at least one
offers a client module: 'Ported Client NetWare':  Interactive Systems Corp.
I know that some others do NOT offer client functionality, e.g. Prime's EXL-
based Unix NetWare.

Portable NetWare offers file server functionality ONLY.  Ported Client
NetWare, operating in conjunction with their DOS emulation, VP/Ix, allows
UNIX users 'access to services, files, and applications on NetWare servers'.

I only know of this from their glossy marketing sheet.
ISC
2401 Colorado Ave.
Santa Monica, CA
800-346-7111

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (02/10/91)

leo@unipalm.uucp (E.J. Leoni-Smith) writes:

>david@cerberus.bhpese.oz.au (David Masters) writes:

>>Is it posible to get to a novell server from a unix workstation (386 SysV 3.2)

>Yes. Sort of.

>>1) What software do i need & how much

>At least a PC to act as a gateway. That PC needs to run TCP/IP and Netware
>concurrently. Some possibles:-

>	1/. Use FTP softwares PC-210 package with the BYU IPX and a packet
>	driver to get this, and run their FTPSRV product on it. This will
>	allow (one at a time I think) unix users to 'get' and 'put'
>	files onto the Novell server.

>	2/. Use OS/2 and FTP softwares TCP/IP for OS/2. This supports telnet
>	and rsh server daemons so that you can 'log in' to an OS/2 seesion
>	and run OS/2 programs based on the Novell server!. You could also
>	log in to the OS/2 and use the rcp command for file transfer. I haven't
>	tested to see whether this supports inbound rcp from unix.

>	3/. Some peole are claiming good success using SOS (stans own server)
>	- a public domain NFS server on a PC that runs over PC IP - all free
>	from Clarkson university via anonymous ftp.

Another possibility would be Phil Karn's KA9Q product. That would give you
an FTPD implementation, as per 1/ and 2/, and throws in IP routing and
SMTP mail facilities as well. Still needs a PC though. Latest version
available as .exe or source - compiles happily under Turbo C++.

Martin
--
DISCLAIMER: All My Own Work (Unless stated otherwise)
Martin O'Nions            Logitek Group Support      martino@logitek.co.uk

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (02/14/91)

>david@cerberus.bhpese.oz.au (David Masters) writes:
>Is it posible to get to a novell server from a unix workstation (386 SysV 3.2)
>1) What software do i need & how much

NOVELL just announced NW version 3.11 that allows UNIX workstations to login to
NOVELL servers.  TCP/IP protocol stack support, OS/2 HPFS and finally MAC
support.  Available in April.

Ken

Ken Haynes, Certified Netware Engineer
Technical Support Product Mgr.