[comp.sys.novell] backups & reinstalls

lee@locus.com (Lee Slaughter) (02/06/91)

I have a couple of "new supervisor" questions I'd appreciate help
on.

1. I have nightly unattended tape backups going on, but I
have problems if users have stayed logged in (and of course
no amount of pleading or threatening stops this) and therefore left
files open. It screws up the backup. Is there any way to gracefully
force users off other than console's "CLEAR STATION n"?
(i.e. not damage open files)

2. This backup software theoretically collects all the bindery
information so I should be able to restore the server's disk in
the event of a catastrophic hard drive failure. I am trying to
prepare for that inevitable day.
The problem is I'm not clear how.

That is once the operating system is gen'd, I should have
everything on the diskettes, but I can't find helpful information
on exactly how one would go about re-installing this Adv Netware
v2.15 from scratch. Simply cc'ing the gen'd o/s files to the new
server hard disk and once getting the server up, restoring all
the tape backup from the workstation?  If so, what are the o/s
files I'd need to copy to the new hard drive in order to boot the
server and get him up on the net?

I hope I've stated this clearly enough.

Thanks in advance....

lee@locus.com (part-time Netware Supervisor for a friend....
		damn! I wish I could've just installed Unix!
		It would've been so much simpler!)

jsdph@acad3.alaska.edu (HARRIS DENNIS P) (02/07/91)

In article <21790@dice.la.locus.com>, lee@locus.com (Lee Slaughter) writes...
>I have a couple of "new supervisor" questions I'd appreciate help
>on.
>
>1. I have nightly unattended tape backups going on, but I
>have problems if users have stayed logged in (and of course
>no amount of pleading or threatening stops this) and therefore left
>files open. It screws up the backup. Is there any way to gracefully
>force users off other than console's "CLEAR STATION n"?
>(i.e. not damage open files)

you don't say what kind of backup software you have, but decent
backup software should allow you to skip open files.  then when
users complain when you can't restore a file, you can remind them
that you nagged them to log out before going home...  of course,
you need to let them know that you can't back up their files if
they don't log out.

>2. This backup software theoretically collects all the bindery
>information so I should be able to restore the server's disk in
>the event of a catastrophic hard drive failure. I am trying to
>prepare for that inevitable day.
>The problem is I'm not clear how.

binder info is in a couple of hidden files you can't normally
see.  that's why you need to be logged in as SUPERVISOR in order
to back up rights and trustee info.

>That is once the operating system is gen'd, I should have
>everything on the diskettes, but I can't find helpful information
>on exactly how one would go about re-installing this Adv Netware
>v2.15 from scratch. Simply cc'ing the gen'd o/s files to the new
>server hard disk and once getting the server up, restoring all
>the tape backup from the workstation?  If so, what are the o/s
>files I'd need to copy to the new hard drive in order to boot the
>server and get him up on the net?

if it's a new drive, you have to re-install, because the drive
may not be COMPSURFed.  on your existing drive, you boot with
dos, run install, and go right to the menu item that copies files
to the server.  don't forget to save a copy of your installed
backup software on a floppy to re-install on the server so you
can restore the files quickly.

dennis p. harris					bitnet: jsdph@alaska.edu

  "The nation that controls magnetism controls the Universe." --- Diet Smith

will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (William Sadler) (02/07/91)

In article <21790@dice.la.locus.com> lee@locus.com (Lee Slaughter) writes:

>1. I have nightly unattended tape backups going on, but I
>have problems if users have stayed logged in (and of course
>no amount of pleading or threatening stops this) and therefore left
>files open. It screws up the backup. Is there any way to gracefully
>force users off other than console's "CLEAR STATION n"?
>(i.e. not damage open files)

I can't get people to log off even when downing the server in an
emergency.  Sytos or Sytos plus software will skip open files then
way to prevent this problem is to educate your users.  Of course, you
could prevent usage after a certain time by restricting the
hours for usage in syscon. Just closing their connections is always
tempting.

>2. This backup software theoretically collects all the bindery
>information so I should be able to restore the server's disk in
>the event of a catastrophic hard drive failure. I am trying to
>prepare for that inevitable day.
>The problem is I'm not clear how.

You should use larchive (is it nbackup now?) to copy your bindery to
a local drive of some sort.  Also back up NET$OS.EXE.  The bindery
consists of NET$BIND.SYS and NET$BVAL.SYS.  You can restore
these to your drive by copying them on as NET$BVAL.OLD and NET$BIND.OLD
then running BINDREST.EXE

I just transferred a system to a new file server.  The procedure was basically
this:
1) back up everything on the old w/ tape backup and larchive
2) Gen the new system for the new drive onto the server.  This involves
changing the Disk drivers.  You may have to deselect the old disk driver
before you can install the new one.
3) Flag NET$OS.EXE SRO and the restore the bindery from the old server
by using BINDREST
4) Copy everything else onto the new drive using your tape backup EXCEPT
net$os.exe and any .vap files
5) re-install vaps

I would not rely on your backup software for the bindery and net$os.exe,
especially if your backup software won't skip open files.

Good luck,
Will

*   _______________\|/_      Will Sadler     will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu   *
*   Laser 44888    /|\                       sadler@iubacs.bitnet         *

karinc@isc.intel.com (Karin Coffee) (02/15/91)

In article <10618@cica.cica.indiana.edu> will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (William Sadler) writes:
>In article <21790@dice.la.locus.com> lee@locus.com (Lee Slaughter) writes:
>>
>>1. I have nightly unattended tape backups going on, but I
>>have problems if users have stayed logged in (and of course
>>no amount of pleading or threatening stops this) and therefore left
>>files open. It screws up the backup. Is there any way to gracefully
>>force users off other than console's "CLEAR STATION n"?
>>(i.e. not damage open files)
>
>I can't get people to log off even when downing the server in an
>emergency.  Sytos or Sytos plus software will skip open files then
>way to prevent this problem is to educate your users.  Of course, you
>could prevent usage after a certain time by restricting the
>hours for usage in syscon. Just closing their connections is always
>tempting.

I use this strategy so that my backups run cleanly, but restricting the
login hours in syscon does not do a graceful logout of the user.  It
simply clears the station.  I'm down to about 6 users getting kicked off
each night.  Eventually they get tired of having to reboot every morning,
and then they come ask me about it, but I have requested and explained and
bitched until I'm blue in the face, and they still don't log out when they
leave.  So, I disconnect them every night.  Some day they'll learn.

Evidently there are some third-party software packages available that
back users out of the application that they are in and then log them out,
but I haven't found them yet.

Anybody else seen these?

   Karin Coffee				Intel Supercomputer Systems Division
   Network/System Administration	15201 NW Greenbrier Parkway
   The LAN Lords 			Beaverton, OR  97201
   karinc@isc.intel.com 		(503) 629-7693