[comp.sys.novell] Need space - ESDI/SCSI conflicts?

34HLEFG@CMUVM.BITNET (Mark Strandskov) (02/12/91)

I have a client who purchased a IBM Model 80-071 with a second 71 Meg
ESDI drive.  They are running SFT Netware v2.15 and they have already
run out of space.  They are currently mirroring the two drives and
would like to continue to do so.  Now, it is obvious that they need
more space and they were thinking of getting larger SCSI drives.
I have heard that Netware has a problem with having both ESDI and
SCSI controllers in the fileserver.  They certainly don't want to
scrap both ESDI drives if they don't have to.  Does anyone know if
this is true?  I would also appreciate any recommendations on disk
drive subsystems.  They will be probably looking at two 300 Meg
SCSI drives.

Thanks.

Mark Strandskov
Central Michigan University
Bitnet:  34HLEFG@CMUVM

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) (02/13/91)

34HLEFG@CMUVM.BITNET (Mark Strandskov) writes:
>[...]
>would like to continue to do so.  Now, it is obvious that they need
>more space and they were thinking of getting larger SCSI drives.
>I have heard that Netware has a problem with having both ESDI and
>SCSI controllers in the fileserver.  They certainly don't want to
>scrap both ESDI drives if they don't have to.  Does anyone know if
>this is true?  I would also appreciate any recommendations on disk
>drive subsystems.  They will be probably looking at two 300 Meg
>SCSI drives.

A colleague and I recently installed a Storage Dimensions LANStor
600meg external SCSI hard drive and controller in an IBM PS/2 Model 80
Novell Server running Advanced Netware 2.15c (wow, that was a
mouthful! ;-).  The IBM Model 80 server has an IBM ESDI controller and
a Micropolis 350meg internal hard drive in it (which is *not* the
original hard drive shipped with the Model 80).

Although we spent a ten-hour day getting the system running (we had
problems figuring out how to compile and link the new OS), I am happy
to report that the installation of the SCSI drive was remarkably easy.
LANStor (which is "a Maxtor Company") provided reasonable
documentation, and their software driver seems to work well and has
not had any conflicts with Netware.  Our Model 80 server is also a bit
touchy, because it runs Netware on two separate networks (Ethernet and
ArcNet), has an IBM memory card, and an extra parallel port.  Given
all of the potential for conflicts with our server, the LANStor SCSI
system has worked very well.

Given our limited experience with this Storage Dimensions LANStor
system (it has been running a wee bit over two weeks now), I can
recommend it as a good product that is easy to install.  We had heard
about problems with ESDI and SCSI conflicts, and were a bit skeptical,
but everything has worked out very well so far.

					.oO Chris Oo.
--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485     We carry in our hearts the true country,
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene     And that cannot be stolen.

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (02/15/91)

In article <91042.13420734HLEFG@CMUVM.BITNET> 34HLEFG@CMUVM.BITNET (Mark Strandskov) writes:
>I have a client who purchased a IBM Model 80-071 with a second 71 Meg
>ESDI drive.  They are running SFT Netware v2.15 and they have already
>run out of space.  They are currently mirroring the two drives and
>would like to continue to do so.  Now, it is obvious that they need
>more space and they were thinking of getting larger SCSI drives.
>I have heard that Netware has a problem with having both ESDI and
>SCSI controllers in the fileserver.  They certainly don't want to
>scrap both ESDI drives if they don't have to.  Does anyone know if
>this is true?  I would also appreciate any recommendations on disk
>drive subsystems.  They will be probably looking at two 300 Meg
>SCSI drives.

Netware will support both ESDI and SCSI drives in a single file server.
The problems you *MAY* encounter relate to running out of FSPs.  While
the discussion of FSPs is a long one, let it suffice to say, he'd be
better of just going to a single method of disk I/O, say all SCSI.
Regarding disk subsystems that are approved... You can check with
NETWIRE regarding the list of IMSP reports, they will contain the
approved hardware listings.

Ken

Ken Haynes, Certified Netware Engineer
Technical Support Product Mgr.