[comp.sys.novell] Non-dedicated server with partition > 32M?

liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) (02/12/91)

I currently have SFT Netware 286 2.11 running in a
non-dedicated server setup.  This allows the server
cpu to also be used as a node but it requires the
entire Netware and DOS boot partitions to reside in
the first 32M of disk space.  If I were to use a DOS
version > 3.3 (hence large paritions) would that 32M
limit still apply?  Is the limitation in the version
of DOS I'm using or is it inherent in Netware?

Thanks for any comments...

--
Jimmy Liberato   liberato@dri.com
                 ...uunet!drivax!liberato

jack@cscdec.cs.com (Jack Hudler) (02/13/91)

In article <Z3YXJHC@dri.com> liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) writes:
>I currently have SFT Netware 286 2.11 running in a
>non-dedicated server setup.  This allows the server

Isn't Fault Tolerant on a non-dedicated server a contradiction in terms!
--
Jack           Computer Support Corporation             Dallas,Texas
Hudler         Internet: jack@cscdec.cs.com

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (02/15/91)

In article <Z3YXJHC@dri.com> liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) writes:
>I currently have SFT Netware 286 2.11 running in a
>non-dedicated server setup.  This allows the server
>cpu to also be used as a node but it requires the
>entire Netware and DOS boot partitions to reside in
>the first 32M of disk space.  If I were to use a DOS
>version > 3.3 (hence large paritions) would that 32M
>limit still apply?  Is the limitation in the version
>of DOS I'm using or is it inherent in Netware?

It's just the BOOT partition that needs to reside in the first 32 MEG,
after that you can partition Novell any way you need to.  DOS has the
32 MEG limitation.  Since you must boot DOS first for non dedicated
systems, DOS must have it's boot record at track 0.  Once DOS is loaded,
you can then load the NW OS.  It will read it's own configuration/partition
information and act accordingly.

Ken

Ken Haynes, Certified Netware Engineer
Technical Support Product Mgr.