[comp.sys.novell] Some frustrating experiences with Novell

dakwala@acsu.buffalo.edu (Nikhil Dakwala) (02/18/91)

In article <3557@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> tan@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Shufeng Tan) writes:

>I am sort of in charge of a bunch of Zenith 386 PC's which networked
>through Novell 286, Version 2.15. In the system login script some lines
>look like these:
>
>MAP INS S1:=XXXX/SYS:PUBLIC
>MAP INS S2:=XXXX/SYS:PUBLIC/APPLICATION1
>MAP INS S3:=XXXX/SYS:PUBLIC/APPLICATION2
>MAP INS S9:=XXXX/SYS:PUBLIC/APPLICATION8
>MAP INS S10:=C:\APPLICATION9
>MAP INS S11:=C:\APPLICATION10

It all depends on how many actual network drives that you are having,
which is determined by your "lastdrive" statement in the "config.sys"
file.

>I would expect to see all directories for the 10 applications on the
>searching path. But actually only 9 of them appeared when I used MAP
>command. I also saw C:\BIN on the searching path, which I suppose was
>inherited from DOS shell. The directory for the last application is

that is right, all the directories in your "path" statement also
appear in the map information.

This is how all this things work, someone please correct me if I am
wrong.

e.g., the lastdrive=m, in your config.sys file. So, now, the login
drive is going to me "n", in your autoexec.bat file. So, actually the
drives available to you are only ranging from o to z. So the search
drives can be mapped only to the remaining drives. If you use some of
those drives to map to some other directories, the number of search
drives available are reduced accordingly.

The best way to map search drives is by using this format:

map ins s16 ............., everytime you map a search drive, you don't
have to worry about numbering the search drives in this case.

hope that this helps................

Nikhil