[comp.sys.novell] Unix -> Novell printing

mcitron@phad.hsc.usc.edu (Mark Citron) (02/18/91)

There have been several posting lately regarding printing from a
Novell to Unix lpr. I want to go the other way and eliminate Unix
print servers by printing though Novell connected printers. Novell
printers are easier to connect via ethernet and dont need an
'official' IP address like Unix print servers do.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

Thanks for any info
Mark Citron

--
Mark Citron
mark@neurosci.usc.edu

roto@csc.fi (02/18/91)

In article <30465@usc>, mcitron@phad.hsc.usc.edu (Mark Citron) writes:
> There have been several posting lately regarding printing from a
> Novell to Unix lpr. I want to go the other way and eliminate Unix
> print servers by printing though Novell connected printers. Novell
> printers are easier to connect via ethernet and dont need an
> 'official' IP address like Unix print servers do.
>
> Any thoughts on how to do this?
>
> Thanks for any info
> Mark Citron
>
> --
> Mark Citron
> mark@neurosci.usc.edu

We currently print from 3 unix computers to the novell printers.
But the whole solution is far from elegant. The print jobs on the unix are put
on the novell server using FTP and the micom interlan tcp/ip gateway card ( I
refuse to recomend this product) and a PC polls the directories on the server
and print the jobs to novell.
Instead if the gateway, you could use a second PC running NCSA telnet or try
putting both pc-nfs or similar and novell drivers on the PC that does the
polling...

just some ideas...

yours,
Vesa Roto    roto@csc.fi  visa@shh.fi  supervisor@shh.fi

nenaas@ulrik.uio.no (Nils-Eivind Naas) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb18.133302.1@csc.fi> roto@csc.fi writes:

   In article <30465@usc>, mcitron@phad.hsc.usc.edu (Mark Citron) writes:
   > There have been several posting lately regarding printing from a
   > Novell to Unix lpr. I want to go the other way and eliminate Unix
   > print servers by printing though Novell connected printers. Novell
   > printers are easier to connect via ethernet and dont need an
   > 'official' IP address like Unix print servers do.
   >
   > Any thoughts on how to do this?
   >
   > Thanks for any info
   > Mark Citron
   >
   > --
   > Mark Citron
   > mark@neurosci.usc.edu

   We currently print from 3 unix computers to the novell printers.
   But the whole solution is far from elegant. The print jobs on the unix are put
   on the novell server using FTP and the micom interlan tcp/ip gateway card ( I
   refuse to recomend this product) and a PC polls the directories on the server
   and print the jobs to novell.
   Instead if the gateway, you could use a second PC running NCSA telnet or try
   putting both pc-nfs or similar and novell drivers on the PC that does the
   polling...

   just some ideas...

   yours,
   Vesa Roto    roto@csc.fi  visa@shh.fi  supervisor@shh.fi

On the anonymous ftp site rodan.acs.syr.edu version 3 of Charon,
a Novell <-> TCP/IP gateway is to be found.
This claims to support transparent 2-way printing between Unix and Novell.
In conjunction with the Pegasus Mail program it also offers SMTP mail
to Novell 2.15 users.

It has been discussed at great length on bit.listserv.novell.

A pity the distribution of this list has faltered has faltered since
the appearance of comp.sys.novell.

Yours,
Nils-Eivind Naas      ISAF, Oslo

cintra4@milton.u.washington.edu (Dave Lange) (02/19/91)

nenaas@ulrik.uio.no (Nils-Eivind Naas) writes:
[..]

>On the anonymous ftp site rodan.acs.syr.edu version 3 of Charon,
>a Novell <-> TCP/IP gateway is to be found.
>This claims to support transparent 2-way printing between Unix and Novell.
>In conjunction with the Pegasus Mail program it also offers SMTP mail
>to Novell 2.15 users.
[..]
Just to keep the story straight, the announcements of Charon 3.1 are a little
more current than the manual. LPR/LPD support DID NOT make it into the 3.1
Charon release.

The code for LPR/LPD exists in Charon 2.0A (a previous release) that is
available from omnigate.clarkson.edu under CUTCP. I believe there are plans
to move this functionality up to the most recent release of Charon, but I
haven't seen a time estimate.

Dave Lange   cintra4@u.washington.edu