[comp.sys.novell] Novell-MS Windows 3.0 Print Problems

johnb@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (John Burenheide) (02/07/91)

	I am currently having problems printing from windows to a
	network printer under two different scenarios.  The server is a
	Vectra 486 running Dos 4.01 and Novell NetWare 386 v3.1.  The
	workstations are all running Dos 4.01 and Windows 3.0.  The
	network printer is an HP LaserJet Series II.

	When anyone prints from Microsoft Project for Windows v1.0, the
	output is garbage.  Also any attempt to print from another
	windows application after that also prints garbage. (Excel, Word
	for Windows, Write).  The only way to clear the problem, is to
	restart windows.  All applications are run from the c: disk.

	The second problem I encounter is when all the applications are
	run from the Netware Server.  (Windows, Excel, Word for
	Windows).  All the applications run fine, but again there is
	printing problems.  The first workstation prints ok, but the
	second and beyond will print garbage from any and all
	applications running under windows.  The only fix I've found is
	to map all workstation network drives the same.  Each
	application would be running from the same network disk on each
	workstation. Is this the only way it will work, or am I doing
	something wrong?

	I have examined the print Queues on the Novell server.  The data
	is already garbaged in the Queue.  The data must be getting
	trashed in the Vectra workstation inside of Windows.  The
	network looks ok.  Any clues out there?

birken@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Klaus Birken) (02/11/91)

johnb@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (John Burenheide) writes:
>	I am currently having problems printing from windows to a
>	network printer under two different scenarios.  The server is a
>	Vectra 486 running Dos 4.01 and Novell NetWare 386 v3.1.  The
>	workstations are all running Dos 4.01 and Windows 3.0.  The
>	network printer is an HP LaserJet Series II.

i have the same problems...
configuration: two DELL System 325 (80386) machines
               connected via Netware ELS II
               windows 3.0

i tested for 4 days now and found the following (astonishing) facts:

you create a short text file, a single line or so. application doesn't mention.
let's use windows write.

now:
    o    printing to FILE:   ok, no mistakes, for every printer driver a
                             single solution. you can copy this file to
                             a printer queue, and everything works.
                             (server & diskless workstation)
    o    printing to PQUEUE:
           o   server:       i didn't manage to run windows on this non-
                             dedicated server in 386 Enhanced, only Real Mode works.
                             but there is enough memory to run the printer driver.
                             the PrintManager shows that the printed file has
                             about 1KByte. Correct.
           o   diskless:     Windows in 386 Enhanced Mode.
                             the PrintManager shows: 69KByte.
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^  MISTAKE!
this value of 69 KByte depends on:
  - the size of the source file (source file * 70 = printed file)
  - nothing else
it DOESN'T depend on:
  - the printer driver. every printer driver produces the same file. ?!

i phoned the DELL hotline, they are testing since 3 days...

no results up to now.

in my opinion this is a bug in novell netware. or in windows. i don't know.
*desperation*

Klaus Birken __________________________________ birken@immd3.uni-erlangen.de

karinc@isc.intel.com (Karin Coffee) (02/15/91)

In article <14360003@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> johnb@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (John Burenheide) writes:

>	When anyone prints from Microsoft Project for Windows v1.0, the
>	output is garbage.  Also any attempt to print from another
>	windows application after that also prints garbage. (Excel, Word
>	for Windows, Write).  The only way to clear the problem, is to
>	restart windows.  All applications are run from the c: disk.
>
>	The second problem I encounter is when all the applications are
>	run from the Netware Server.  (Windows, Excel, Word for
>	Windows).  All the applications run fine, but again there is
>	printing problems.  The first workstation prints ok, but the
>	second and beyond will print garbage from any and all
>	applications running under windows.  The only fix I've found is
>	to map all workstation network drives the same.  Each
>	application would be running from the same network disk on each
>	workstation. Is this the only way it will work, or am I doing
>	something wrong?

We have all sorts of problems printing using the Windows printer drivers.
Excel for Windows has a "known problem" with the HP ProCollection font
cartridge.  Deleting any knowledge of the font cartridge out of the printer
configuration helped with that.

Microsoft Project and other Windows utilities had problems with DOSED, which
is a history file that we run on all of the DOS machines.  This is also a
"known problem" which Microsoft acknowledges, but isn't actively fixing that
I know of.  They told me that any of the TSRs that are designed to store
command histories can cause this problem.  We were getting reams of paper
out of the printer with a few characters or lines of garbage on them.

Finally, Microsoft recently sent me (at my request) updated printer drivers
for the HP LaserJet III.  I expect that they have updated drivers from the
LaserJet Series II also.  No charge, other than the long distance phone call
and sitting on hold for 30-45 minutes.  The new drivers have helped a lot.
Not completely, mind you, but it's better.

   Karin Coffee				Intel Supercomputer Systems Division
   Network/System Administration	15201 NW Greenbrier Parkway
   The LAN Lords 			Beaverton, OR  97201
   karinc@isc.intel.com 		(503) 629-7693

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb11.114707.21100@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> birken@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Klaus Birken) writes:
>johnb@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (John Burenheide) writes:
>configuration: two DELL System 325 (80386) machines
>               connected via Netware ELS II
>               windows 3.0
>
>i tested for 4 days now and found the following (astonishing) facts:
>
>you create a short text file, a single line or so. application doesn't mention.
>let's use windows write.
>
>now:
>    o    printing to FILE:   ok, no mistakes, for every printer driver a
>                             dedicated server in 386 Enhanced, only Real Mode works.
>                             but there is enough memory to run the printer driver.
>                             the PrintManager shows that the printed file has
>                             about 1KByte. Correct.
>           o   diskless:     Windows in 386 Enhanced Mode.
>                             the PrintManager shows: 69KByte.
>                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^  MISTAKE!
>this value of 69 KByte depends on:
>  - the size of the source file (source file * 70 = printed file)
>  - nothing else
>it DOESN'T depend on:
>  - the printer driver. every printer driver produces the same file. ?!
>
>i phoned the DELL hotline, they are testing since 3 days...
>
>no results up to now.
>
>in my opinion this is a bug in novell netware. or in windows. i don't know.

Does the print job print?  Is this "bug" just that the file size is larger
than you expect?  What Netware Shell version are you running?

Ken Haynes, Certified Netware Engineer
Technical Support Product Mgr.
900 Support

bchin@is-next.umd.edu (Bill Chin) (02/17/91)

I have different problem.  I just installed Windows 3.0 on a
Novell 386 3.1 network - and printing doesn't work.  However,
on my networked PS/2 80 with its own copy of Windows, things
are fine.  The network installation of Windows sometimes
hangs the printer (an Apple Laserwriter NTX) or spits out
a blank sheet of paper.  This happens from both Write and
Notepad.  Other apps (WordPerfect, Quattro, etc.) work fine.

I expanded the Windows files according to the FM, and ran
setup /n.  These files I then copied to the local hard
drive of each machine (PS/2 55SX) each time Windows is executed.
(public open lab)

Using version E of XMSNET4 (dswine.zip) and the Netware drivers provided
on the Windows Supplemental Driver Library (SDL).  Will Windows
3.0a help?

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.
--
 Bill Chin                           internet: bchin@is-next.umd.edu
 MS-Windows Programmer                   NeXT: bchin@sinai.umd.edu

ksbirken@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Klaus Birken) (02/19/91)

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) writes:

>In article <1991Feb11.114707.21100@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> birken@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Klaus Birken) writes:
>>configuration: two DELL System 325 (80386) machines
>>               connected via Netware ELS II
>>               windows 3.0
>>
>>you create a short text file, a single line or so. application doesn't mention.
>>
>>    o    printing to FILE:   ok, no mistakes, for every printer driver a
>>                             but there is enough memory to run the printer driver.
>>                             the PrintManager shows that the printed file has
>>                             about 1KByte. Correct.
>>           o   diskless:     Windows in 386 Enhanced Mode.
>>                             the PrintManager shows: 69KByte.
>>                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^  MISTAKE!
>>this value of 69 KByte depends on:
>>  - the size of the source file (source file * 70 = printed file)
>>  - nothing else
>>it DOESN'T depend on:
>>  - the printer driver. every printer driver produces the same file. ?!

>Does the print job print?
Yes, it does. About forty pages of garbage (only 5 to 10 characters per page)

>Is this "bug" just that the file size is larger
>than you expect?
No, the original file isn't printed. the printer (canon lbp 4) produces
a lot of garbage.

>What Netware Shell version are you running?
It's XMSNET4 Shell Version 3.01. (the one windows complains for if you
use 2.15)
I don't know which Rev. Where can I get E?

thanx in advance,
klaus

hadgraft@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb11.114707.21100@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>, birken@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Klaus Birken) writes:

> you create a short text file, a single line or so. application doesn't mention.
> let's use windows write.
>
> now:
>     o    printing to FILE:   ok, no mistakes, for every printer driver a
>                              single solution. you can copy this file to
>                              a printer queue, and everything works.
>                              (server & diskless workstation)
>     o    printing to PQUEUE:
>            o   server:       i didn't manage to run windows on this non-
>                              dedicated server in 386 Enhanced, only Real Mode works.
>                              but there is enough memory to run the printer driver.
>                              the PrintManager shows that the printed file has
>                              about 1KByte. Correct.
>            o   diskless:     Windows in 386 Enhanced Mode.
>                              the PrintManager shows: 69KByte.
>                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^  MISTAKE!
> this value of 69 KByte depends on:
>   - the size of the source file (source file * 70 = printed file)
>   - nothing else
> it DOESN'T depend on:
>   - the printer driver. every printer driver produces the same file. ?!

Same problem here. I've got around the problem by printing to file, then giving
LPT2 as the filename. LPT2 is redirected to the appropriate print queue by
CAPTURE. This is a fix, but I'd love to have the problem properly sorted out.
Does anyone have a solution?
  |  Senior Lecturer                |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au   |
  |  Dept of Civil Engineering      |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983          |
  |  Monash University              |  fax:    +61 3 565 4944 or 3409  |