[comp.sys.novell] Print Server Performance

jmatrow@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Matrow) (02/07/91)

On my NetWare 386 server, the parallel printer runs fine.
When I move it to the DOS print server, performance is terrible.
In SHELL.CFG I have SPX Connections = 120.
Any suggestions?
--
John Matrow   6091 Engineering, NCR Peripheral Products Division
 NCR:654-8851 <J.Matrow@Wichita.NCR.COM>

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (02/14/91)

In article <6425@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM> jmatrow@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Matrow) writes:
>On my NetWare 386 server, the parallel printer runs fine.
>When I move it to the DOS print server, performance is terrible.
>In SHELL.CFG I have SPX Connections = 120.
>Any suggestions?

Remote printing and print server printing requires the printer port be
interrupt driven.  Some manufacturers of I/O cards have taken shortcuts
and not made the port interrupt driven because DOS polls the parallel port
and does not use interrupts.  If you experience slowdown when printing to
a remote or printserver port, change the configuration to not use interrupts.
This will match the software with the hardware and should improve performance.
If this doesn't work, try swapping the I/O card for one that uses interrupts,
and switch the software back.

Ken

Ken Haynes, Certified Netware Engineer
Technical Support Product Mgr.
900 Support

leonard@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Leonard Erickson) (02/24/91)

jmatrow@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Matrow) writes:

>On my NetWare 386 server, the parallel printer runs fine.
>When I move it to the DOS print server, performance is terrible.
>In SHELL.CFG I have SPX Connections = 120.
>Any suggestions?

We discovered that the Netware 386 softeware for a dedicated printserver
running on a PC works acceptably. *UNLESS* you have more than one printer
attached to that machine. Then the print rate can be measured in characters
per *minute*...

If the machine is going to be *dedicated* buy an Intel NetPort. They are
a small black box with a parallel port, a serial port and a thick or thin
Ethernet port. Define the ethernet address as a print server, hook the
printer up, and turn on the power. They run *incredibly* fast.
--
Leonard Erickson			leonard@qiclab.uucp
personal:	CIS: [70465,203]	70465.203@compuserve.com