[comp.sys.novell] Novell TCP/IP and NFS

jfb@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Jamie Bradford) (02/07/91)

Does anyone out there know anything about Novell's TCP/IP and NFS
packages for Netware?  I've been hearing rumours about a TCP package
for some time, but have found nothing out there.  The NFS I just
heard about, but have been able to find no release date.

Help, please!!

Thanks.

Jamie Bradford
jfb@naucse.cse.nau.edu

wittmann@erb1.engr.wisc.edu (art wittmann) (02/11/91)

In article <3294@naucse.cse.nau.edu> jfb@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Jamie Bradford) writes:
>Does anyone out there know anything about Novell's TCP/IP and NFS
>packages for Netware?  I've been hearing rumours about a TCP package
>for some time, but have found nothing out there.  The NFS I just
>heard about, but have been able to find no release date.

From what I understand, you can probably expect
to hear something this week (from networld Boston).

Better have you checkbook ready!

Art

karinc@isc.intel.com (Karin Coffee) (02/15/91)

In article <3294@naucse.cse.nau.edu> jfb@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Jamie Bradford) writes:
>Does anyone out there know anything about Novell's TCP/IP and NFS
>packages for Netware?  I've been hearing rumours about a TCP package
>for some time, but have found nothing out there.  The NFS I just
>heard about, but have been able to find no release date.

According to my vendor, Novell announced yesterday (2/13/91) that the MAC.NLM
and the NFS.NLM will be released March 10, 1991.  However, in order to use the
MAC.NLM, we will have to install NetWare 386 (now to be called NetWare 3),
version 3.11.

The NFS.NLM will be released in two pieces, one before the other.  I have
been trying to find out for months just what the NFS.NLM is going to buy
us.  All I could get yesterday was that it will be able to do file
transfer and routing.  I am interested in printing.

We have approximately 60 Sun workstations, 50+ DOS workstations, and 30
Macintoshes.  There are printers attached to the Suns, printers attached
to the Novell network, and (until I get the Macs bridged in), printers
attached to the Localtalk wire.  We are interested in giving every machine
in the building the ability to print on any printer in the building,
seamlessly.  I know that once the Macs are bridged in the Macs and PCs will
be able to reach all of the Mac and Novell printers, but that doesn't help
the engineer who has a Sun and sits on the other side of a partition from
an Apple LaserWriter.

If anyone has any information or ideas about how to accomplish this, I'd
like to hear it.  We've looked at TOPS, but it doesn't give the seamlessness
that we are looking for.  That, and having to install it on every blessed
workstation!

Thanks!

   Karin Coffee				Intel Supercomputer Systems Division
   Network/System Administration	15201 NW Greenbrier Parkway
   The LAN Lords 			Beaverton, OR  97201
   karinc@isc.intel.com 		(503) 629-7693

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (02/17/91)

karinc@isc.intel.com (Karin Coffee) writes:
>The NFS.NLM will be released in two pieces, one before the other.  I have
>been trying to find out for months just what the NFS.NLM is going to buy
>us.  All I could get yesterday was that it will be able to do file
>transfer and routing.  I am interested in printing.

>If anyone has any information or ideas about how to accomplish this, I'd
>like to hear it.

I'm interested in doing the same thing, and I'm willing to make my
solution available publicly.  I've brought up a much more robust version
of SOS (an NFS server for DOS which to which I've added Novell hooks),
which provides seamless access to Novell files.  It would be relatively
easy to add LPD support.

My offer is this:  send me a detailed document describing all of the
TCP/IP packets required of the standard LPD network printer daemon
interface, and I'll add LPD support to SOS.  Then you can have SOS
source and/or binaries, which will allow you to set up a system on
your TCP/IP network to which you could attach printer queues using
standard Unix TCP/IP software.

Anyone who is interested in my beta DOS NFS software (which can be used
either in conjunction with Novell or just to create an inexpensive file
server for a PC-NFS environment), please send e-mail to rbraun@spdcc.com.

By the way, I'm doing all this work so I don't have to *use* a DOS
system day-to-day; I want access to DOS resources from a Unix system.
I don't want to acquire the reputation here of being a DOS expert...

At the risk of asking the wrong newsgroup, I'm also interested in finding
out what it takes to convert a program like SOS into a TSR, allowing it
to be run on a non-dedicated PC or perhaps even a Novell file server.

-rich
rbraun@spdcc.com

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (02/24/91)

karinc@isc.intel.com (Karin Coffee) writes:

>The NFS.NLM will be released in two pieces, one before the other.  I have
>been trying to find out for months just what the NFS.NLM is going to buy
>us.  All I could get yesterday was that it will be able to do file
>transfer and routing.  I am interested in printing.

The joys of NFS....... Files Only from the original spec.

Like other people, we are starting to look at CHARON, so if people post
back with reports on this, we'll be interested.

For those looking for a description of the LPR/LPD suite, there is now an
RFC available detailing the protocol used (RFC1179 I think). It's relatively
recent (Aug '90), so many sites don't have it at the moment. Anybody who
archives comp.doc should have it, or if you can't find it anywhere else,
mail me and I'll try and sneak it past our increasingly cost-concious
postmaster............

Martin

--
DISCLAIMER: All My Own Work (Unless stated otherwise)
Martin O'Nions            Logitek Group Support      martino@logitek.co.uk