[comp.sys.novell] Clarkson BYU & WD8003e Problem?

toddc@.TV.TEK.COM (Todd Carlson) (02/23/91)

We are having a problem where several PC's that have WD8003e cards
lock-up at random times; they are running the Clarkson BYU Packet driver.

These PC's are linked to the fileserver by a T1 line, and there are
PC's with the same configuration at the same location as the fileserver
that have not had any problems.

The symptom has appeared when the PC's are both idle, and in use.
(We are running Netware 386 3.1)

                      ANY IDEAS???

As a patch, we have replaced the ipx with the actual WD8003e IPX that
we downloaded from Western Digital, but we would like to use the BYU
as a standard.

                                Thanks in advance,

                                           Todd

Todd Carlson                      |      "Soon the Gypsie Queen,
toddc@amati.TV.TEK.COM            |       in a glaze of Vaseline,
Computer Resources Coordinator    |       will perform on guillotine.
TV Division, Tektronix Inc.       |       What a scene, what a scene."

In article <5255@tekfdi.FDI.TEK.COM> toddc@.TV.TEK.COM (Todd Carlson) writes:

   We are having a problem where several PC's that have WD8003e cards
   lock-up at random times; they are running the Clarkson BYU Packet driver.

   These PC's are linked to the fileserver by a T1 line, and there are
   PC's with the same configuration at the same location as the fileserver
   that have not had any problems.

What an interesting problem you have.  [translation: I'm glad it's not mine.]

I'll have to cogitate on this one.  [translation: I'm nearly clueless.]

Since, as you say, identical configurations on the other side of the T1
line don't have problems, I suspect something in the timing of the packets.
[translation: rephrase what they said and repeat it back to them.]

Perhaps you could temporarily put a file server on the local net?
[translation: grasp at a straw, any straw in a storm.]  Perhaps you
could try a different Ethernet card?  [translation: all Ethernet
controllers have bugs, perhaps invoking different bugs might help] Are
you using the 8.x release?  [translation: get them to go away and get
the latest version [but seriously, this worked the last two times I
tried it]].

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

toddc@.TV.TEK.COM (Todd Carlson) (02/26/91)

>In article <5255@tekfdi.FDI.TEK.COM> toddc@.TV.TEK.COM (Todd Carlson) writes:
>
>>   We are having a problem where several PC's that have WD8003e cards
>>   lock-up at random times; they are running the Clarkson BYU Packet driver.
>>
>>   These PC's are linked to the fileserver by a T1 line, and there are
>>   PC's with the same configuration at the same location as the fileserver
>>   that have not had any problems.
>
>.............  Perhaps you
>could try a different Ethernet card?  [translation: all Ethernet
>controllers have bugs, perhaps invoking different bugs might help] Are
>you using the 8.x release?  [translation: get them to go away and get
>the latest version [but seriously, this worked the last two times I
>tried it]].

We have tried using different ethernet cards (3Com 503's and Sytek 16bit),
but they have not reproduced the same error.  I guess I will try your
suggestion of throwing another fileserver on the same side of the T1
link, and if that doesn't work, apply at Burger King.

                                       Thanks.