[comp.sys.novell] ??? Compaq33L & Advanced 2.15C problems, cpu's meter faulty ???

aprzygie@iiic.ethz.ch (Antoni Bronislaw Przygienda) (03/05/91)

I lately installed a net (Advanced Netware 2.15) with a COMPAQ 386/33L as
server (Novell NE2000 in it). Questions:

	1) the server runs for 4 or 5 days normally & stops! The screen is
	   still active, but it shows no reaction on any keyboard input.
	   After reboot it works for another 4 or 5 days. The funniest thing
	   is, it doesn't fail under heavy load, but at almost no load
	   (4 or 5% & someone listing a directory for example).
	   I heard several theories from people who installed a lot of
	   Netware before (incl. the Novell dealer):
		i) the ethernet cable is not good enough (quality), so
		   installing a fast server with a lot of traffic on net
		   brings the server down ?!
	       ii) I installed the rprinter.vap on server. Someone told
		   me it's buggy ?!
	2) the "monitor"'s cpu-load-meter goes crazy. It shows first a
	   couple of asteriks & then a load of 170% and more ?! When I
	   slows the compaq by 30% it behaves normally. I looks strongly
	   the way as if the meter would have been tested up to machines
	   with 25MHz by Novell (although I can't really believe it) &
	   has kind of a time-loop in it overflowing on faster ones.

Some hints ?? I'll resume for the net

						Tony

samba@sm.sony.co.jp (Masaaki Hoshino) (03/05/91)

In article <26593@neptune.inf.ethz.ch>, aprzygie@iiic.ethz.ch (Antoni Bronislaw Przygienda) writes:
> I lately installed a net (Advanced Netware 2.15) with a COMPAQ 386/33L as
> server (Novell NE2000 in it). Questions:
>
> 	1) the server runs for 4 or 5 days normally & stops! The screen is
> 	   still active, but it shows no reaction on any keyboard input.
> 	   After reboot it works for another 4 or 5 days. The funniest thing
> 	   is, it doesn't fail under heavy load, but at almost no load
> 	   (4 or 5% & someone listing a directory for example).
> 	   I heard several theories from people who installed a lot of
> 	   Netware before (incl. the Novell dealer):

> 	2) the "monitor"'s cpu-load-meter goes crazy. It shows first a
> 	   couple of asteriks & then a load of 170% and more ?! When I
> 	   slows the compaq by 30% it behaves normally. I looks strongly
> 	   the way as if the meter would have been tested up to machines
> 	   with 25MHz by Novell (although I can't really believe it) &
> 	   has kind of a time-loop in it overflowing on faster ones.
>
> Some hints ?? I'll resume for the net

	I have same problems in Advanced 2.15C with the following machine.
			Compaq  DeskPro 486 25MHz
			Sony	PCX-700 486 33MHz
        The DOS Process on Server is very slow and no reaction on any keyboard
	input, when server is no load.
	And also the CPU meter ( Utilization = ** % ) goes crazy, it indicate
        170% ,230 % or etc.
	These troubles doesn't occur under heavy load.
	When I slow the 486(CPU Cash off), it behaves normally.

							Masaaki Hoshino
							Sony corp.
							Tokyo Japan.
							samba@sm.sony