[comp.sys.novell] Netware 386 and 32-bit applications

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) (03/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1991 00:38:54 GMT

In article <1991Feb26.075931.16224@agate.berkeley.edu> jeffw@scam.Berkeley.EDU (Jeff Wallace) writes:
>Even though Novell says that they don't
>support it, is it possible to do a 32-bit client?

Yes! You need to link a piece of software called a "DOS Extender" into your
application. DOS Extenders allow your protected mode, 32 bit application
to make calls to humble real mode software sitting in low memory. The humble
real mode software to which I refer inludes DOS itself, as well as our IPX
code. Using a DOS extender, you should be able to devise a way of using the
IPX far call interface we provide. I'm uncertain as to whether you could
use our CLIBS as they get linked into the app along with the DOS extender!
All they actually do is hide the assembler interface anyways.

Zortech might be able to sell you a DOS extender along with the compiler.
They might even have one in the product. Otherwise, try calling Quarterdeck
Office Systems on 213 392 9851. They are the real experts on playing tricks
with DOS memory.

Keith

-
Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
2180 Fortune Dr, San Jose, California 95131      Net:   keith@novell.COM

saddison@ca.excelan.com (Skip Addison) (03/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1991 02:32:32 GMT

In article <1991Feb26.075931.16224@agate.berkeley.edu> jeffw@scam.Berkeley.EDU (Jeff Wallace) writes:

>I'm planning to develop a Netware 386 specific application.
>I would like to be able to use a 32-bit compiler (Zortech 386)
>for the application, but I'm not sure that I can.  According to
>Novell they only support 32-bit NLMs, not DOS client-side
>32-bit programs.  ...

Whether or not NetWare is involved, you need a DOS-extender product such as
the one from Phar-Lap.  There are a couple other companies that provide
similar extenders, but I'm not at all familiar with them.  Sorry, but I don't
have the number for Phar-Lap.  I suspect they advertise in Computer Language
Magazine or other such programming journals.

Actually, Zortech might be able to suggest something or include something with
the package.  I think MetaWare does include a DOS extender with their 32-bit
compiler.

-- Skip

trier@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu (Stephen C. Trier) (03/06/91)

I can confirm that the Phar Lap extender works on NetWare client systems,
althought neither Phar Lap nor Novell supports it.  We've got Mathematica
386 (a 3 Meg+ protected-mode program) available on our software server.
It uses Phar Lap's 386|DOS Extender, and it appears to work with no
problems.

The only caveat is that the overlays page a little slowly, but it's not
too bad since we have it configured to do data paging to the local hard
disk.

Not all DOS extenders will work; the differences may be on an application-
by-application basis.  For example, Turbo Debugger 2.0's 386 debugger will
_not_ work when I am using NetWare.  (The 286 debugger works fine!)

--
Stephen Trier                              Case Western Reserve University
Work: trier@cwlim.ins.cwru.edu             Information Network Services