[comp.sys.novell] TCP/IP packets through Novell 386 Server

hans@taeva.UUCP (Hans von Kleist-Retzow) (02/08/91)

We have a novell 386 server installed which connects two ethernet
segments. One ethernet segment is connected with a cisco gateway
to the Internet.

All the PCs on the segment connected to the cisco can either send
TCP/IP packets (with telnet,  ftp, ...) or can use the Novell
server. But the PCs connected to the second segment are not able
to send TCP/IP packets. The TCP/IP packets are not forwarded
from the Novell server.

Is there a possibility to allow all the PCs in the second segment
to use TCP/IP?

Thanks,
Hans

leo@unipalm.uucp (E.J. Leoni-Smith) (02/12/91)

This must be the most queried point: Answer =

	NOVELL SERVERS ONLY ROUTE IPX - NOT TCP/IP

	USE AN IP ROUTER TO CONNECT THE TWO LIMBS!

will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (William Sadler) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb11.184423.16229@unipalm.uucp> leo@unipalm.uucp (E.J. Leoni-Smith) writes:

>This must be the most queried point: Answer =
>

>	NOVELL SERVERS ONLY ROUTE IPX - NOT TCP/IP
>
>	USE AN IP ROUTER TO CONNECT THE TWO LIMBS!

Or use ipxpkt.com available from clarkson in the drivers.zip
file containing all of the ver. 8 packet drivers.  After reading
the docs this seems to allow IP encapsulation in IPX packets.
Someone correct me on this if I am wrong.

Will

*   _______________\|/_      Will Sadler     will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu   *
*   Laser 44888    /|\                       sadler@iubacs.bitnet         *

) (02/13/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 1991 18:15:25 GMT

In article <1991Feb11.184423.16229@unipalm.uucp> leo@unipalm.uucp (E.J. Leoni-Smith) writes:

>This must be the most queried point: Answer =
>

>	NOVELL SERVERS ONLY ROUTE IPX - NOT TCP/IP
>
>	USE AN IP ROUTER TO CONNECT THE TWO LIMBS!

	Netware 3.11 now routes IP. There is also NFS Support as well
as a whole host of additions and improvements. See the latest press release.

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (02/13/91)

In article <1233@taeva.UUCP> hans@triumph-adler.de (Hans von Kleist-Retzow) writes:
>We have a novell 386 server installed which connects two ethernet
>segments. One ethernet segment is connected with a cisco gateway
>to the Internet.
>
>All the PCs on the segment connected to the cisco can either send
>TCP/IP packets (with telnet,  ftp, ...) or can use the Novell
>server. But the PCs connected to the second segment are not able
>to send TCP/IP packets. The TCP/IP packets are not forwarded
>from the Novell server.
>
>Is there a possibility to allow all the PCs in the second segment
>to use TCP/IP?

How do you have your NICs configured in the server?  Do you bind the
TCP  protocol stack to the NIC for the first segment?  Is there a
TCP protocol stack available for NW386?  Do you use a shell driver
for those workstations connected to the cisco router that allows them
to use TCP/IP?

Ken Haynes, Certified Netware Engineer
Technical Support Product Mgr.
900 Support

george@na.excelan.com (George Powers) (02/16/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 1991 19:41:22 GMT

> We have a novell 386 server installed which connects two ethernet
> segments. One ethernet segment is connected with a cisco gateway
> to the Internet.
>
> All the PCs on the segment connected to the cisco can either send
> TCP/IP packets (with telnet,  ftp, ...) or can use the Novell
> server. But the PCs connected to the second segment are not able
> to send TCP/IP packets. The TCP/IP packets are not forwarded
> from the Novell server.
>
> Is there a possibility to allow all the PCs in the second segment
> to use TCP/IP?

NetWare V3.11, available in March, includes an IP router which will
solve this problem.  No doubt other postings describe this product
fully, so I'll leave it at that.

--
UUCP: {ames,sun,apple,mtxinu,cae780,sco}!novell!george  George Powers
Internet: george@novell.com

brian@la.excelan.com (Brian Meek) (02/17/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 1991 15:23:15 GMT

In article <1233@taeva.UUCP> hans@triumph-adler.de (Hans von Kleist-Retzow) writes:
>We have a novell 386 server installed which connects two ethernet
>segments. One ethernet segment is connected with a cisco gateway
>to the Internet.
>
>All the PCs on the segment connected to the cisco can either send
>TCP/IP packets (with telnet,  ftp, ...) or can use the Novell
>server. But the PCs connected to the second segment are not able
>to send TCP/IP packets. The TCP/IP packets are not forwarded
>from the Novell server.
>
>Is there a possibility to allow all the PCs in the second segment
>to use TCP/IP?
>
>Thanks,
>Hans

IP routing is one of the features provided by the TCP/IP NLM that
is (will be) bundled with NetWare v3.11.  It can forward IP packets
across multiple Ethernet, Token-Ring and ARCnet LAN segments attached
to the server.  The IP routing feature need not be enabled.  If enabled,
it can use RIP, be configured statically at load time, be configured
interactively via SNMP -- or all of the above.

brian
         Brian Meek       Novell, Inc. - 2180 Fortune Dr. San Jose, CA 95131
Internet Mail: brian@novell.COM                        Phone: (408) 473-8375

mns@Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Slavitch) (03/05/91)

Someone posted a hurrysome response vis-a-vis TCP/IP over a Novell
server. Usually, hurrysome answers are wrong. Here's the correction.

2.15 can only handle IPX packets, but under NetWare386, the ODLI (Open
Data Link Interface),  Novell can handle frames containing IPX and AFP
(Apple) protocols. The ODLI is a protocol-indepenent architecture.
That means that you'll be able to talk in any lingo you want if
someone has built a protocol handler for it.

Soon, there will be a facility to carry TCP/IP if the envelope used on
the medium includes a protocol ID field.  This includes everything but
IEEE 802.3, (Ethernet II is the top choice of Novell and IP LANS, so
this is a moot point).

If you want anything more specific, then it will cost you $10K and
require you to spend a wonderful three days in Provo, Utah.

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) (03/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1991 21:27:04 GMT

In article <1991Mar5.024114.23584@Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca> mns@Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Slavitch) writes:
>Soon, there will be a facility to carry TCP/IP if the envelope used on
>the medium includes a protocol ID field.

Just to fill in the details, the IP routing support is in NetWare v3.11. We can
route IP between Ethernet, Token Ring and Arcnet. We also support subnet
routing. The Appletalk stack also supports AT routing between various
interfaces including Ethernet and Token Ring. I understand support for the
Farralon PC LocalTalk boards is also on the list of todos for AT.

> This includes everything but
>IEEE 802.3, (Ethernet II is the top choice of Novell and IP LANS, so
>this is a moot point).

Actually, the ODI does support "raw" IEEE 802.3 encapsulation for IPX.
None of the other protocols we now support in NetWare v3.11 use it though
(unless you count the 802.2 support that's internal to the ODI). Or TCP/IP
protocols can run over Ethernet II or Ethernet SNAP encapsulations on
Ethernet networks, but as Michael points out, IP is normally to be found
using Ethernet II encapsulation on tha vast majority of Ethernets today
(Etype field = 0x0800).

>If you want anything more specific, then it will cost you $10K and
>require you to spend a wonderful three days in Provo, Utah.

You had a wonderful time in Provo? Damn.... I must have been going to the
wrong Provo! Are there two? :-)

Keith
-
Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
2180 Fortune Dr, San Jose, California 95131      Net:   keith@novell.COM