The News Manager)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1991 18:12:30 GMT

In article <CMM.0.90.2.668179122.similler@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> similler@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen I Miller) writes:
>Is there a simple way to transfer files from a Netware 286 2.15c
>server to an IBM AS/400?  Also, is there a way for people attached to
>an AS/400 (using PS/2s) to access a Netware 286 2.15c server.  The
>Netware server and the AS/400 can be connected via ethernet, but that
>has not been done yet, since we don't know if it will do any good.

I wrote a paper on connecting your AS/400 to a NetWare LAN.  We don't have
public FTP access here (that I know of), so your best bet is to either call
800-221-6402 and ask for "How to connect your AS/400 to your NetWare LAN" or
to download it from the NOVA forum on CI$ (DL16 or 9/AS4CON.TXT, see also
TWEAKS.TXT).

File transfer is pretty simple if the file transfer is initiated by someone on
the LAN, especially if that someone is computer-literate.  Almost any method
of AS/400 connection will work.

You didn't say how the PS/2 users on the AS/400 were connected to the AS/400,
except to say that they weren't on ethernet.  If they're on TR, it's
certainly possible to give them access to a NetWare server.  If they're
connected via twinax or SDLC, no can do.

I'd avoid putting ethernet on your AS/400 for now.  It's still pretty new
technology and the few people who I know have tried had to jump through a
few hurdles to get it to work.

If people are interested, I can post the papers we have on the subject.

-- Skip

toddc@.TV.TEK.COM (Todd Carlson) (03/07/91)

>Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1991 18:12:30 GMT
>
>>Is there a simple way to transfer files from a Netware 286 2.15c
>>server to an IBM AS/400?  Also, is there a way for people attached to
>>an AS/400 (using PS/2s) to access a Netware 286 2.15c server.  The
>
>I wrote a paper on connecting your AS/400 to a NetWare LAN.
> ..............<STUFF DELETED>
>If people are interested, I can post the papers we have on the subject.
>
>-- Skip

                Yes, please post the information!

					Todd

Todd Carlson                      |      "Soon the Gypsie Queen,
toddc@amati.TV.TEK.COM            |       in a glaze of Vaseline,
Computer Resources Coordinator    |       will perform on guillotine.
TV Division, Tektronix Inc.       |       What a scene, what a scene."