[comp.sys.novell] connecting distant Novell LANs

scott@skypod.uucp (Scott Campbell) (03/03/91)

I have recently been put in charge of a small Novell net (having no
previous experience with them but this is the best way to learn, right?)

Our head office has a similar LAN (Netware 2.15 I think) in Ottawa.  Right
now we have a low-speed X.25 link connecting the two servers.  Is it
possible to connect the LANs with high speed modems that would dial-up
on an as-needed basis (the amount of traffic between the two systems is
relatively low, but when it needs to go, it needs to go.)

Also, could I use the same modem at my end to dial up a unix site to
receive uucp mail?  (I have a unix site at home that I would like to use to
feed news/mail in the novell system).

I was thinking of getting a couple of V32 modems (and maybe one for the
Montreal office as well) and using them as I mentioned above.  Could the
modems be used for dial-in usage when not being used for any of the above?

There are some ps/2's lying around that could be used as dedicated modem
servers if necessary... (they are running the x25 link right now)

scott
--
Scott J.M. Campbell                                        scott@skypod.uucp
Skypod Communications Inc.                      ..!uunet!scocan!skypod!scott

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar3.124359.20310@skypod.uucp> scott@skypod.uucp (Scott Campbell) writes:
>I have recently been put in charge of a small Novell net (having no
>previous experience with them but this is the best way to learn, right?)
>
>Our head office has a similar LAN (Netware 2.15 I think) in Ottawa.  Right
>now we have a low-speed X.25 link connecting the two servers.  Is it
>possible to connect the LANs with high speed modems that would dial-up
>on an as-needed basis (the amount of traffic between the two systems is
>relatively low, but when it needs to go, it needs to go.)

Absolutely.  A PC with Carbon Copy, or PC ANYWHERE or REMOTE2PC or some such
program would allow you to dial in and xfer files between systems.

>Also, could I use the same modem at my end to dial up a unix site to
>receive uucp mail?  (I have a unix site at home that I would like to use to
>feed news/mail in the novell system).

You should be able to.  We are currently investigating how to get a feed to
our Novell LAN.  The real question is does DOS offer a uucp connection
program with readnews and mail?  I have found some, but there are not alot.
I'm at home now, or I'd give you the names of those I've found.  I can
tell you the names if you call me at (503)684-2826.

>I was thinking of getting a couple of V32 modems (and maybe one for the
>Montreal office as well) and using them as I mentioned above.  Could the
>modems be used for dial-in usage when not being used for any of the above?

The dial in usage could be accomplished via the remote control program, as
mentioned above.

>There are some ps/2's lying around that could be used as dedicated modem
>servers if necessary... (they are running the x25 link right now)

BTW Novell has an X.25 interface to link the two LANS together.   Is that what
you are currently running?  Why do you want to switch? $$$?

* Ken Haynes, CNE                    | 1-900-PRO-HELP
* Technical Support Product Manager, 900 Support
* UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook