[comp.sys.novell] what's the end result of buying v3.0

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) (03/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 1991 20:26:02 GMT

In article <kusumoto.667459123@chsun1> kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) writes:

>Ok, I think I know that we're going to get (for free I assume), NW v3.11,
>the 250 user version,

Correct!

> with the 100 user version of the Mac v3.0 NLM.

Also correct.

>  I guess you'd throw in Btreive,

Nope. No Btreive.... We are however including Btrieve :-) Everything you
need to install, configure and run Btrieve binaries is in the base operating
system (including the Btrieve NLMs, the DOS Btrieve requestor and the
new DLL for getting at Btrieve calls from Windows 3.0 apps). If you actually
want to write code to the Btrieve APIs however, you will need a seperate
toolkit that shows you how.

> OS/2 requestor, MHS, NNS

Nope. Still separate. MHS is no longer included with the OS and NetWare
Name Services is standalone product. NNS is not v3.11 specific and can
be used in conjunction with 286 servers.

>  and TCP/IP support is built into the new version.

Yep. My favorite NLMs are bundled into v3.11.

>  Are we getting anything else?  Is some of
>this stuff I mentioned not given for free?

Offhand, I can think of two things worth mentioning. The Remote Management
Facility is in there along with the new backup NLM's (SBACKUP).

>I know that we're not getting NFS NLM for free.  What about the other
>announced stuff?  What aren't we getting so we can try and figure out
>what we have to pay for?

NetWare NFS, NetWare FTAM, NetWare Communication Services, NetWare SQL, er....

Keith
-
Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
2180 Fortune Dr, San Jose, California 95131      Net:   keith@novell.COM

brian@cimage.com (Brian Kelley) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Feb26.202602.17118@novell.com> keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) writes:
>In article <kusumoto.667459123@chsun1> kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) writes:

>>  and TCP/IP support is built into the new version.
>
>Yep. My favorite NLMs are bundled into v3.11.

Favorite NLMs?  Does this mean that the NLM for Netware 3.1 which removed
the console message "Novell In-House version" is included with the new
release?  That would be great!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.  :-)

>Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
>Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
>2180 Fortune Dr, San Jose, California 95131      Net:   keith@novell.COM

---
brian@cimage.com

Jons@cup.portal.com (Jonathan S Spangler) (03/15/91)

>In article <1991Feb26.202602.17118@novell.com> keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Bro
>n) writes:
>>In article <kusumoto.667459123@chsun1> kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusu
>oto) writes:
>
>>>  and TCP/IP support is built into the new version.
>>
>>Yep. My favorite NLMs are bundled into v3.11.
>
>Favorite NLMs?  Does this mean that the NLM for Netware 3.1 which removed
>the console message "Novell In-House version" is included with the new
>release?  That would be great!
>---
>brian@cimage.com

Brian,

I don't think that the patch for the name is an NLM. Rather, it is a
direct patch of SERVER.EX -- a static patch at that.

If the patch *were* an NLM, we could load and unload it at will. This is what
Novell calls a dynamic patch.

Aloha,
Jonathan Spangler (jons@cup.portal.com)