The News Manager)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1991 15:58:51 GMT

> kung@max.u.washington.edu is looking for a "com port server" for NetWare.
> He wants to make a modem publicly sharable.

If you're looking for a single-modem solution, there are several third-party
products which do this.  Modem-Assist from Fresh Technologies (602-497-4210)
is one.  NMP from Network Products (818-441-6504) is another.  There are
others (Sparkle comes to mind), but I don't have company names and/or phone
numbers for them handy.

For multiple modems, Novell sells the NetWare Async Communication Server
(NACS) software and WNIM+ hardware (they go together).  Again, third-parties
have other solutions.  All multi-port solutions require special hardware
to handle the multiple ports.

-- Skip

gallo@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Gallo) (03/15/91)

Two products we've tried (that work) are:

Softerm PC by Softronics - runs on dedicated or non-dedicated
machine, has modules for terminal emulation, pc/comm pkg w/dowload.
Contact Wayne King at 719-593-9540 or (sales) 800-225-8590

Modem Protocall(tm) - shares modems at workstations, runs in
background. Comes for 5, 20 and 99 modems at increase of price.
Contact Kevin Reid, Lan Source Technologies, 416-866-8832.

Both products run on Netware 2.x and 3.x. Good luck. <Chip Gallo>

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar11.202025.1@max.u.washington.edu> kung@max.u.washington.edu writes:

>I am looking for a com port server for novell, and have not had much luck.  We
>running novell netware 2.15 sft, and would like to make the modem publicly
>sharable.  Does anyone have any experience setting up such connection?  we have
>a spare pc on the network which we can use as a communications server.

Try Fresh Technology Corp.  They make MAP ASSIST, LAN ASSIST and other peer to
peer products for Novell systems. They have recently announced a modem assist
product to share modems.

* Ken Haynes, CNE                    | 1-900-PRO-HELP
* Technical Support Product Manager, 900 Support
* UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook