[comp.sys.novell] Novell volume-related problems

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) (03/13/91)

A colleague and I are sysadmins of a Novell Advanced Netware 2.15c
network running on an IBM PS/2 Model 80.  We have been noticing
horrible problems (which are likely bugs) with MAPs and the use of
volume names with CD.

Our server has several volumes (because we have about 900meg of hard
disk space).  Therefore it is necessary for the sysadmins and users to
move around to different volumes to do work.  One way of allowing this
is to MAP a drive letter to each volume, and then switch among the
volumes by saying "Z:" or "X:" at a command prompt.  This is the
method we are currently using, and we don't seem to have any problems
this way.

Another method we tried in the past was to switch to directories on
different volumes by saying "CD VOLA:\FOO\BAR".  Sometimes this
worked; most of the time it did not.  The errors we would get would be
varied, but most involved either not switching to the specified volume
or changing to a like directory on the current volume.  Sometimes our
MAPs would be completely messed up; other times nothing happened.  One
time an instance of a search map was replaced by a map to a local
drive (bizarre!).  To our knowledge, none of the errors we have gotten
are reproducible (and believe me, we have tried our best to reproduce
them!).

I have two questions:

    (a) Is switching between volumes with "CD VOL:" legal in NetWare?
	On one hand, I can see why it would not be legal, given that
	drive letters are used almost everywhere (just like in MS-DOS).
	On the other hand, NetWare could feasibly provide extensions to
	the CD command to allow this sort of thing.

    (b) If switching between volumes with "CD VOL:" is not legal, then
	WHY THE *&^!@#@$ DOES NETWARE ALLOW THIS TO BE DONE?  Is this a
	bug in the CD command, or what?  Other commands (like MAP and
	CHKVOL) allow volume names to be used, although admittedly they
	explictly act on volumes.  If CD is not meant to act on volume
	names, then why doesn't CD report an error if a volume name is
	used?

Another problem we have had with volumes and mapping is that if we are
connected to another server by accident and we use this other server's
LOGIN.EXE to login into our server (i.e. LOGIN MYSERVER/MYLOGIN), the
other LOGIN.EXE seems to "eat" the first directory off of the PC's
path.  This continues to happen until all of the directories in the
path disappear after repeated LOGINs.  It is very annoying!  The other
server is also running 2.15c, although the LOGIN.EXE on that server is
older than the LOGIN.EXE on our server.  Is this a known bug?

Thanks in advance for any help!

					.oO Chris Oo.

Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485     It is not safe out here.  It is wonderous,
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene     with treasures to satiate desires both
   lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu        subtle and gross.  But it is not for the
   uunet!uwvax!uwslh!lishka         timid. -- Q
--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485     It is not safe out here.  It is wonderous,
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene     with treasures to satiate desires both
   lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu        subtle and gross.  But it is not for the
   uunet!uwvax!uwslh!lishka         timid. -- Q

boerner@ut-emx.uucp (Brendan B. Boerner) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar12.230827.6139@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu> lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) writes:
[...]
>Another problem we have had with volumes and mapping is that if we are
>connected to another server by accident and we use this other server's
>LOGIN.EXE to login into our server (i.e. LOGIN MYSERVER/MYLOGIN), the
>other LOGIN.EXE seems to "eat" the first directory off of the PC's
>path.  This continues to happen until all of the directories in the
>path disappear after repeated LOGINs.  It is very annoying!  The other
>server is also running 2.15c, although the LOGIN.EXE on that server is
>older than the LOGIN.EXE on our server.  Is this a known bug?

If you use MAP S1:=whatever instead of MAP INS S1:=whatever, MAP
will eat the path as you describe.  Other than that, I'm not familiar
with bugs in LOGIN.EXE which will do as you describe.  For starters,
I'd make sure that all of your servers have the latest LOGIN.EXE.
A particularily nasty problem to debug will crop up if you have a
LOGIN.EXE which does not support MAP ROOT and you use MAP ROOT in
your login scripts and inadvertently use the old LOGIN.EXE.

Brendan

saddison@ca.excelan.com (Skip Addison) (03/14/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1991 17:50:06 GMT

In article <1991Mar12.230827.6139@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu> lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) writes:
> I have two questions:
>
>    (a) Is switching between volumes with "CD VOL:" legal in NetWare?

No.

>	On one hand, I can see why it would not be legal, given that
>	drive letters are used almost everywhere (just like in MS-DOS).
>	On the other hand, NetWare could feasibly provide extensions to
>	the CD command to allow this sort of thing.

The CD command is an *internal* command of COMMAND.COM.  We don't re-write
or patch COMMAND.COM.  It's part of the DOS command shell.

>    (b) If switching between volumes with "CD VOL:" is not legal, then
>	WHY THE *&^!@#@$ DOES NETWARE ALLOW THIS TO BE DONE?  Is this a
>	bug in the CD command, or what?  Other commands (like MAP and
>	CHKVOL) allow volume names to be used, although admittedly they
>	explictly act on volumes.  If CD is not meant to act on volume
>	names, then why doesn't CD report an error if a volume name is
>	used?

Other commands (eg. MAP & CHKVOL) are "external" commands.  Novell
provides the ".EXE" files to make them happen.

-- Skip Addison
   SAddison@Novell.com

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) (03/16/91)

boerner@ut-emx.uucp (Brendan B. Boerner) writes:
>If you use MAP S1:=whatever instead of MAP INS S1:=whatever, MAP
>will eat the path as you describe.  Other than that, I'm not familiar
>with bugs in LOGIN.EXE which will do as you describe.

No, this is not a problem with "MAP S1: = ..." as opposed to "MAP INS
S1: = ...".  This only happens when I use the LOGIN.EXE from certain
servers.  Plus, only one path from my local path (i.e. the path
*before* logging in) is eaten each time.

>For starters,
>I'd make sure that all of your servers have the latest LOGIN.EXE.
>[...]

This isn't very likely.  The "other" servers I am talking about are
spread across the Univ. of Wisconsin campus.  It would be very hard to
get them to update.  Actually, it would be very nice if we could
"sever" our server from the rest of the campus, but the ethernet which
our server is connected to is being used by both the Novell server and
our VAX and VAXstation (TCP/IP).  Plus, another site connected to our
server is also using the ethernet to the "outside world".  Oh well.