[comp.sys.novell] HP Starlan 10 and 10BaseT

AMillar@cup.portal.com (Alan DI Millar) (03/14/91)

Hi-

    I have recently inherited some HP Starlan 10 equipment, with little
documentation.  I have 2 of the hubs, and a few of the PC cards.  The
hub installation manual says the hubs are compatible with the 10BaseT
drafts, but this is (I think) a year or two old.

    Does anyone have more information on the HP Starlan 10 equipment?  I'm
interested in knowing if this is the same as the older AT&T Starlan
hardware.  I remember reading somewhere that some early 10BaseT equipment
can work with the final standard, if it has the option to disable a
particular feature (link integrity?).  If so, how about this stuff?
Also, anyone know of a packet driver for these cards?

    I apologize for the vagueness of this posting, but I'll appreciate
any help.  Thanks.

- Alan Millar

cmilono@netcom.COM (Carlo Milono) (03/15/91)

In article <40106@cup.portal.com> AMillar@cup.portal.com (Alan DI Millar) writes:
>Hi-
>
>    I have recently inherited some HP Starlan 10 equipment, with little
>documentation. (stuff deleted)
>
>    Does anyone have more information on the HP Starlan 10 equipment?  I'm
>interested in knowing if this is the same as the older AT&T Starlan
>hardware.  I remember reading somewhere that some early 10BaseT equipment
>can work with the final standard, if it has the option to disable a
>particular feature (link integrity?).  If so, how about this stuff?
>Also, anyone know of a packet driver for these cards?

Thank god for standards.  Both H-P, whose Pat Thaler chaired the IEEE,
and AT&T waited until the 10BaseT standard was at least stable before
putting equipment on the market.  Early Synoptics and Cabletron stuff
won't work with anything else at the twisted-pair level...if you got
some, you can interconnect with the AUI port.

Link Integrity was the final draft inclusion, it being the bone of
contention.  I don't believe that H-P put out anything that wouldn't
interoperate with the Draft 9 standard (LI excluded)...and neither
did AT&T...so I am confident you can interconnect those two vendor's
stuff.

If I'm wrong...well, Pat will correct me!

|  Carlo Milono:  cmilono@netcom.apple.com   or   apple!netcom!cmilono     |
|"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,  |
|that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."   - Jonathan Swift   |

kumarr@hparc0.HP.COM (Kumar Rangan) (03/16/91)

/ hparc0:comp.sys.novell / AMillar@cup.portal.com (Alan DI Millar) /  4:26 am  Mar 14, 1991 /

>    I have recently inherited some HP Starlan 10 equipment, with little
>documentation.  I have 2 of the hubs, and a few of the PC cards.  The
>hub installation manual says the hubs are compatible with the 10BaseT
>drafts, but this is (I think) a year or two old.

>    Does anyone have more information on the HP Starlan 10 equipment?  I'm
>- Alan Millar
U should get a better response if you post this in comp.sys.hp
-kumar