[comp.sys.novell] How to break NW 2.15c security

todd@Quotron.COM (Todd Booth) (03/14/91)

One of our NetWare supervisors left with the only password
and we can't get to all our files.

Can someone point me to a vendor or ftp site carrying software
to break the Novell security.

thanks, --todd
--
todd (booth)

todd@quotron.com 213 302-4368

kji@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ken Isacson) (03/16/91)

In article <todd.668890488@premises1.Quotron.COM> todd@Quotron.COM (Todd Booth) writes:
>One of our NetWare supervisors left with the only password
>and we can't get to all our files.
>
>Can someone point me to a vendor or ftp site carrying software
>to break the Novell security.

Todd - I was informed if you contact a NOVELL certified technician, they
can go in with a HEX disk editor, and fix this up for you.

Contact NOVELL on who to call in your area.

Ken Isacson         Sysop - Board Of Trade BBS  GT 016/001
kji@vpnet.chi.il.us         (815) 753 - 0042

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar16.022726.3852@vpnet.chi.il.us>, kji@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ken Isacson) writes:
> In article <todd.668890488@premises1.Quotron.COM> todd@Quotron.COM (Todd Booth) writes:
>>One of our NetWare supervisors left with the only password
>>and we can't get to all our files.
>>
>>Can someone point me to a vendor or ftp site carrying software
>>to break the Novell security.
>>

> Todd - I was informed if you contact a NOVELL certified technician, they
> can go in with a HEX disk editor, and fix this up for you.
>
> Contact NOVELL on who to call in your area.

Or if you are brave enough you can do it yourself with disked. Simply rename
the bindery file in the first fat (its in the first 100 or so sectors of the
disk usually) and when you bring the server back up, it will complain that its
fat entries are inconsistent. This is ok since it takes the first as gospel and
mathes the other(s) to it, and creates a new virgin bindery with an unpassword
protected supervisor account.

It does work, I've done it twice so far, last year on an ANW 2.15A server.

|  Hamish Marson   <hamish@waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
|  Computer Support Person,  Computer Science Department                     |
|  University of Waikato                                                     |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |