[comp.sys.novell] Steps to switch Novell token-ring net from 4->16Mbps?

lau@desci.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) (03/14/91)

We have a network of IBM PS/2 Model 70s and a Model 80 as a server
running Novell software 286 V2.15 C.  It is running on a token-ring
at 4 Mbps.  I'm a beginner at this Novell stuff but one of my tasks
is to get it running at 16 Mbps.  I tried using the Reference disks
and setting all the machines to 16 Mbps but the software was flakey
after that.  There were noticeable delays after commands are issued.
Sometimes, I'd get an network error: Error sending on network.
Abort, Retry?  Sometimes the retry works, sometimes it doesn't.
I figured I must be doing something wrong so I reset everything back
to 4 Mbps and decided to ask you all about it.  What do I need to do
to get this token-ring running at 16 Mbps with Novell?  I've been
looking through the manuals but I haven't found any mention of this.
Suggestions??  This is probably an easy question but we've all got to
start somewhere.  Thanks much.

Yan.
--
   )~  Yan K. Lau    lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu      The Wharton School
 ~/~   Sheenaphile           128.91.11.233       University of Pennsylvania

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (03/14/91)

In article <39102@netnews.upenn.edu> lau@desci.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) writes:
>We have a network of IBM PS/2 Model 70s and a Model 80 as a server
>running Novell software 286 V2.15 C.  It is running on a token-ring
>at 4 Mbps.  I'm a beginner at this Novell stuff but one of my tasks
>is to get it running at 16 Mbps.  I tried using the Reference disks
>and setting all the machines to 16 Mbps but the software was flakey
>after that.  There were noticeable delays after commands are issued.
>Sometimes, I'd get an network error: Error sending on network.
>Abort, Retry?  Sometimes the retry works, sometimes it doesn't.
>I figured I must be doing something wrong so I reset everything back
>to 4 Mbps and decided to ask you all about it.  What do I need to do
>to get this token-ring running at 16 Mbps with Novell?  I've been
>looking through the manuals but I haven't found any mention of this.
>Suggestions??  This is probably an easy question but we've all got to
>start somewhere.  Thanks much.

   Can't imagine why Novell would care about 4 or 16
   mbit....there MIGHT be some timers (low level) which are
   being set wrong..but would expect these to be more trouble at
   4 than 16.

   Any way you can beg, borrow, or steal a Lanalyzer....just as
   a wild guess, you might just be seeing a lot of MAC level
   errors on the medium as a result of the speed change.  If you
   have a station on the ring set up as the Ring Error Monitor,
   look for an increase in Isolating and Non-Isolating errors
   when you increase the speed.

   Are you running UTP (Type 3 in Token Ring terms) or Type 1 or
   what?   Any idea what your adjusted ring length is?

   How long are the lobe (drop) cables?  And what type are they?

   How long are the trunk (Ring In/Ring Out) cables, (total
   length) and what type are they?

jack@cscdec.cs.com (Jack Hudler) (03/14/91)

In article <39102@netnews.upenn.edu> lau@desci.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) writes:
>to 4 Mbps and decided to ask you all about it.  What do I need to do
>to get this token-ring running at 16 Mbps with Novell?  I've been

You didn't say what type of cable is used in your ring. I should be
Type 1 through out and atleast Type 6 for station patch cable.

--
Jack           Computer Support Corporation             Dallas,Texas
Hudler         Internet: jack@cscdec.cs.com

kji@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ken Isacson) (03/16/91)

First of all, you need 16mbs token ring network cards. ;-)

Ken Isacson         Sysop - Board Of Trade BBS  GT 016/001
kji@vpnet.chi.il.us         (815) 753 - 0042

tuttle@well.sf.ca.us (Michael Van Norman) (03/19/91)

IBM has a demo where they do the reconfig on the fly.  One minute your LAN is
going 4Mbps and the next it is going 16Mbps!  The IBMer giving the demo
said that one of their techs reverse engineered the PS/2 setup disk and wrote
code that does the reconfig dynamically.  Only problem is all cards have to
do
it at once :)