[comp.sys.novell] How does one share applications?

klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (03/05/91)

Can someone give a clue as to how to set the semaphores on Advanced Netware
286 v2.15 so that I can place applications programs on the server and then
limit the number of simultaneous application program users to the number of
licenses we own?  I can examine the semaphores with FCONSOLE but I can't find
any references as to how to set them.

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (03/07/91)

In article <3575.27d27ebe@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>Can someone give a clue as to how to set the semaphores on Advanced Netware
>286 v2.15 so that I can place applications programs on the server and then
>limit the number of simultaneous application program users to the number of
>licenses we own?  I can examine the semaphores with FCONSOLE but I can't find
>any references as to how to set them.

Semaphores are set via an API call in a program segment.  Obtain the developers
kit to get the full Novell support, or get Scott McCann's book on Netware for
programmers (M&T Books).  There are several programs available that will
limit the number of users using an applications program SITELOCK from
Brightwork development is one.

* Ken Haynes, CNE                    | 1-900-PRO-HELP
* Technical Support Product Manager, 900 Support
* UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook

Rick_Vandenberg@mindlink.UUCP (Rick Vandenberg) (03/09/91)

> klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <3575.27d27ebe@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com>
>
> Can someone give a clue as to how to set the semaphores on Advanced Netware
> 286 v2.15 so that I can place applications programs on the server and then
> limit the number of simultaneous application program users to the number of
> licenses we own?  I can examine the semaphores with FCONSOLE but I can't find
> any references as to how to set them.

There is a shareware program called XMETER that lets you do just this. I know
it can be found on Compuserve, probably on the net also.

--
Rick Vandenberg                Rick_Vandenberg@Mindlink.UUCP
Vandenberg Systems Research

rick@wet.UUCP (Rick Rutledge) (03/09/91)

klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>Can someone give a clue as to how to set the semaphores on Advanced Netware
>286 v2.15 so that I can place applications programs on the server and then
>limit the number of simultaneous application program users to the number of
>licenses we own?  I can examine the semaphores with FCONSOLE but I can't find
>any references as to how to set them.

There are commercial wares to do this.  One on which I just recently
received literature is called "Site Watch" or "Site Gard".  I'll try to
remember to post specifics on Monday.

Rick Rutledge        {hoptoad|ucsfcca|claris}!wet!rick            rick@wet.UUCP
Since wars begin in the minds of men, it is in the minds of men that the
defences of peace must be constructed. (Preamble to the constitution of UNESCO)

saddison@ca.excelan.com (Skip Addison) (03/09/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1991 14:48:23 GMT

In article <1991Mar7.143558.7169@techbook.com> kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) writes:
>get Scott McCann's book on Netware for programmers (M&T Books).

That's _John_ McCann.  FYI.

-- Skip

klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (03/20/91)

In article <2191@wet.UUCP>, rick@wet.UUCP (Rick Rutledge) writes:
> klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>>Can someone give a clue as to how to set the semaphores on Advanced Netware
>>286 v2.15 so that I can place applications programs on the server and then
>>limit the number of simultaneous application program users to the number of
>>licenses we own?  I can examine the semaphores with FCONSOLE but I can't find
>>any references as to how to set them.
>
> There are commercial wares to do this.  One on which I just recently
> received literature is called "Site Watch" or "Site Gard".  I'll try to
> remember to post specifics on Monday.
	A caveat with Site Lock is that it does not work with OS/2
	programs.