[comp.sys.novell] C libraries inconsistent! Help!

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (03/19/91)

Help!
 I have come across a problem in the netware C interface (ithink its version
1.1) in that the section on Service Advertising Protocol appears to be
completely up said creek without a brain!

In the overview Chapter 12 it lists 4 functions  SAPAdvertiseESR(),SAPWaitESR(),
StartSAP(), StopSAP().

In the Netware C Interface - DOS manual Volume II it lists only 2 functions,
neither of which are in the overview. They are AdvertiseService() and
QueryServices().

The sap.h file in the includes lists a number of functions, none of which match
with either of the manuals.

So! What has happened here? The readme file on the disks lists only a few
corrections for the Volumes I & II manuals, none for the overview, and they
still don't agree in any sort of way. Has anybody used the SAP services under
DOS in C? Can anyone help? I need it badly and fast!

|  Hamish Marson   <hamish@waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
|  Computer Support Person,  Computer Science Department                     |
|  University of Waikato                                                     |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |

jims@svcs1.UUCP (Jim Serwer) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar19.100418.3160@waikato.ac.nz> hamish@waikato.ac.nz writes:

    stuff deleted
>In the overview Chapter 12 it lists 4 functions  SAPAdvertiseESR(),SAPWaitESR(),
>StartSAP(), StopSAP().
>
>In the Netware C Interface - DOS manual Volume II it lists only 2 functions,
>neither of which are in the overview. They are AdvertiseService() and
>QueryServices().
     et cetera

>--
>|  Hamish Marson   <hamish@waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
>|  University of Waikato                                                     |

You can figure out which functions exist by looking at the provided
source or doing a small test and see what the Linker says about
Undefines.

Read Chapter 14 of "NetWare Programmer's Guide" by Ralph Davis,
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-57014-9.  He says that there are bugs
in AdvertiseService() and QueryServices() and gives corrected
listings.  He never mentions the functions of the overview.

I have not yet worked with SAP and cannot give you more detailed
help.  It was my experience in another area where Davis published
bug fixes that his fixes were necessary but there were still
additional bugs to be found.

Jim Serwer
408-296-4763
jims%svcs1@mips.com  or  ..!uunet!mips!svcs1!jims