[comp.sys.novell] Upgrade problem

salter@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (John E Salter) (03/20/91)

I have a problem upgrading from Netware v2.15a to Netware 386 v3.1
using the transfer method.  The installation and transfer of files
worked OK.   However, when I try to login to the new server I get the message:

SERVER2/JOHN: Unknown error returned by attach.  (89fb)
You are attached to server SERVER2.

No, I have not updated my workstation shell software.  How important
is it that I do?  I am using the packet driver on all workstations on the
LAN.   I can login as the supervisor on the new SERVER and create
new users and login.  But, I can not login as a user created on the old
server.  I prefer not to update the shells of the workstations if at all possibl
e.
Thanks for any help with my problem.

sylvia@chopin.udel.edu (Sylvia M Berta) (03/21/91)

RE: your upgrade problem with established logins, it is my understanding
that is the one thing that doesn't transfer!  at least the passwords
don't.  I would certainly like to hear more about this, as we will be
moving from 2.15c to 3.11 as soon as we acquire another server.  And
after that, there are several more locations on campus I will need to
upgrade.  One of the reasons (as I heard it) was that the bindery files
were changed from 2 to 3.  As I said, any hints, help, etc. would be
appreciated.  Thanks in advance  ...  Syl

saddison@ca.excelan.com (Skip Addison) (03/22/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1991 16:26:07 GMT

In article <1991Mar20.021719.27003@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> salter@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (John E Salter) writes:
>I have a problem upgrading from Netware v2.15a to Netware 386 v3.1
>using the transfer method.  The installation and transfer of files
>worked OK.   However, when I try to login to the new server I get the message:
>
>SERVER2/JOHN: Unknown error returned by attach.  (89fb)
>You are attached to server SERVER2.
>
>No, I have not updated my workstation shell software.  How important
>is it that I do?  I am using the packet driver on all workstations on the
>LAN.

The old shells will still work.  You need to "SET ALLOW UNENCRYPTED
PASSWORDS = ON" before you can login with the old shell, however.

You DO need to use the new LOGIN, ATTACH, etc programs.  I suspect that
this is the problem.

across the upgrade process, you certainly can.  You must use the UPGRADE
program as documented, however, since the bindery file format does change.
A simple backup and restore won't cut it.  The bindery should be restored
before the rest of the data to preserve the most amount of information.

Note that there are significant differences between NetWare 3.11 security
and NetWare 2.1x security.

-- Skip
   saddison@novell.com

johnv@coplex.uucp (John Vaccaro) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar21.162607.6536@novell.com> saddison@ca.excelan.com (Skip Addison) writes:

>In article <1991Mar20.021719.27003@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> salter@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (John E Salter) writes:
>>I have a problem upgrading from Netware v2.15a to Netware 386 v3.1
>>using the transfer method.  The installation and transfer of files
>>worked OK.   However, when I try to login to the new server I get the message:
>>
>>SERVER2/JOHN: Unknown error returned by attach.  (89fb)
>>You are attached to server SERVER2.

>The old shells will still work.  You need to "SET ALLOW UNENCRYPTED
>PASSWORDS = ON" before you can login with the old shell, however.
>
>You DO need to use the new LOGIN, ATTACH, etc programs.  I suspect that
>this is the problem.

You should also be aware that passwords DO NOT transfer using UPGRADE.  This
drove us absolutly nuts till our VAR tracked in down in the documentation;-(
You will have to REMOVE all passwords on you newly "upgraded" NW 386 and re
install them through your NEW syscon.  I removed passwords by going down the
user list in syscon, picking "change password" option for each user and enter-
ing an Enter keystroke as the new password.  Hope this helps out....

--
|"...Some see things as they are and ask WHY? | John Vaccaro                 |