[comp.sys.novell] NFS Support in NetWare

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb21.234900.11916@novell.com> keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) writes:
>NetWare doesn't carry with it all the additional baggage that
>makes UNIX such a great interactive OS. NetWare does no swapping and
>paging to disk, it does not have to set up and tear down virtual
>machine environments for service processes, no unnecessary internal
>buffer copies are required to copy data between user and kernel space
>(Everything is kernel space in in NetWare OSs, consequently NetWare NFS
>transmits data directly from the disk cache to the network on client
>reads and shifts data directly from LSL (network) buffers to the disk
>cache on writes)

While I am willing to suspend my disbelief (until I try it) that a
Netware NFS server might be superior to a UNIX NFS server, a lot of what
you say is a red herring.

Now, attempting to compare oranges to tangelos, if you've got a UNIX machine
dedicated as NFS server (the analog of a Novell file server--remember, one
of these is not going to run 123 at the same time), mostly running nfsd
processes, there's no swapping or paging involved, except to handle whatever
extraneous non-NFS activity there might be (and this presumably would be
controlled by the sysmgr.)  Nfsd processes have their own context but run
in the kernel's address space.  In other words, "everything is in kernel
space" on a UNIX NFS server, too.  That is, one which is based on the Sun
reference kernel implementation (read: almost every single one.)

I mean, many of your arguments for the superiority of Novell over UNIX strike
me as more marketspeak than tech speak.  We might as well claim that a UNIX
NFS server is superior to a Novell server because it doesn't have the
"additional baggage" of dealing with DOS and Mac files.  Which might sound
good but the statement is pretty content-free.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (02/28/91)

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>While I am willing to suspend my disbelief (until I try it) that a
>Netware NFS server might be superior to a UNIX NFS server, a lot of what
>you say is a red herring.

There was also an earlier statement to the effect that a Novell server
with the Novell NFS NLM was the 'cheapest' way to get a high-performance
high-capacity NFS server onto your TCP/IP LAN.

It's not only not the cheapest, it's also quite deficient.  How many
Unix people are going to like the filenaming limitations imposed by
the DOS filesystem?  (eight characters, then a dot, then three more;
characters like comma and plus are restricted; etc.)

My challenge was answered privately by e-mail from a Novell person who
said, in effect, laugh at us later if we don't manage to rake in the
bucks on this one.  And also suggesting they're justified in setting the
price high because Unix users have come to expect NFS server capability
as standard issue, but Novell has to charge the money for NFS users because
they don't think standard Netware users should have to subsidize NFS users.

I forgot to mention in my earlier article that SCO, Sun, et al sell an
NFS _client_ along with their _server_.  Is the Novell solution also
going to offer a DOS _client_ NFS package?  I doubt that Novell is in
that business.

I'd suspect a company like Atlantix should be well-positioned to mount a
serious challenge in this area.  Hey Atlantix, would you like some source
code for a Novell-compatible NFS server?

By way of disclaimer, I'd like to point out that my company is not in the
business of providing DOS or Unix network solutions to its customers;
I'm merely an interested user and observer.

-rich

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (03/01/91)

I'm curious:  for a customer who is getting 3.11 Netware from Novell, when
it comes out, what is the additional cost increment to get the NFS NLM?

-rich

billbr@xstor.com (Bill Brothers) (03/01/91)

]
]While I am willing to suspend my disbelief (until I try it) that a
]Netware NFS server might be superior to a UNIX NFS server, a lot of what
]you say is a red herring.
]
]
]I mean, many of your arguments for the superiority of Novell over UNIX strike
]me as more marketspeak than tech speak.  We might as well claim that a UNIX
]NFS server is superior to a Novell server because it doesn't have the
]"additional baggage" of dealing with DOS and Mac files.  Which might sound
>good but the statement is pretty content-free.

I can appreciate your position Steve, but pure benchmarking of systems
provides some pretty amazing results. We see up to 3.5 Mbytes/second
come out of a Novell subsystem. (Granted the wire slows it to a
crawl...) On the UNIX side, we have been able to attain 1.15 Mbytes/sec
through the filesystem. The main reason is that nearly every UNIX
on the market insists on building systems for the least common
denominator. I.e. they are supporting the dumb ST-506 style of
disk interface. Novell has seen fit to provide high-level constructs
for driver writers. This allows us to build requests to the disk
as large as 3-4 Megabytes. Meanwhile UNIX is stuck in the 1-8k
request range. One only needs to look at the performance curves of
drives to see that highest throughputs are attained at requests of
greater than 64K. I don't particularly like the way things are. I
much prefer UNIX to Novell. However, If you are going to pick on
Novell, you should attack the namespace problem and other serious drawbacks.
The performance issue is fairly black and white. :-(

Bill Brothers
Storage Dimensions, Inc.
billbr@xstor.COM

brian@cimage.com (Brian Kelley) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Mar01.050450.17708@xstor.com> billbr@xstor.com (Bill Brothers) writes:
>I can appreciate your position Steve, but pure benchmarking of systems
>provides some pretty amazing results. We see up to 3.5 Mbytes/second
>come out of a Novell subsystem. (Granted the wire slows it to a
>crawl...) On the UNIX side, we have been able to attain 1.15 Mbytes/sec
>through the filesystem. The main reason is that nearly every UNIX
>on the market insists on building systems for the least common
>denominator. I.e. they are supporting the dumb ST-506 style of
>disk interface. Novell has seen fit to provide high-level constructs
>for driver writers. This allows us to build requests to the disk
>as large as 3-4 Megabytes. Meanwhile UNIX is stuck in the 1-8k
>request range.

And what happens to your hard mounted NFS clients when your server goes down,
losing 3-4 megabytes of cached data?

>Bill Brothers
>Storage Dimensions, Inc.
>billbr@xstor.COM

---
brian@cimage.com

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (03/03/91)

In article <6638@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>It's not only not the cheapest, it's also quite deficient.  How many
>Unix people are going to like the filenaming limitations imposed by
>the DOS filesystem?  (eight characters, then a dot, then three more;
>characters like comma and plus are restricted; etc.)

Rich, are you pulling my leg, or does a Novell NFS file server
impose DOS filename restrictions on the NFS client??

Could someone at Novell comment on this?

In the same vein, is this also true for Macintosh naming conventions
when using a Netware server with Appletalk support as an Apple AFP
fileserver?

--

wittmann@erb1.engr.wisc.edu (art wittmann) (03/04/91)

In article <6698@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>In article <6638@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>>It's not only not the cheapest, it's also quite deficient.  How many
>>Unix people are going to like the filenaming limitations imposed by
>>the DOS filesystem?  (eight characters, then a dot, then three more;
>>characters like comma and plus are restricted; etc.)
>
>Rich, are you pulling my leg, or does a Novell NFS file server
>impose DOS filename restrictions on the NFS client??
>
>Could someone at Novell comment on this?
>
>In the same vein, is this also true for Macintosh naming conventions
>when using a Netware server with Appletalk support as an Apple AFP
>fileserver?

Netware 3.x supports the idea of multiple name spaces, so, macs create
files with that adhere to the mac rules, Unix machines create files
that follow the Unix conventions.

I just created a file called: arts_really_long_file_name, the file
created without a problem.

On a DOS system the file appears to be called ARTS_REA,
on a mac the file is: arts_really_long_file_name.

For macs, if the file name exceeds 32 characters, it's just truncated.

The only real problem that I've noticed is translating mac names into
NFS names.  spaces and slashes aren't translated into other characters,
so you may have problems referencing mac files from Unix systems.

Art

Art Wittmann                                  Phone: (608) 263-1748
Network Manager                               Email: wittmann@engr.wisc.edu
Computer Aided Engineering Center                or: wittmann@cae.wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin, Madison

karinc@isc.intel.com (Karin Coffee) (03/05/91)

In article <6648@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>I'm curious:  for a customer who is getting 3.11 Netware from Novell, when
>it comes out, what is the additional cost increment to get the NFS NLM?
>
>-rich

I, too, am getting an automatic update to 3.11 with the Mac.NLM.  According
to the February 18, 1991, issue of _LAN Times_, Netware NFS 1.0 retails for
$4995.  My vendor quoted to me $4,000.

The article about Netware 3.11 and the NLMs finally answered many of the
questions that we have had.

   Karin Coffee				Intel Supercomputer Systems Division
   Network/System Administration	15201 NW Greenbrier Parkway
   The LAN Lords 			Beaverton, OR  97201
   karinc@isc.intel.com 		(503) 629-7693

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) (03/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 1991 21:09:37 GMT

In article <6614@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:

>While I am willing to suspend my disbelief (until I try it) that a
>Netware NFS server might be superior to a UNIX NFS server, a lot of what
>you say is a red herring.

Did I say a NetWare NFS server was *superior* to a UNIX NFS server? I
think not, but obviously if thats the impression I gave you then my
words were at fault. We are considerably different than a UNIX based
NFS server (hows that? :-), and the fact is that our differences from
UNIX based NFS servers, both in the design of NetWare NFS and the
design and operation of the underlying operating system on which we
rely, gives us considerable performance advantages over UNIX based NFS
server software running on a comparable hardware platform. If
"superior"=faster then I'm sure you will be able to go and find
yourself a UNIX based NFS server that is "superior" to NetWare NFS.

How? Well, go to your bank manager and ask him to lend you at least a
hundred thousand dollars, then, install a false floor in your office, a
three phase power supply and a large air conditioning unit. Go to one
of the vendors of dirty great UNIX based NFS serving throbulators and give
them all your remaining money (you may have to hold some back in order to
pay the crane operator to lower the machine into your office through the
window). Then, light the blue touch paper and stand well back.......
OK, so I may be exagerating a little but, to put my original posting back
into context, I was merely having a crack at providing a justification
of our $4995 price tag to someone who'd asked for it. Moving on to your
comments on my market speak.....

>Now, attempting to compare oranges to tangelos, if you've got a UNIX machine
>dedicated as NFS server (the analog of a Novell file server--remember, one
>of these is not going to run 123 at the same time), mostly running nfsd
>processes, there's no swapping or paging involved, except to handle whatever
>extraneous non-NFS activity there might be (and this presumably would be
>controlled by the sysmgr.)

Yes, I know, but still:

Probability of a UNIX based NFS server having to go to the disk sometime
to retrieve swapped or paged data = SOME.
Probability of NetWare NFS having to go to the disk to retrieve swapped
or paged data = NILL.

>  Nfsd processes have their own context but run
>in the kernel's address space.  In other words, "everything is in kernel
>space" on a UNIX NFS server, too.  That is, one which is based on the Sun
>reference kernel implementation (read: almost every single one.)

Yes, I know that too, but being a general purpose OS, UNIX has a great
deal more to worry about when it switches contexts than we do. Simply
put, no provisions were made in NetWare v3.11's scheduling algorithm to
attempt to provide prompt service to a frustrated spreadsheet user
sitting on the end of a tty whos just punched the recalc key after sitting
idle for 30 minutes. All we really care about is network and disk. Actually,
printers are a minor annoyance :-)

I purposely didn't mention some of the other advantages we have in the area
of disk throughput. We could spend a great deal of time debating the
advantages/disadvantages of our Cached FAT/Turbo FAT disk access methods
over the UNIX inode/indirect block access method, but lets do it privately
as I wouldn't want to be the cause of a flurry of "Please unsubscribe me"
messages on this group :-)

>I mean, many of your arguments for the superiority of Novell over UNIX strike
>me as more marketspeak than tech speak.

Please, please don't put words like that into my mouth. You make it sound
like a spend all day sitting at a NetWare v3.11 console because I'm convinced
it will run yacc, awk and lex faster than if I were sat at a UNIX terminal!

>  We might as well claim that a UNIX
>NFS server is superior to a Novell server because it doesn't have the
>"additional baggage" of dealing with DOS and Mac files.

And I could counter this with a "NetWare is a superior NFS server to UNIX
simply because it *CAN* provide fast native file service to MS-DOS and
Macintosh machines concurrently", but this groups in luck.
It's lunchtime.........

Keith
-
Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
2180 Fortune Dr, San Jose, California 95131      Net:   keith@novell.COM

donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) (03/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 1991 17:50:58 GMT

In article <6638@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>It's not only not the cheapest, it's also quite deficient.  How many
>Unix people are going to like the filenaming limitations imposed by
>the DOS filesystem?  (eight characters, then a dot, then three more;
>characters like comma and plus are restricted; etc.)

Your information is incorrect.  Any legal UNIX file name is legal in
Novell's NFS; it does *not* limit itself to legal DOS names.

>I forgot to mention in my earlier article that SCO, Sun, et al sell an
>NFS _client_ along with their _server_.  Is the Novell solution also
>going to offer a DOS _client_ NFS package?  I doubt that Novell is in
>that business.

Novell provides a DOS *NetWare* client with their server.  What would
be the point of also offering a DOS NFS client in the same package?  I
dare say the NetWare client provides much better connectivity with the
NetWare server than an NFS client could.
						don provan
						donp@novell.com

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 1991 21:15:56 GMT

In article <6638@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

>It's not only not the cheapest, it's also quite deficient.  How many
>Unix people are going to like the filenaming limitations imposed by
>the DOS filesystem?  (eight characters, then a dot, then three more;
>characters like comma and plus are restricted; etc.)

My, my. You are well informed! Tell me who your informant is so I can
go hit him with something. Here's an "ls -la" listing of a directory I
mounted in from a NetWare NFS server. The second file on the list I put
there exclusively for your benefit!

total 13444
drwxrwxrwx  2 nobody        512 Feb 28 04:40 .
drwxr-xr-x 15 root         1024 Feb 27 15:39 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 keith    11281200 Jan 30 13:58 10Meg
-rwxr-xr-x  1 keith     1401323 Feb 28 04:37 A very large file with an extremely long name containing spaces and wierd characters just to prove it can be done $%@^*()[]
-rw-rw-rw-  1 keith        2374 Jan 22 11:34 alberty.wkz
-rwxrwxrwx  1 keith        1131 Oct  1 10:19 finance.wkz
-rw-r--r--  1 keith          61 Feb 27 08:05 junk
-rw-r--r--  1 keith           0 Feb 28 04:40 lsoutput
-rwxrwxrwx  1 keith        1218 Jan 15 17:19 plotit
-rwxr-xr-x  1 keith     1076048 Feb 27 08:29 vmunix

>My challenge was answered privately by e-mail from a Novell person who
>said, in effect, laugh at us later if we don't manage to rake in the
>bucks on this one.  And also suggesting they're justified in setting the
>price high because Unix users have come to expect NFS server capability
>as standard issue, but Novell has to charge the money for NFS users because
>they don't think standard Netware users should have to subsidize NFS users.

Care to copy me on this alleged E-Mail? If this is in fact what a Novell
employee told you, I shall make a point of straightening their view of
the world personally!

>I forgot to mention in my earlier article that SCO, Sun, et al sell an
>NFS _client_ along with their _server_.  Is the Novell solution also
>going to offer a DOS _client_ NFS package?  I doubt that Novell is in
>that business.

Wrong again! We already offer a DOS client TCP/IP package. Although we
haven't developed a client NFS piece for it ourselves, we actively refer
customers who need this capability to Beame and Whiteside who have been
kind enough to fill this "hole" for us with a special port of their NFS
client software for DOS (using our underlying transport).

>I'd suspect a company like Atlantix should be well-positioned to mount a
>serious challenge in this area.

And in the finest traditions of the net, I wish them well..... I am reasonably
familiar with the Atlantix offering. I'm having a little trouble with
your reasoning though?

>By way of disclaimer, I'd like to point out that my company is not in the
>business of providing DOS or Unix network solutions to its customers;

Hmmm. This is probably just as well :-)

Keith
-
Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
2180 Fortune Dr, San Jose, California 95131      Net:   keith@novell.COM

keith@ka.excelan.com (Keith Brown) (03/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1991 01:33:01 GMT

In article <1991Mar1.145839.13285@cimage.com> brian@dgsi.UUCP (Brian Kelley) writes:

>And what happens to your hard mounted NFS clients when your server goes down,
>losing 3-4 megabytes of cached data?

This needn't be an issue if you don't want it to be. One of the configuration
parameters of NetWare NFS is "CACHE_WRITE_THROUGH". Setting this parameter
to "on" puts us into "UNIX mode" and we dutifully make sure write operations
to the server hit the magnetic dots before we respond to the request. As you
would expect, this will cost you some performance but we still find that
we're head and shoulders above UNICES on a comparable hardware platform.

However, you will note that it is possible to make the NetWare v3.11
underlying file system rather robust, rather cheaply. Buy yourself a
second hard disk, plug it into your controller and fire up our disk
mirroring capabilities and you just guarded your 3-4 megabytes of
cached data against a disk failure. Splash out on an additional HD
controller, fire up our disk duplexing features and you just protected
your 3-4 megabytes of cached data against a disk or controller failure.
Buy yourself an uninterruptible power supply and load up UPS.NLM and
you just guarded your 3-4 megabytes of cached data against your local
klutz kicking the plug out of the wall. Etc..... NetWare v3.11 does try
to flush it's caches within 3 seconds if it can anyway, so thats still a
little better than your average UNIX system.

I'm uncertain as to which UNICES actually have the ability to disable
cache write through at all? Perhaps it can be done on some by adb(1)ing
the kernel. Anyone care to enlighten me? It still wouldn't buy UNIX based
NFS servers very much though.

Why? Well, someone once told me that UNIX systems have these things
called user processes to be concerned about. If this is indeed the
case, that must mean they are unable to blow open every last byte of
their remaining memory to an enormous disk cache. Hmm... I imagine that
this must severely impact their ability as NFS servers? Could this be
true?? I wonder!

Keith
-

tb@Materna.DE (Torsten Beyer) (03/06/91)

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) writes:
>>  Nfsd processes have their own context but run
>>in the kernel's address space.  In other words, "everything is in kernel
>>space" on a UNIX NFS server, too.  That is, one which is based on the Sun
>>reference kernel implementation (read: almost every single one.)

>Yes, I know that too, but being a general purpose OS, UNIX has a great
>deal more to worry about when it switches contexts than we do. Simply
>put, no provisions were made in NetWare v3.11's scheduling algorithm to
>attempt to provide prompt service to a frustrated spreadsheet user
>sitting on the end of a tty whos just punched the recalc key after sitting

Maybe you are right, BUT in a networked environment usually NFS-Server ONLY
do NFS. That is these NFS-Server do not have to care about any frustrated
whatsoever users. They just answer NFS-calls.

And even if they had to. I have done quiete some NFS testing and
benchmarking and usually the bottleneck in NFS performance was disk
throughput. Nothing but that. Put a slow CPU (read 68020/68030) in a box add
a really fast I/O subsystem and you get a heck of an NFS-Server.

And I realy doubt your 400 NFS-ops/sec numbers. When it comes to writing NFS
gets real slooow. Unless you do tricky things like the Legato ppl, or
violate the NFS protocol you HAVE to do synchronous disk-writes. And that's a
real mess.

>I purposely didn't mention some of the other advantages we have in the area
>of disk throughput. We could spend a great deal of time debating the
>advantages/disadvantages of our Cached FAT/Turbo FAT disk access methods
>over the UNIX inode/indirect block access method, but lets do it privately

Add me to that list :-). Concerning Turbo-whatsoever file acces. Do you
really think this is a problem for a server with enough Memory (= cache)?.
I'm not convinced that this is so important. The amount of blocks you can
read in a given time to me seems to the most important factor.

Don't stop this discussion here as it starts to interest me.....

		ciao
			-Torsten
--
Torsten Beyer                      e-mail : tb@Materna.DE
Dr. Materna GmbH		   VOX    : +49 231 5599 225

alan@curly.Viewlogic.COM (Alan Medsker) (03/07/91)

Re: NFS performance on NetWare 3.x

I've heard that Novell has seen a NetWare 3.x NFS server handle twice the NFS IOPS as a
dedicated SPARCstation (2, I think) can.  I don't know if they did this for the test, but
you can turn off the write-through-to-novoltile-storage requirement for NetWare/NFS if you
like, which significantly speeds things up.

Alan
Alan Medsker                                 Viewlogic Systems, Inc.
Voice: (508) 480-0881                        293 Boston Post Road West
Fax: (508) 480-0882                          Marlboro, MA  01752
Internet: amedsker@Viewlogic.COM
cc:Mail: Alan Medsker at Viewlogic
CI$: 76376,662
BIX: amedsker
2 Meters: WB0SQR
My opinions, of course.  And don't hold me to them.

tb@Materna.DE (Torsten Beyer) (03/07/91)

This starts to get really funny....

keith@ka.excelan.com (Keith Brown) writes:

>I'm uncertain as to which UNICES actually have the ability to disable
>cache write through at all? Perhaps it can be done on some by adb(1)ing
>the kernel. Anyone care to enlighten me? It still wouldn't buy UNIX based
>NFS servers very much though.

Well, to my opinion switching this write-through off means to violate the
protocol. I mean NFS is stateless and when the server says "Allright pal,
your data's here in my hands" tha client has to bs SURE that this is really
the case. Ok, now you come with your mirror disks and all this stuff.. but I
think it's the wrong way to REEINSTALL NFS semantics. Bovell NFS should
behave like ordinary NFS righ away not only after installing lots of junk in
the server...

>Why? Well, someone once told me that UNIX systems have these things
>called user processes to be concerned about. If this is indeed the
>case, that must mean they are unable to blow open every last byte of
>their remaining memory to an enormous disk cache. Hmm... I imagine that
>this must severely impact their ability as NFS servers? Could this be
>true?? I wonder!

Depends. Suns (since SunOS 4.0) for example use all their free memory as
buffer cache. As I pointed out in an earlier message, my experience is that
servers are servers and just do that job. NO spreadsheet users and stuff.
This means that you can get a really large buffer cache (~5 Mb I'd guess on
an 8 Mb Sun server).

			ciao
				-Torsten
--
Torsten Beyer                      e-mail : tb@Materna.DE
Dr. Materna GmbH		   VOX    : +49 231 5599 225
Vosskuhle 37			   FAX    : +49 231 5599 100
D-4600 Dortmund 1,  West Germany

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) (03/07/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1991 07:43:17 GMT

In article <tb.668271346@elwood> tb@Materna.DE (Torsten Beyer) writes:
>Put a slow CPU (read 68020/68030) in a box add
>a really fast I/O subsystem and you get a heck of an NFS-Server.

I couldn't have put it better myself. Thank You!

>And I realy doubt your 400 NFS-ops/sec numbers. When it comes to writing NFS
>gets real slooow. Unless you do tricky things like the Legato ppl, or
>violate the NFS protocol you HAVE to do synchronous disk-writes. And that's a
>real mess.

As I've said, we can optionally violate the NFS protocol and do asynchronous
writes. If you choose to do synchronous writes you do of course lose out
on write performance. In general, I think its fair to say that we owe a
great deal of our performance to the availability of a nice big disk cache.
As for the 400 ops/sec number, check us out. You will only see numbers
like these on high end platforms however. If you don't want to see numbers
like these, there are some good ways of crippling us. First, make sure you've
only got an 8 bit LAN adaptor in the server (such as the NE1000). This nails
us big time! You can imagine the problems caused by having a SparcStation
pounding you with 8K datagrams when you've only got an 8 bit wide bus to
squeeze all that data through. On Ethernet, 8K datagrams are fired out of
Sparcstations in 5 1518 byte packets + 1 968 byte packet (if my memory isn't
failing me) making up the defecit. The packets come a little over a millisecond
apart and getting 'em all into memory in the time given is very hard for
an 8 bit board to do. Lose one of 'em, and you just blew the whole 8K!
If you must use an 8 bit card, we recommend mounting with the "rsize" and
"wsize" options pulling the datagram size down to 4K or less. Secondly,
make sure we don't have much memory to play with. We insist on 5 megabytes
in the manual but you can squeeze us into 4. There goes our nice big disk
cache!

>Add me to that list :-). Concerning Turbo-whatsoever file acces. Do you
>really think this is a problem for a server with enough Memory (= cache)?.

What problem? Turbo file allocation tables are things that NetWare brings
into play when files get very large. A Turbo FAT is an in core map of
wherabouts the pieces of a specific file live on the disk. Access to the
tail end of large files is thus speeded a little as NetWare doesn't have to
chase along the general purpose FAT chain to find where the end bits of the
file are. UNIX on the other hand actually slows down a little when files
get very large. This is because it may have to bring in more indirect
blocks from the disk in order to locate the tail end of a file, the worst
case being triple indirection where UNIX would have to fetch 3 blocks
full of daddr_ts in order to get at the block it was actually trying
to find. If I were to try and list the NetWare OSs advantages over UNIX
in providing NFS file service, this point would probably be right at the
very bottom of the list under the heading "Obscure Ones" :-)

Keith
-

alan@curly.Viewlogic.COM (Alan Medsker) (03/08/91)

In article <6638@spdcc.SPDCC.COM>, rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

|> It's not only not the cheapest, it's also quite deficient.  How many
|> Unix people are going to like the filenaming limitations imposed by
|> the DOS filesystem?  (eight characters, then a dot, then three more;
|> characters like comma and plus are restricted; etc.)

Have you actually seen the NetWare/NFS product, or any of its documentation?  I think
you'll probably find that the file naming limitations are not there if you don't want
them to be (although you may want to stick with them for interoperability purposes).
After all, NetWare allows wierdo Mac file names...

Remember, you are *NOT* dealing with DOS here.  It's NetWare, which has all sorts of
things in its file system that DOS doesn't have (last access date, long file names,
file ownership and protection).  In fact, it's probably better thought of as a superset
of Unix or DOS file systems.

C'mon, let's not trash them (Novell) before we see how it all works.  From what I've
seen, this product will be well worth it in my environment (125 PCs, four NetWare
servers, 100 Unix workstations, a few Macs) to greatly enhance interoperability,
if nothing else.

Alan

Alan Medsker                                 Viewlogic Systems, Inc.
Voice: (508) 480-0881                        293 Boston Post Road West
Fax: (508) 480-0882                          Marlboro, MA  01752
Internet: amedsker@Viewlogic.COM
cc:Mail: Alan Medsker at Viewlogic
CI$: 76376,662
BIX: amedsker
2 Meters: WB0SQR
My opinions, of course.  And don't hold me to them.

tb@Materna.DE (Torsten Beyer) (03/08/91)

Keith,

>As I've said, we can optionally violate the NFS protocol and do asynchronous
>writes. If you choose to do synchronous writes you do of course lose out
>on write performance. In general, I think its fair to say that we owe a
>great deal of our performance to the availability of a nice big disk cache.

Ok, but this big cache can as well be found in UNIX File-Servers (like SUNs).

>As for the 400 ops/sec number, check us out. You will only see numbers
>like these on high end platforms however. If you don't want to see numbers
>like these, there are some good ways of crippling us. First, make sure you've

Don't misunderstand me. Although I'm a UNIX fan, I'm not blind. And I really
see the potential your product has. On the other hand, since I have quite
some NFS experience, I know it's not that easy to really get 400 NFSops out
of a server unless you really know what you're doing. So, I certainly don't
want to see slow numbers out of a Novell-Server. And I'll certainly will
give your product a thorough look and next weeks CeBIT show here in Germany.

Concerning your "violation" of the NFS reads, I really think this problem is
essential. Usually when my NFS server goes down, I know all my data is save
(either in my local cache, or on my server's disk). This is certainly not
the case with asynchronous NFS writes. Don't you think this is a high price
for performance ? And again, a UNIX box would certainly show similar figures
when turining off synchronous writes. So what I'd like to know are
performance numbers with synchronous write and a typical mix (like for
example those generated by this legato nfs testing software).

>chase along the general purpose FAT chain to find where the end bits of the
>file are. UNIX on the other hand actually slows down a little when files
>get very large. This is because it may have to bring in more indirect
>blocks from the disk in order to locate the tail end of a file, the worst
>case being triple indirection where UNIX would have to fetch 3 blocks

Granted, BUT usually files don't get accessed first byte, last byte, second
byte, middle byte. Usually it's more or less in a sequential manner. This
however means, that the overhead for fetching an indirect block to memory
can be neglected, since it's done only one time. Correct me if I'm wrong at
this point, but I seem to remember that these blocks get cached as well.

--
Torsten Beyer                      e-mail : tb@Materna.DE
Dr. Materna GmbH		   VOX    : +49 231 5599 225
Vosskuhle 37			   FAX    : +49 231 5599 100
D-4600 Dortmund 1,  West Germany

saddison@ca.excelan.com (Skip Addison) (03/09/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1991 14:54:30 GMT

In article <tb.668418489@elwood> tb@Materna.DE (Torsten Beyer) writes:
>Granted, BUT usually files don't get accessed first byte, last byte, second
>byte, middle byte. Usually it's more or less in a sequential manner. This

As Unix machines increasingly move into the business world, they're
increasingly running database applications.  Random I/O with seeks all
over the place is the norm for these applications.

-- Skip

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (03/10/91)

From Novell, donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) writes:
>Novell provides a DOS *NetWare* client with their server.  What would
>be the point of also offering a DOS NFS client in the same package?  I
>dare say the NetWare client provides much better connectivity with the
>NetWare server than an NFS client could.

You seem to be in your own little DOS world.  What would be the point?
My friend, interoperability's the point.  If you add an NFS server to
your Netware servers, Unix users can then get access to files stored
on them.  But DOS users are still stuck with accessing only files on
the Novell servers, unless Portable Netware is installed on the Unix
systems.

It's basically half-a-loaf.  On the one hand, you're encouraging
companies to add TCP/IP Unix systems to their Novell networks, and on the
other you're not providing comparable access for DOS users.

But my argument was basically to dramatize the difference in the
functionality/price ratio between the Novell NFS NLM and NFS products
from Unix vendors, which always include an NFS client with the NFS
server.  Novell need not get into this business because NFS client
packages for DOS are available from other vendors.

All of this actually surprises me, because I'm used to running into
high prices in the Unix marketplace.  For the DOS marketplace to offer
higher prices than corresponding Unix products, this is new to me.

I stand corrected on the filenaming argument I posed earlier, and will
have to withhold any technical criticism of the product until I've
seen it, which probably won't be for another 6 months due to the fact
that my company is unlikely to shell out the $4-5 grand until then.

-rich

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (03/10/91)

I think there is a good arguement for having an NFS client for DOS machines
(well at least for the NW server).

Example:

we're going to be picking up a nice little machine known as an Epoch (basically
an NFS server with anywhere between 1 and 1000GB of storage, divided between
hard drives and optical devices).  Since this little baby handles file
archiving to it's optical devices for long term storage for files that are
rarely accessed, it would be really nice to use from our Novell network,
either having a PC do an NFS drive mapping to some directory on it, or
have the server mount a directory from it.

The point I'm making here is that the NFS option needs to be able to mount
a remote NFS drive as a volume on the server or at least having DOS clients
to map an NFS drive to the NFS server.

It sounds like the current NFS NLM sounds good, given enough space for your
NFS clients, but there really needs to be two-way NFS support.

Bob
--
   Bob Kusumoto                               | I just come from the land of
Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu       | the sun/ from a war that must

donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) (03/11/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1991 23:00:16 GMT

In article <6807@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>I wrote:
>>>Is the Novell solution also going to offer a DOS _client_ NFS package?
>
>From Novell, donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) writes:
>>Novell provides a DOS *NetWare* client with their server.  What would
>>be the point of also offering a DOS NFS client in the same package?  I
>>dare say the NetWare client provides much better connectivity with the
>>NetWare server than an NFS client could.
>
>What would be the point?  My friend, interoperability's the point.

Providing interoperability would be a justification for providing a
DOS NFS client as a separate product, but it provides very little
value as a piece of an NFS product built on top of NetWare.

>But DOS users are still stuck with accessing only files on the Novell
>servers, unless Portable Netware is installed on the Unix systems.

But you just told us that all those other NFS systems come with a DOS
NFS, so they're already set.  They *have* to provide DOS NFS to
provide themselves DOS connectivity.  My point was that NetWare
already has better DOS connectivity, so an NFS DOS client would be
redundant for NetWare's NFS product.
						don provan
						donp@novell.com

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) (03/11/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1991 04:32:16 GMT

In article <6807@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>But my argument was basically to dramatize the difference in the
>functionality/price ratio between the Novell NFS NLM and NFS products
>from Unix vendors, which always include an NFS client with the NFS
>server.  Novell need not get into this business because NFS client
>packages for DOS are available from other vendors.

Look, if you want to talk about the networking capabilities that come "free"
with operating systems then *YES* UNIX<->UNIX TCP/IP networking comes
free with many of the better version of UNIX, including NFS client and
server. I know of no version of UNIX that bundles DOS internetworking
capabilities. Sun could throw the PC-NFS executables into SunOS,
but they haven't.

On the other hand, multitudenous DOS/PC networking capabilities are
what come "free" with our operating system. Just as UNIXs typically
don't bundle their DOS interoperability options, we haven't bundled our
UNIX interoperability options. Both Sun and Novell employ people who
need money to pay mortgages. This, I believe, is why the world looks
the way it does. Sorry.....

Keith
-

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1991 04:18:35 GMT

In article <tb.668418489@elwood> tb@Materna.DE (Torsten Beyer) writes:
>Ok, but this big cache can as well be found in UNIX File-Servers (like SUNs).

Actually, you sent me scrambling for my SunOS manuals when you pointed this
one out. I believe you, but I'm having a little trouble finding out anything
about how they implemented it (true dynamic disk cache allocation). Perhaps
you could point me to the right place in the books (Sun ship a small
deciduous forest with SunOS) and/or answer me the following questions:

1) At what point does SunOS say to itself "Hmm.. Nobody appears to be
   interested in using me as a proper UNIX system. Seems all they want me
   for is NFS serving. I guess I'll grab all this memory I've been sitting
   on and stuff it in the disk cache." And

2) What happens when a UNIX based (sorry, SunOS based) NFS server that
   has made this desision is slumbering in it's machine room at 3 O'Clock
   in the morning when I, heavily camoflaged as a 9 track tape drive, sneak
   up to its console and give it a nasty surprise by logging in and firing
   up the biggest make(1) its ever seen in its life?

I know full well what a NetWare v3.11 servers response would be to such
treatment. It would go something like "You want to do what???? Sorry, I
think you have the wrong operating system, I specialise in network services.
Try the UNIX pig next door.  Oh, and turn the light off on your way out."

>Don't misunderstand me. Although I'm a UNIX fan, I'm not blind. And I really
>see the potential your product has. On the other hand, since I have quite
>some NFS experience, I know it's not that easy to really get 400 NFSops out
>of a server unless you really know what you're doing.

This whole NetWare vs. UNIX as an NFS server debate puts me in mind of
an old Python sketch which you may have seen (I am getting therapy
:-).  Its the one where John Cleese walks into a cheese shop to
purchase some cheese, only to find out after considerable negotiation
that the cheese shop doesn't in fact have any. The similarity ends if
you consider NetWare v3.11 as the cheese shop. We have plenty of
cheese. How much would you like? By comparison, UNIX is a supermarket.
It also has cheese but its going to take you alot longer to find it
among all the other goods they stock and it almost certainly won't have
as much. The manager of the supermarket (the UNIX kernel) is also
unlikely to know as much about cheese as the manager of the cheese shop
(NetWare v3.11). Anyway, enough "market speak"......

>And I'll certainly will
>give your product a thorough look and next weeks CeBIT show here in Germany.

And I'll certainly be pleased to show it to you. I'm at the mercy of our
German office regarding the equipment I'll have but hopefully they'll
provide me with something meaty enough to make it impressive. If I arrive
to find two 16Mhz 386SX systems containing 8 bit Western Digi cards and
a stack of diskettes containing a certain "popular" brand of PC UNIX, there
is liable to be blood :-)

>Concerning your "violation" of the NFS reads, I really think this problem is
>essential. Usually when my NFS server goes down, I know all my data is save
>(either in my local cache, or on my server's disk). This is certainly not
>the case with asynchronous NFS writes. Don't you think this is a high price
>for performance?

In my situation, no! I'm not monitoring a nuclear reactor, niether am
I scanning the skies over Iraq looking for incoming scuds. If I was I'd
turn write through back on. I'm comfortable in the knowledge that my
NetWare NFS server is doing its damndest to flush my data to disk every
three seconds if it can. Besides, in my experiance, my client is far
more likely to crash than my server. Then where's all my valuable data?

>(like for example those generated by this legato nfs testing software).

The very software we used (with some limited support for being able to run
nhfsstone across multiple clients added. A single SparcStation isn't nearly
man enough to saturate NetWare NFS running on high end server platforms).
I doubt I'll be allowed to publish results of our internal testing as we
obviously don't want to cheese off any hardware vendors. However, I
expect we'll get benchmarked many times by independent interested parties
so I dare say it doesn't matter.

>Correct me if I'm wrong at
>this point, but I seem to remember that these blocks get cached as well.

Your not wrong, indirect blocks are cached by UNIX like any others. So,
to obtain one useful block of data, you just used 4 blocks out of the disk
cache. I believe we just proved that the UNIX disk cache has the potential
of only being one quarter as effective as NetWare v3.11s. In reality of
course, its effectiveness will be a larger fraction of ours than a quarter
(the cached indirect blocks hold pointers to other disk blocks applications
might decide they need). I can't however think of a situation where
UNIXs disk cache will be more effective than ours.

Oh, to be fair, Turbo FATs obviously use memory too, but it is of course
memory well spent :-)

Keith
-

wittmann@erb1.engr.wisc.edu (art wittmann) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar6.171901@curly.Viewlogic.COM> alan@curly.Viewlogic.COM (Alan Medsker) writes:
>Re: NFS performance on NetWare 3.x
>
>I've heard that Novell has seen a NetWare 3.x NFS server handle twice the NFS IOPS as a
>dedicated SPARCstation (2, I think) can.  I don't know if they did this for the test, but
>you can turn off the write-through-to-novoltile-storage requirement for NetWare/NFS if you
>like, which significantly speeds things up.
>
>Alan
>--

I've been doing some _Purely Unscientific_ benchmarks that I thought I
would share with you.  My tests involve three servers a one client
architecture.  Since there have been so many comments on the relative
performance expectations, I wanted to post my current stats.  I should
mention that these tests involve beta software from Novell, so the
end version may perform better.  Novell Knows about my tests, but has not
helped in performing them.  These results are from a single station test,
I will try to publish multiple station tests in a week or so.

The servers are:
Netware 386 on a 25 Mhz 486 HP EISA machine  (14 Mbytes memory, ESDI DISK )
SUN OS 4.11 on a Sparcstation 1+ 	(16 Mbytes memory, SCSI DISK)
HP-UX 7.0 on an HP 9000/345 (25 Mhz 68030, 16 Mbyte memory, SCSI DISK)

The client in all tests is a sparcstation IPC.

The test involves the reading and writing of a one megabyte file (a copy
of the sun os kernel on my IPC).  All times are in seconds, in the form

best time / worst time / average time

for five iterations of my test.

	     Novell Server 	Sparc 1+		HP 9000/345
NFS to local 1.6 /3.5 /2.0	1.6 /2.4 /1.78		1.6 /2.5 /1.78
NFS to wc    3.1 /3.9 /3.32  	2.7 /3.6 /2.96		2.6 /2.7 /2.66
local to NFS 9.4 /19.8/13.3  	12.3/13.4/12.84		12.2/12.8/12.5
NFS to NFS   7.2 /22.0/14.84 	12.7/14.1/13.24		11.5/13.3/12.06
Total 	     29.0/45.1/36.7  	31.4/34.5/32.44		30.1/33.2/30.96

In the second line, wc is the word count program.  Note that all machines
are real world servers.  No 'tuning' has been done for NFS on any of them.
The novell server has both netware NFS and Netware for Mac loaded.  In
some previous tests, the Novell server actually outperformed the other
architectures.  This was under very light network load.  In that case,
Netware was about 1.5 seconds better than HP and 2 seconds better than
the sparcstation 1+.

These tests were done on an ethernet network with about 8 - 12% standing
bandwidth usage (as measured with a sniffer).

I hope to publish a 3 station and five station test soon.  My feeling is
that multiple station tests will show more variation, and be more indicative
of true performance.  In any event I feel my tests seem to show that
these stations are all in the same ballpark.

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar10.041835.6883@novell.com> keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) writes:
>1) At what point does SunOS say to itself "Hmm.. Nobody appears to be
>   interested in using me as a proper UNIX system. Seems all they want me
>   for is NFS serving. I guess I'll grab all this memory I've been sitting
>   on and stuff it in the disk cache." And

No, it doesn't work that way.  Files are paged in from disk.  The paging
subsystem's lists of pages (which ultimately describe all of non-kernel
memory) replace the traditional UNIX disk buffer cache for file data.
The only objects which use the buffer cache are file system "meta" operations
like reads of on-disk inodes and indirect blocks.  Now, this is (I believe)
Sun OS 4.1 and (fer sure) Sys Vr4.  Earlier versions of Sun OS and other
vendor's UNIX systems may use a traditional disk buffer cache.

The rest of this discussion is really rather moronic.  I can't believe
I'm reading someone describe a Netware server as "better" because it
doesn't have a compiler and thus can't have its cycles and disk arms used
for some other purpose.

I suggest that the merits of the Novell NFS server be based on its
empirically observed performance, and not on marketspeak and dubious
distinctions which are irrelevant.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
dyer@arktouros.mit.edu, dyer@hstbme.mit.edu

saddison@ca.excelan.com (Skip Addison) (03/12/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1991 21:36:58 GMT

In article <6807@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>From Novell, donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) writes:
>
>You seem to be in your own little DOS world.

Don has his good and bad points just like the rest of us; however, there's
one thing he's NOT, and that's "in his own little DOS world".  You've
unfairly stereotyped Novell employees as badly as you've stereotyped our
products.

-- Skip

tb@Materna.DE (Torsten Beyer) (03/12/91)

saddison@ca.excelan.com (Skip Addison) writes:

Skip,

>As Unix machines increasingly move into the business world, they're
>increasingly running database applications.  Random I/O with seeks all
>over the place is the norm for these applications.

Granted, BUT these don't have to be NFS-Servers ? Usually Databases build up
their own filesystems anyway so you can't even use NFS. I think DB is a
different story....

		ciao
			-Torsten
--

backman@vaxeline.ftp.com (Larry Backman) (03/13/91)

In article <6807@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>I wrote:
>>>Is the Novell solution also going to offer a DOS _client_ NFS package?
>
>From Novell, donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) writes:
>>Novell provides a DOS *NetWare* client with their server.  What would
>>be the point of also offering a DOS NFS client in the same package?  I
>
>You seem to be in your own little DOS world.  What would be the point?

I think before you castigate Don so publically that you should remember
that he has been one of the voices of interoperability & connectivity
from Novell over the past 2 years.
>My friend, interoperability's the point.  If you add an NFS server to
>your Netware servers, Unix users can then get access to files stored
>on them.  But DOS users are still stuck with accessing only files on
>the Novell servers, unless Portable Netware is installed on the Unix
>systems.

That sure sounds like a stretegic decision made at levels in Novell
far, far above those writing on the Internet...

It's basically half-a-loaf.  On the one hand, you're encouraging
>companies to add TCP/IP Unix systems to their Novell networks, and on the
>other you're not providing comparable access for DOS users.

Again; a strategic decision, if you control the servers; you control
the network; or something like that....

>All of this actually surprises me, because I'm used to running into
>high prices in the Unix marketplace.  For the DOS marketplace to offer
>higher prices than corresponding Unix products, this is new to me.

yes the prices are high; so is a Sparc-II by the time you add all the
bells & whistles to it.  Yes also, Sun's NFSD is free but bundled
software isn't always given the loving care that a software only
product is.

I personally would love to spend 4-5K for a server that is reliable
(Checksums Don?) does intelligent datagram adapation based on
MTU size as well as whetehr or not a router is involved.

In addition I'd love to see an NFS Server that screams, as opposed to
clunks as many of the other < $50,000 NFS Servers seem to do.

a				Larry Backman
				backman@ftp.com

tb@Materna.DE (Torsten Beyer) (03/15/91)

Keith,

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) writes:
>one out. I believe you, but I'm having a little trouble finding out anything
>about how they implemented it (true dynamic disk cache allocation). Perhaps

I'm not sure, but I believe you won't find anything about that in the docs.
Sun changed their memory management dramatically when they went to 4.x. The
new design basically maps every fileacces to paging. So files don't get read
in the way they used to in the old days (via the buffer cache) instead they
get PAGED in. The trick now is that all pages reside on a page list which
more or less works like an LRU list. So once a file get's paged in, it'll
stay in it's pages until the kernel decides somebody else could use these
pages in a better way. As all memory (except for kernel memory and static
kernel structures) is in the page pool, this memory CAN act as a buffer
cache. Considering a configuration where a system only acts as an NFS
server, it's very likely that most unused processes will be swapped to disk,
thus freeing up real memory as buffer pages. This is basicaly the way it
works (if I remember correctly). I used to know all this a lot better, when
I had access to the SunOS 4.0 source, which is about a year ago. Sun
presented some papers about their memory management strategies at USENIX
conferences (i think in 88 and 89). Offhand I don't know the exacy
conferences and names of the authors. If you are interested I'll scan my
desk and homedirectory to find more precise information.

>1) At what point does SunOS say to itself "Hmm.. Nobody appears to be
>   interested in using me as a proper UNIX system. Seems all they want me
>   for is NFS serving. I guess I'll grab all this memory I've been sitting
>   on and stuff it in the disk cache." And

Like I said, there is no explicit point at which a server says that. The
"decision" depends on what the system does. Acting only as an NFS server
will put the system in the described state within a minute or so. It's just
that more and more pages are used by files.

>2) What happens when a UNIX based (sorry, SunOS based) NFS server that
>   has made this desision is slumbering in it's machine room at 3 O'Clock
>   in the morning when I, heavily camoflaged as a 9 track tape drive, sneak
>   up to its console and give it a nasty surprise by logging in and firing
>   up the biggest make(1) its ever seen in its life?

This is where your anti-UNIX argument is right. At this point the kernel
will, according to it's paging strategy, throw out (file)pages in order to
get memory for the make and it's children. This will certainly degrade the
fileserving performance

>And I'll certainly be pleased to show it to you. I'm at the mercy of our
>German office regarding the equipment I'll have but hopefully they'll
>provide me with something meaty enough to make it impressive. If I arrive

Unfortunately this articel arrived here one day too late. I visited CeBIT
yesterday and tried to find somebody at the Novell booth to show me your NFS
stuff. They were however extremely unfriendly and told me it was not
possible and nobody was demonstrating it... :-(. I'm certain somebody did,
but I couldn't manage to find the right person (the boot was extremely
packed).

>In my situation, no! I'm not monitoring a nuclear reactor, niether am
>I scanning the skies over Iraq looking for incoming scuds. If I was I'd
>turn write through back on. I'm comfortable in the knowledge that my
>NetWare NFS server is doing its damndest to flush my data to disk every
>three seconds if it can. Besides, in my experiance, my client is far
>more likely to crash than my server. Then where's all my valuable data?

Hmm, we have a Novell-Net here and it basically works ok. Recently however
we had problems with our power supply and the server would crash regularly
(of course not it's fault). This led to me loosing one hours work of
typing... This wouldn't have happened if I were using NFS.

			ciao

				-Torsten
--

tfb@unf7.UUCP (t blakely) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar9.230016.3431@novell.com> donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) writes:
>Providing interoperability would be a justification for providing a
>DOS NFS client as a separate product, but it provides very little
>value as a piece of an NFS product built on top of NetWare.
So you don't think my PC users should be able to access files on the
Novell server and files on my unix box via NFS at the same time?  Or
should I have to buy Novell's NFS server software to do this?  Why
not just the NFS client support?

Tom Blakely
tfb@sinkhole.unf.edu

cudcv@warwick.ac.uk (Rob McMahon) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Feb28.175058.16007@novell.com> donp@na.excelan.com (don
provan) writes:
>In article <6638@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>>It's not only not the cheapest, it's also quite deficient.  How many Unix
>>people are going to like the filenaming limitations imposed by the DOS
>>filesystem?
>
>Your information is incorrect.  Any legal UNIX file name is legal in
>Novell's NFS; it does *not* limit itself to legal DOS names.

I've only just been pointed at this discussion, this is not a group I normally
read.  I also don't want to fan the flame war, tb@Materna.DE (Torsten Beyer)
has already rebuked most of the more misinformed anti-Unix comments like not
being able to use such a big disk cache, having to keep switching context to
user mode processes etc.  But I do have one serious question.

We've seen the Novell NFS server supports long filenames (256 characters /
component ?) with unlimited character sets (all 8 bits ?), but does it also
support hard and soft links, character and block devices, named pipes, Unix
domain sockets, and such ?

Cheers,

Rob
--
UUCP:   ...!mcsun!ukc!warwick!cudcv	PHONE:  +44 203 523037
JANET:  cudcv@uk.ac.warwick             INET:   cudcv@warwick.ac.uk

tb@Materna.DE (Torsten Beyer) (03/20/91)

cudcv@warwick.ac.uk (Rob McMahon) writes:

>In article <1991Feb28.175058.16007@novell.com> donp@na.excelan.com (don
>We've seen the Novell NFS server supports long filenames (256 characters /
>component ?) with unlimited character sets (all 8 bits ?), but does it also
>support hard and soft links, character and block devices, named pipes, Unix
>domain sockets, and such ?

C'mon Rob, let's be fair. Skip pipes and devices. These won't work with NFS
either (although they do with RFS (to my knowledge at least, any RFS gurus
outthere ?)). Links are mandatory though.

			ciao
				-Torsten
--
Torsten Beyer                      e-mail : tb@Materna.DE
Dr. Materna GmbH		   VOX    : +49 231 5599 225
Vosskuhle 37			   FAX    : +49 231 5599 100
D-4600 Dortmund 1,  West Germany

donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) (03/20/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1991 20:22:52 GMT

In article <354@unf7.UUCP> tfb@unf7.UUCP (t blakely) writes:
>In article <1991Mar9.230016.3431@novell.com> donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) writes:
>>Providing interoperability would be a justification for providing a
>>DOS NFS client as a separate product, but it provides very little
>>value as a piece of an NFS product built on top of NetWare.
>
>So you don't think my PC users should be able to access files on the
>Novell server and files on my unix box via NFS at the same time?

I think your PC users should be able to do whatever they want.  I'm
just pointing out that there's no particular reason for you to assume
that NetWare NFS should solve this problem.

NetWare NFS allows NFS clients to access files on NetWare servers.  I
don't speak for Novell NFS development, but it strikes me that you are
discussing the opposite problem: allowing PCs to access files on NFS
servers.  The nothing wrong with wanting to access NFS from a PC, i
just don't consider the lack of a solution in NetWare NFS to be a
deficiency.
						don provan
						donp@novell.com

bryan@npd.Novell.COM (Bryan Cardoza) (03/20/91)

In article <tb.669407545@elwood> tb@Materna.DE (Torsten Beyer) writes:
|cudcv@warwick.ac.uk (Rob McMahon) writes:
|>We've seen the Novell NFS server supports long filenames (256 characters /
|>component ?) with unlimited character sets (all 8 bits ?), but does it also
|>support hard and soft links, character and block devices, named pipes, Unix
|>domain sockets, and such ?
|
|C'mon Rob, let's be fair. Skip pipes and devices. These won't work with NFS
|either (although they do with RFS (to my knowledge at least, any RFS gurus
|outthere ?)). Links are mandatory though.

And symbolic and hard links do indeed work.

--
Bryan Cardoza                             <bryan_cardoza@npd.novell.com>
Software Engineer

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (03/21/91)

In article <tb.669407545@elwood> tb@Materna.DE (Torsten Beyer) writes:
>C'mon Rob, let's be fair. Skip pipes and devices. These won't work with NFS
>either (although they do with RFS (to my knowledge at least, any RFS gurus
>outthere ?)).

If this were true, then diskless workstations wouldn't work very well,
would they?  FIFOs and special devices work under NFS but they're
interpreted locally on the client--they do not access resources on
the server.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
dyer@arktouros.mit.edu, dyer@hstbme.mit.edu

jeremy@ka.novell.com (Jeremy Liang) (03/21/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1991 17:39:54 GMT

cudcv@warwick.ac.uk (Rob McMahon) writes:
|>We've seen the Novell NFS server supports long filenames (256 characters /
|>component ?) with unlimited character sets (all 8 bits ?), but does it also
|>support hard and soft links, character and block devices, named pipes, Unix
|>domain sockets, and such ?

Let me set the record straight. Yes, NetWare NFS does support hard/symbolic
links, character and block devices, name pipes, and UNIX domain sockets.

cudcv@warwick.ac.uk (Rob McMahon) (03/22/91)

In article <tb.669407545@elwood> tb@Materna.DE (Torsten Beyer) writes:
>Skip pipes and devices. These won't work with NFS either (although they do
>with RFS ...).

Hmm, pipes seem to work fine for me:

% ls -lg pipe
prw-r--r--   1 cudcv    staff           0 Mar 21 14:20 pipe
% df .
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
orchid:/home/orchid   254785  227401    1905    99%    /home/orchid
% echo gronk > pipe &
[1] 1874
% cat < pipe
[1]    Done                 echo gronk > pipe
gronk
%

Emacsclient likes to create Unix domain sockets in your home directory, so
pipes and sockets at least are a necessity if you have your home directory on
such a server.

Devices work fine too, although Joe Average User can't create them, so they're
much less important.  They just work differently to RFS, accessing local
instead of remote devices.  Which is the `right' way of working is not a
discussion for this group.

Cheers,

Rob
--

tb@Materna.DE (Torsten Beyer) (03/22/91)

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>In article <tb.669407545@elwood> tb@Materna.DE (Torsten Beyer) writes:
>>C'mon Rob, let's be fair. Skip pipes and devices. These won't work with NFS
>>either (although they do with RFS (to my knowledge at least, any RFS gurus
>If this were true, then diskless workstations wouldn't work very well,
>would they?  FIFOs and special devices work under NFS but they're
>interpreted locally on the client--they do not access resources on
>the server.

Right. This was what I wanted to say with my previous posting. Pipes and
stuff don't work NETWIDE. Of course they do locally....

This however brings up the question if a Novell-NFS-Server could be used as
the server of a diskless machine. And you are right, if the Novell ppl do
not support Pipes/Devices it probably won't do the job. Comments anyone ?
--

david@slc6.INS.CWRU.Edu (David Nerenberg) (03/25/91)

>I don't speak for Novell NFS development, but it strikes me that you are
>discussing the opposite problem: allowing PCs to access files on NFS
>servers.

This is one of the things we would like to be able to do.  We already
own rather large disks for Unix/Sun/NFS systems, and would love to "link"
the netware need to these disks.  For me here, it would certainly beat
having to buy more disks just for netware, and others just for NFS.

						Dave

--
david@ins.cwru.edu                            David Nerenberg
73107,177 Compuserve                          Information Network Services