[comp.sys.novell] Mapping

Ullrich_Fischer@mindlink.UUCP (Ullrich Fischer) (03/21/91)

Here's a possible solution to those who have been wrestling with MAP INS
problems of late:

In my system login script, I map drive letters as needed according to the
users' group membership.  I map no search drives, but (again determined by each
user's group membership) use the DOS SET PATH= command in the login script to
set the DOS PATH.  This seems to work on our 286 servers as well as the 386
server.  The only wrinkle here is that where in dos you might use
PATH=C:\DOS;C:\NORTON;D:\fox210;...
the corresponding DOS SET login script command has to be
 DOS SET PATH="C:\\DOS;F:\\PUBLIC;...."
since single \ characters seem to get lost.

One note on the search mapping.  You should use a minimum search path
when running under NETWARE 286 or you will run out of DYNAMIC RAM 1
(watch for it of your FCONSOLE STATISTICS SUMMARY screen) and
thereafter no one will be able to log on at best and at worst, the
server will crash.

Rather than try to include a PATH entry for every application you are
ever likely to use, set up either a menu system which moves to the
necessary directory and does temporary mapping required before calling
up each application, or set up short batch files which do the same
thing and are all located in F:\PUBLIC (which should always be in your
minimum search path).
--

---    Ullrich Fischer  phone (604) 684 9371  Vancouver, BC, Canada ---
                 Ullrich_Fischer@mindlink.uucp

heflin@cod.NOSC.MIL (Greg R. Heflin) (03/24/91)

In article <5215@mindlink.UUCP> Ullrich_Fischer@mindlink.UUCP (Ullrich Fischer) writes:
>Rather than try to include a PATH entry for every application you are
>ever likely to use, set up either a menu system which moves to the
>necessary directory and does temporary mapping required before calling
>up each application, or set up short batch files which do the same
>thing and are all located in F:\PUBLIC (which should always be in your
>minimum search path).
>---    Ullrich Fischer  phone (604) 684 9371  Vancouver, BC, Canada ---
>                 Ullrich_Fischer@mindlink.uucp

I setup batch files for all the applications, which are called from
WP's shell menu.  I setup all the batch files on the PRESUMTION that
everyone's FIRST drive on the network would be F.
(I'm running 386 v3.1, and connecting 100+ PC's that were and still are
used as stand alone machines)
Well, . . . notice my surpse, and frustration, when on PCs with 2
physical hard disk drives and a ram drive running (?)msdos 3.3 or
Zenith dos 3.3plus their first network drive is G! not F.

That made me be more carefull in the future.  I setup a scratch drive: X
that I use for all batch/path statements.

Is there a way in Netware to specify what the FIRST drive will ALWAYS be?
(Setting lastdrive= in EVERY pc's config.sys is UNACCEPTABLE).

I'm down to one person who still has this problem, but he doesn't want
to change his system.  That's ok with me, but then I don't respond to
his problem any more either :)
--
-gregory  	**	Just my two cents which shouldn't make a flame,
	  	**	unless you rub them real hard.

jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) (03/26/91)

I have a util that will set the default drive to the first novell
mappable drive from a batch file.  This drive is the login directory
when you first load the drivers.

ipx/net3 stuff
first novell drive util
LOGIN

I also have two utils that determine the state of a login (no shells loaded,
shells loaded not logged in, logged in) and what type of netx driver to
load - xms, ems, conventional.  They all return ERRORLEVEL.

I use these in a batch file so that folks just type Novell and it
loads them up (or tells them they are already logged in...)
If they change their lastdrive or memory driver it still loads...

You are welcome to them (as is anyone)

jamesp@world.std.com