[comp.sys.novell] Watcom C & Novell.

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (03/22/91)

After all the problems I have been having with the code generated by TurboC, I
have decided to change compilers for my Novell developement work. So, does
anyone on the net have experience with the Novell C compiler? Is it just the
straight watcom C compiler, and does it have an integrated developement
environment, source code debugger, profiler etc?

Many thanks..

|  Hamish Marson   <h.marson@waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
|  Computer Support Person,  Computer Science Department                     |
|  University of Waikato                                                     |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |

jims@svcs1.UUCP (Jim Serwer) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar22.105548.3212@waikato.ac.nz> hamish@waikato.ac.nz writes:

>After all the problems I have been having with the code generated by TurboC, I
>have decided to change compilers for my Novell developement work. So, does
>anyone on the net have experience with the Novell C compiler?
>--
>|  Hamish Marson   <h.marson@waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
   (stuff deleted)

Sorry I have never used Watcom.  But I do have a question and a comment
on TurboC.

Question:  What version of TurboC are you using?  What is the nature
of your problems?

Comment:  I am using Borland C++ v2.0 and NetWare C Interface for DOS (CID)
v1.10.  I have reported a number of bugs to Borland for the Development
Environment, but never for the compiler.  In fact, I have one program
that bombs when compiled by MSC 5.1 and works when compiled by Borland C++.

Jim Serwer
jims%svcs1@mips.com   or   ...!uunet!mips!svcs1!jims

yung@contact.uucp (03/29/91)

Jim Serwer writes:
>In article <1991Mar22.105548.3212@waikato.ac.nz> hamish@waikato.ac.nz writes:
>>
>>After all the problems I have been having with the code generated by TurboC, I
>>have decided to change compilers for my Novell developement work. So, does
>>anyone on the net have experience with the Novell C compiler?
>>--
>>==============================================================================
>>|  Hamish Marson   <h.marson@waikato.ac.nz>                                  |
>
>   (stuff deleted)
>
>Sorry I have never used Watcom.  But I do have a question and a comment
>on TurboC.
>
>Question:  What version of TurboC are you using?  What is the nature
>of your problems?
>
>Comment:  I am using Borland C++ v2.0 and NetWare C Interface for DOS (CID)
>v1.10.  I have reported a number of bugs to Borland for the Development
>Environment, but never for the compiler.  In fact, I have one program
>that bombs when compiled by MSC 5.1 and works when compiled by Borland C++.
>
>Jim Serwer

I started out using the Watcom C compiler to write VAPs. But I decided to
give it up after getting really frustrated with the documentations. Now I
am using Turbo C++ 2.0. At this moment, I am still feeling my way with
the new compiler and keeping my finger crossed that it will work with netware.
Anybody got comment on how well Turbo C++ will work on netware?

As I see it, I would MUCH rather use assembly, except Novell charge $200 for
their system call libaries. Am I the only one that think this kind of robbery
should be outlawed?

-Amos Yung

Amos Yung    *       " Don't be silly. Of course the plane
email:       *         won't crash. *I* am on it!!! "
utai!contact *              -Murphy Brown.