[comp.sys.novell] Packet Driver

Aengus Lawlor <RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET> (03/25/91)

Is there a packet driver for the Excelan 205 card, (it's not in the version
8.0 collection from Clarkson).

There are only a handful of these cards here, and I would be a lot more
comfortable if they were configured the same way as all the other 3C503s.

In a similiar vein, I have heard it said that the BYU code doesn't work
with FTPs packet driver to NDIS converter. In fact (rummaging about on my desk)
the readme from FTP says that as of 1-15-90, it didn't work, but the problem
was being investigated. There is no indication that it was ever resolved.

Anyone know the current status of this?
(the same doc mentions an NDIS driver from excelan, which could provide a
work-around to the non-existence of an excelan packet driver.)

--
rbyaml@rohmhaas.com (preferred)       Aengus Lawlor
rbyaml@rohvm1.bitnet                  (who used to be alawlor@dit.ie)

In article <91084.155749RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET> Aengus Lawlor <RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET> writes:

   Is there a packet driver for the Excelan 205 card, (it's not in the version
   8.0 collection from Clarkson).

No, but you're not the first person to ask for one...

   In a similiar vein, I have heard it said that the BYU code doesn't
   work with FTPs packet driver to NDIS converter. In fact (rummaging
   about on my desk) the readme from FTP says that as of 1-15-90, it
   didn't work, but the problem was being investigated. There is no
   indication that it was ever resolved.

Someone has a fix for that problem, but I don't know what the release status
of it is...

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

jrd@cc.usu.edu (03/29/91)

In article <91084.155749RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET>, Aengus Lawlor <RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET> writes:
> Is there a packet driver for the Excelan 205 card, (it's not in the version
> 8.0 collection from Clarkson).
>
> There are only a handful of these cards here, and I would be a lot more
> comfortable if they were configured the same way as all the other 3C503s.
>
> In a similiar vein, I have heard it said that the BYU code doesn't work
> with FTPs packet driver to NDIS converter. In fact (rummaging about on my desk)
> the readme from FTP says that as of 1-15-90, it didn't work, but the problem
> was being investigated. There is no indication that it was ever resolved.
>
> Anyone know the current status of this?
> (the same doc mentions an NDIS driver from excelan, which could provide a
> work-around to the non-existence of an excelan packet driver.)
>
> --
> rbyaml@rohmhaas.com (preferred)       Aengus Lawlor
> rbyaml@rohvm1.bitnet                  (who used to be alawlor@dit.ie)

	Maybe I can add a little clarification here. The EXOS205 board is
a "smart" Ethernet board which wants to hold most of the protocol stacks,
plural, on the board. It has a builtin cpu etc, and it runs both TCP/IP
and NetWare stacks simultaneously. It also can speak either Ethernet_II
or NetWare style 802.3, depending on how you configure the Excelan software.
A Packet Driver is pretty much out of the question because of all the
proprietary code loaded into the board's cpu.
	Second, I have improved FTP's shim program, dis_pkt, so that it
does support BYU style NetWare shells over NDIS. The program provides a
Packet Driver interface on top and talks to NDIS below. The program is
back in the hands of the real owners, FTP Software Inc. I have run NetWare
in parallel with FTP's PC/TCP package, both organized for Packet Drivers,
together with the NDIS version of Lan Manager; no problem. The program is
not in the shape for general distribution, but it might be made so if FTP
wishes.
	I have an EXOS205 board and I run Novell/Excelan's LAN WorkPlace
for DOS with it, to provide both Windows 3 compatible NetWare and TCP/IP
functions. It's pretty good this time so have a look at that software.
	Joe D.