[comp.sys.novell] SYS:PUBLIC/MSDOS/Vx.xx

mcphil@med.unc.edu (Philip McNamara) (03/28/91)

Can anyone give me some really good reasons to map a search path
to a DOS on the file server?  Is there some problem with keeping
the DOS local?  I know for diskless staitons you need the dos
on the file server, but I should think it is unnecessary for PC's.

I await enlightenment.

Philip McNamara
McPhil@MED.UNC.EDU

will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (William Sadler) (03/28/91)

In <3125@beguine.UUCP> mcphil@med.unc.edu (Philip McNamara) writes:

>Can anyone give me some really good reasons to map a search path
>to a DOS on the file server?  Is there some problem with keeping
>the DOS local?  I know for diskless staitons you need the dos
>on the file server, but I should think it is unnecessary for PC's.

I have DOS mapped on the server for two reasons.  The first (and most
important) is that most of my workstations are two floppy PCs.
Consequently they would have to swap disks to get full DOS functionality.
With DOS on the server they don't have to worry about it.  The second
reason is that through a login script variable I can automatically
set COMSPEC to whatever version of DOS the workstation is running. This
means that if I go log in on a machine running 4.0 I don't get the
INVALID COMSPEC message after running WordPErfect or something similar
that swaps command.com out to disk.

>I await enlightenment.

Don't we all.

Will
*   _______________\|/_      Will Sadler     will@cica.indiana.edu        *
*   Laser 44888    /|\                       sadler@iubacs.bitnet         *

ckinsman@eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman) (03/29/91)

In article <3125@beguine.UUCP> mcphil@med.unc.edu (Philip McNamara) writes:
>Can anyone give me some really good reasons to map a search path
>to a DOS on the file server?  Is there some problem with keeping
>the DOS local?  I know for diskless staitons you need the dos
>on the file server, but I should think it is unnecessary for PC's.
>
>I await enlightenment.

I don't map search paths to DOS but I do leave dos on the server to ease
installation of new machines and resetup of old ones.

Chris Kinsman  					KINSMAN@WSUVM1
Washington State University			22487863@WSUVM1
Computing Service Center			ckinsman@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu

rogers@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Bill Rogers) (03/30/91)

ckinsman@eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman) writes:

>In article <3125@beguine.UUCP> mcphil@med.unc.edu (Philip McNamara) writes:
>>Can anyone give me some really good reasons to map a search path
>>to a DOS on the file server?  Is there some problem with keeping
>>the DOS local?  I know for diskless staitons you need the dos
>>on the file server, but I should think it is unnecessary for PC's.

Many of the machines in our student lab boot form ROM's on the card without
floppy. And so they don't normally keep dos with them. We have it mapped for
these people and have set the comspec, but We do "if exist c:\command.com" in
the system login and let the user use the local copy if it's there.
Bill

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (03/31/91)

I map in the DOS directory because, on public systems in a student
lab, you can never be sure what files might be deleted from the local
DOS directory.

However, I can think of a couple of reasons NOT to map in this dir:

  1.  There is more than 1 version of IBM's DOS 3.3.  The only way to
      tell which you've got is to check the file dates.
  2.  NetWare can't tell the difference between DOS 4.00 and DOS 4.01.

Granted, these problems are moot if you have complete control over the
configuration of all your clients workstations.  But some users are
touchy about DOS versions and such.  I had to lock one user off the
LAN becuase he refused to let me upgrade his ipx/net3.

Mark Medici/SysProg3 * RUCS/User Services * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu