[comp.sys.novell] Where, oh where has my path gone?

earp@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James K Earp) (03/29/91)

We're running Netware 386 on ethernetjjhh (oops!  Sorry!) on
an ethernet network.  Only thing I can't figure out is how come
the PC paths get blown away when we login then logout.  Looks like
the search paths replace the first directories in teh  (sigh!) the
MSDOS path command.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

karinc@isc.intel.com (Karin Coffee) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar29.131908.21047@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> earp@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James K Earp) writes:

>We're running Netware 386 on ethernetjjhh (oops!  Sorry!) on
>an ethernet network.  Only thing I can't figure out is how come
>the PC paths get blown away when we login then logout.  Looks like
>the search paths replace the first directories in teh  (sigh!) the
>MSDOS path command.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

If you always use MAP INSERT instead of just MAP for you search drives, your
DOS path will be intact when you log out.

   Karin Coffee				Intel Supercomputer Systems Division
   Network/System Administration	15201 NW Greenbrier Parkway
   The LAN Lords 			Beaverton, OR  97201
   karinc@ssd.intel.com 		(503) 629-7693

trier@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu (Stephen C. Trier) (03/30/91)

In article <1228@intelisc.isc.intel.com> karinc@isc.intel.com (Karin Coffee) writes:
>If you always use MAP INSERT instead of just MAP for you search drives, your
>DOS path will be intact when you log out.

Not always.  I have had different computers with almost-identical
configurations and the same login script (same user ID, even!  ;-)
either keep the path or replace it, even if MAP INS is used.  I've
concluded that it has something to do with the order of the variables
in the environment, since redefining PATH to the exact same contents
will change the behavior to what you describe.  I haven't spent the
time to narrow it down any more, or to determine what is causing
this to happen.

--
Stephen Trier                              Case Western Reserve University
Work: trier@cwlim.ins.cwru.edu             Information Network Services

Rick_Vandenberg@mindlink.UUCP (Rick Vandenberg) (03/31/91)

We were running two servers, one with NW 286, the other with 386 3.0. When I
set up the users' IDs on the new (386) server, I had the same problems, but
also had extra drives mapped that I had not specified. It drove me crazy, until
I figured out that the default login script was doing it. I setup blank login
scripts for all the users, and presto! everything worked.

Rick Vandenberg                Rick_Vandenberg@Mindlink.UUCP
Vandenberg Systems Research

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (03/31/91)

earp@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James K Earp) writes:
>We're running Netware 386 on ethernetjjhh (oops!  Sorry!) on
>an ethernet network.  Only thing I can't figure out is how come
>the PC paths get blown away when we login then logout.  Looks like
>the search paths replace the first directories in teh  (sigh!) the
>MSDOS path command.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Use MAP INSERT SEARCHn:=vol:path

This will insert the path into your existing search path.  When you
logout of the server, the network search mappings will be deleted but
your original path will survive.

Alternatively, you could do some environment variable acrobatics:

rem LOGIN.BAT -- Saves current search path in env. var. OldPath
rem              and logs user in.
set OldPath=%PATH%
L:\LOGIN\LOGIN %1

rem LOGOUT.BAT -- Logs user out and restores previous search path
c:
Z:\PUBLIC\LOGOUT
set PATH=%OldPath%
set OldPath=

Large search paths with small environments may result in an error.  If
this occurs, increase the environment size with the DOS 3.3 and higer
command:

  SHELL=c:\command.com /e:640 /p

in the config.sys file.  You can vary the 640 to whatever size fits
your needs.

Mark Medici/SysProg3 * RUCS/User Services * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) (04/01/91)

I don't have problems if you insert novell drives at the END of the
path.  INS S16:=serv/vol:dir/.....
If I insert then anywhere else I get unpredictable results @ logoff.
You can do multiple ins s16:

jamesp@world.std.com

AMillar@cup.portal.com (Alan DI Millar) (04/02/91)

One thing I found with the paths is NetWare's dislike of lower-case.
Normally it shouldn't matter, but I found if I had a directory in
my path which was lower case, NetWare would drop it.  If you use
the Dos "PATH" command, everything will be upshifted before being
stored as an environment variable.  However, if you use "SET PATH="
it will be stored in the environment without being upshifted.  Dos
doesn't care, but Netware will delete it.  Poof.

(This was 2.15)

- Alan Millar    AMillar@cup.portal.com