[comp.sys.novell] TCP/IP Services for Netware

earp@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James K Earp) (04/01/91)

We're operating an Ethernet Network with 2 Netware 2.10 SFT
servers and one Netware 386 server.  We have a need to provide
the full suite of TCP/IP network services (Telnet, FTP, & SMTP)
to all users on all servers.  A local vendor suggested some kind of
stand-alone TCP server that would run on a dedicated 386 machine
under OS/2.  Sounds expensive & complicated to me.  There has to be
some method whereby the TCP/IP software would reside and execute on
one or more of the existing netware servers and would either use the
existing network cards or would possibly require an additional
network card.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also, thanks to all those who responded to my path problem question.
Suggestions were very helpful.  Seems to work now.

May the force be with you!

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (04/03/91)

earp@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James K Earp) writes:
>We're operating an Ethernet Network with 2 Netware 2.10 SFT
>servers and one Netware 386 server.  We have a need to provide
>the full suite of TCP/IP network services (Telnet, FTP, & SMTP)
>to all users on all servers. ...  There has to be
>some method whereby the TCP/IP software would reside and execute on
>one or more of the existing netware servers ...

It depends on what you want to do, exactly.  There is a very cheap
way to provide the above without any cost at all, given that you
already have Ethernet cards and cabling in place.  Get the following
items:

	- Clarkson Telnet  (from omnigate.clarkson.edu)
	- BYU/Clarkson Packet drivers (same place)
	- CMU/MIT PC/IP

There are a number of distribution sites for this software.  There
is also an NFS server called SOS, which I'm about to release in a new
improved version; it allows you to export Novell filesystems to Unix
or other NFS users.

With this software, and a single Ethernet card in each DOS system, you
then run a dual-protocol stack with both TCP/IP and NetWare.  The
packet driver routes packets to the appropriate software, allowing you
to (for example) FTP files directly from a Unix system via TCP/IP to
a Novell server.  I've had no problems with the Clarkson software, either,
contrary to the negative image often associated with public-domain
software.

You do not need a "TCP/IP server" resident in your Novell servers, although
that would be nice for gateway and SMTP service.  NetWare version 3.11,
now being released, will have a TCP/IP gateway and some other features
in it (I'm looking forward to seeing them).  An NFS server is coming out
soon, implemented as an add-on NLM to the existing Novell software.

The dual-protocol stack solution seems to me the cleanest way of allowing
users access to any system on the network regardless of whether it's
running NetWare or TCP/IP.  You don't need any additional hardware.

Novell will probably have quite a few more TCP/IP offerings in the future,
now that they've committed to more support in 3.11.

One problem I have not licked is an SMTP gateway to cc:Mail, a popular
e-mail product for Novell networks.  FTP Software provides a public-
domain solution, but it requires allocating a couple of spare PCs.  Now
that Unix programs can get direct NFS access to files on Novell servers, I
can envision running a cc:Mail gateway under Unix rather than DOS.  It hasn't
been done yet, though.

-rich